• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is the hubbub that this is a "male disorder?"

Agree. Always get a second, or third opinion.

The advantage of being in a large hospital system is that you have a care team,...several doctors, nurses, therapists, pharmacists, etc. Everyone has some input, but also, a lot of questions get asked. There's a lot of critical thinking going on. So, even though the lead physician is ultimately responsible, he/she has a team around them questioning their every decision and even guiding him/her through the process.

If you are not in the hospital, but at an office, you and the physician are sort of isolated from that sort of interaction. So, yes, get another opinion.

In the doctors defense, it was the 80s. So maybe it was a little different then. A doctor would probably not do that now.

I'm certainly no expert and I know that my experience is miniscule, but throughout my life I have known a few autistic people. The numbers are almost equal between male and female. From my observations, the autistic elements of each is quite obvious - at least to me.

What I have also noticed is that regardless of any "disorders" or even perfectly "normal", more attention is always paid to boys. I think girls are less often diagnosed, not because they are less often autistic, or mask better, but because they are more often overlooked and ignored. Throughout my 70 years, I see parents keep having children until they finally get their cherished boy. When they do, the boy always gets the most attention. I noticed this even when I was a child and always thought it was unfair and illogical and never - to this day - understand why that is the case.

New Threads

Top Bottom