• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Is Your Current Job/Emploment?

She's right.

There's a very fine line between flirting and teasing. Which at times escalates to a form of harassment. Made worse by total strangers approaching her who are indifferent to such considerations altogether. No one should have to be subject to such treatment day after day just to pick up a paycheck.

While at times we may find someone cute as hell, it never gives them the right to interact with them in such a way only meant for their own gratification whatever their reasoning might be. Be it at work or anywhere else.

Thank you. I'm so sick of my experiences being dismissed or made fun of by people who don't know what it's like.

Changed from 'funny' to 'tragic'.

I get the feeling you're mocking me. Anyway, there's no "tragic" rating.

If it wasn't for my current job, I'd still be in the dark that I had Asperger's. I started working as a substitute teacher's aide in my hometown school district after retiring with the federal government. I’ve lived with it all my life of 58 years, but I wasn't formally introduced to it until a 12-year-old and I crossed paths. Her creation of a world of her own making, seemingly talking to herself, at times pacing the floor, was the behavior that mirrored my own. It was the lightbulb moment that led to my discovery of my constant companion. I'm in the ideal job! It has helped me to talk to teachers and other aides who work with children who are on the spectrum. I receive more support from them than my inner family circle. It is therapeutic for me to work with children whose struggle are similar to my own. Helping them is helping me.

I am a CPA and do taxes. It is a good fit since I work with numbers all day and being detail oriented is essential. Some interaction with others is necessary as I work together with many different people. I think the entire office knows I have aspergers, but most let it slide and let me do my own thing b/c I'm probably the best preparer in the office (not to be arrogant). Plus, it is such a competitive environment, the only thing people care about is if you can get the job done and make life easier for them. Definitely a few others with autism in our office. Accounting firms have definitely caught on to the fact that people with autism bring valuable and skills to the table that most NT's don't possess. There were people with autism at my previous employer as well. I really hate the long hours during our busy time though. Speaking of that, I should be sleeping but I never can sleep anyway b/c my mind does not have an off switch.

Until they get rid of me, which is being worked on at the moment, I work in marketing and communications which, unsurprisingly, is not going well at all.
The hours are super long. Constant multi-tasking and changes from what was planned, both of which I am not equipped to handle. Phone calls all the time, either that I have to make to check on the progress of some operations, or that I receive from journalists and other people enquiring about everything, or, my personal pet peeve, industry magazines trying to sell media space, and I'm terrible at turning them down.
That being said, there are some aspects I'm better at than anybody else in the department, such as anything that involves pictures, editing our ads and promotional content, or setting up sheets to schedule events minute by minute (and they will roll out to perfection), but sadly, these are more like the cherry on top, and it's never noticed.
I tried to discuss my shortcomings several times, but the response was always "We don't care, it's not that hard."

I've read several times that Aspies should not work in communications, and that's an assertion I definitely second.
Maybe I'll get a few ideas for the next step from those of you who are happier at work.

Unemployed, living on disability checks currently. Although, I did work some odd jobs in the past; like landscaping, bottle washing, snow shovelling, etc. But I'm a drug addict/borderline alcoholic, so I'm pretty unfit to work as of now. Once I get clean and sober, I want to become a counsellor of some sort, or maybe even a psychologist. I think that'd be a pretty cool profession.

I'm currently graduating from med school. While not technically a job I do spend 50 hours a week working at the local hospital, so I think it qualifies for now :p It suits me because I have a clearly defined role, which makes it easy for me to interact with people. I spend 10% of my day interacting with patients and the other 90% interpreting lab and test results and coming up with and adjusting treatment plans based on my findings. I love it.
I'm currently looking for a PhD position for after my graduation, as well as a job as a doctor. I love superspecialized knowledge.

I am just curious, if you do work what do you do :)?

I am a baker at the local grocery store in this town. I do like my job and have had it since Novomeber. Passed my probation last month or February? Not sure. But yes i do like it :)!!

HBU?

I'm software developer and manage computer systems.

That great you past your probation period. Something I always count down the days when I start a new job. My previous job during my second month, they was talking about stuff I will be doing in the future which gave me a clue they will be keeping me past my probation period.

I'm currently unemployed on disability welfare, but I've had landscaping jobs in the past, as well as being a bottle washer for a packaging plant in a warehouse, and I also worked at a thrift store for a while.

I currently have no job.

I am currently involved in a major dispute with a guy at work, remember a while back I did a thread about the guy calling me a "Deaf C word", he has been making comments about my weight and other issues, and the other week was the final straw! Sorry but as much as I love the job, I cannot work with him, and he's there all the time stood behind me on the till.

New Threads

Top Bottom