• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your mental age?

Guendolen

I am currently 29 years old but i have people complaining very often that my mental age is around 16. Many times i realise especially after they explain to me that i am a teenage person frozen in time. I have done some improvements but keep being child-like most of the time. I have read here that many aspies look way younger than their age, myself included. Are you guys younger in spirit too?

Well I definitely look a lot younger than I am (basically because I am late going through puberty and stuff), but a lot of the time I have felt like my mental age is younger too. For example, when I was doing my GCSEs I just felt like I wasn't ready. Thank god I've taken things slowly since I left school though!

I am definitely younger in spirit! My desk at work looks like a teenager works here. In my mind I'd say I'm maybe 18, and I'm 28 right now. The weird thing is that I feel super young mentally but at the same time feel that I'm an "old soul" and in a lot of ways more thoughtful and mature than people my age. I get told all the time I look very young. I dress very young also, jeans and nerdy t-shirts with colored Chucks.

I am 45 now, but am told I look very much younger and some even tell me that I will always be a teenager, but I believe that is mostly to do with me not being able to be a teen, when I was, due to being blackmailed into to being a carer for my gran at 18! So, I am going back wards lol

Even though I am married, a lot of times, I feel that I am playing a grown up game, which is also, probably why I am useless on my own!

I love music at top volume and rather listen to music, than chat.

If you ask me how many kids my wife and I have, I would tell you six. If you ask my wife how many kids she has, she will tell you seven. With me being the oldest. It's just that my body seems like it's older than my mind.

Hmm, maybe emotionally still a child and mentally in my forties lol I have hung out with people twice my age when I hang out with my dad and his radio buddies :)

I'm 27 nearing my thirties and hope that I don't get early grey hair like my dad lol

You can't really pin me to a number, except that it isn't what I'm supposed to be.

I recently got asked if I was a prospective college student. No, I said slowly, I WORK at the college... and it's been eighteen years since I was eighteen and looking at colleges. But thanks anyway...

Conversely, people have often told me that I am "wise beyond my years", so who knows what age applies!

I think I'm about 14-ish. I read somewhere that sometimes, with AS, a person's mental age is about 2/3 of their chronological age. So, I did the math: 22 times 2/3 (I have no idea if I did it correctly) and came up with 14.66666 repeating, and I guess that makes sense, that I'm about 14 emotionally.

Without makeup i look like a middle teenager. I am at age 21 and sound like a fourties old mommy. Maybe i should to enjoy about this, though now it isn't real time.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422585738321.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422585738321.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 264
I think I'm about 14-ish. I read somewhere that sometimes, with AS, a person's mental age is about 2/3 of their chronological age. So, I did the math: 22 times 2/3 (I have no idea if I did it correctly) and came up with 14.66666 repeating, and I guess that makes sense, that I'm about 14 emotionally.

Cool, this makes me 31 years, 3 months and 10 days old :)
I look about 10 years younger than my age, according to many.. I grew a beard when I was 23 as I was sick of not being able to buy my own alcohol (the law's 18 with ID in the UK). You only want to get so old before you wanna stop having to ask your parents/mates to buy drinks for ya :D

Mathematically calculated using the 2/3 formula = 17.6 years old (I will be 44 in March 2015)

That sounds about right at times. :smilecat:

I'm 24. My ex used to say that I act fairly mature, and look anywhere from 18-30. She used to use the term "ageless," and that's sort of how I feel. At times, extremely immature, at others, as if I've been alive for aeons. Seems pretty appropriate.

Two of my friends and a couple co-workers have said some stuff along the lines of "you look like you've seen some sh*t" or "you look like you've been through a lot," which is probably the most depressing thing you could ever say to anyone, ever. :mad:

New Threads

Top Bottom