• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Is The Point of Friendships?

I'm going to agree with Daniel, Ericho and Sass (sorry if I missed anybody who said something similar). It's also completely possible to be available for someone - which is the most important part of friendship IMO - without always agreeing with them.

Can't speak for everybody, but I like to seek out most people of a different religious/political/whatever belief because I enjoy working out what makes us the same or different, and also they may have a viewpoint that would give me a new way to think about something. But they really depends on how polite we can be, I don't stick around people always actively trying to convert people to their view point, or at least ones who do that in a very condescending and aggressive way. I do have my standards though, I don't really like people who think it's funny to make jokes about killing or hurting babies or animals. Some differences are just too different for us to be friends.

Most friendships are based around things they mutually enjoy rather than what they don't have in common. My best friend is the girliest girl I know, which normally I can't stand, but she's so sweet that it doesn't bother me, and we both like to laugh and play. I used to go to her house every week to play games and joke about stuff. Then I got really busy with college, moving, and other stuff, so I haven't been able to in a while. But she's still my best friend.

The truth is, if you have to ask, then you probably don't need friends.

I mean, if you need help moving, then you can always hire laborers. Friends are something people either instinctively want or don't. There are pros/cons to every specific friendship and for friendship generally. However, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing if you don't have friends or enjoy the company of others.

I have few people that I would call friends, and many of the people that I once had strong friendships with have become somewhat alien to me. Most of them were once interested in the same things I am intensely interested in, and people move on. Some old friends seemed to have an impression of me that is simply not who I am, because I spent a lot of time and energy trying to fit in, and I no longer do that. But there are quite a few people who I click with even if I don't see them often, or do anything with besides talk for a half an hour once in a while.

Most people to me seem like there is a dense cloak preventing me from seeing them, understanding them, and they understanding me. It kind of gives me the willies, that there is this impenetrable something between me and them. I guess since I'm the Aspie, that it's something to do with me. But then there are some people who seem to have some mysterious openness about them. They are the ones I connect with. Sometimes I think it's because they have no ulterior motive for engaging with me.

Sense of humor, interesting perspectives, unique personality. These are things that I am attracted to, and whether I share any views with them is immaterial. I suspect that few people would share my views anyways, since I am very solidly a live and let live kind of guy.

I worked with a guy who was approaching retirement, he was grouchy as heck, and most people at work tolerated him at best, or outright disliked him. I felt a kind of kinship with him or something and enjoyed his company, we often ate lunch together. I did not share any of his views on politics, society, or general outlook, but I had an appreciation for the contrast between us. It gave me a chance to see things from a different perspective.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom