• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Is The Best Movie About Asperger's Syndrome?

If anyone has seen the movie "Good Burger," Ed definitely has Asperger's Syndrome. He is literally about everything, such as trying to "watch his butt," describes how 10 bucks sounds by literally crinkling a 10 dollar bill by his ear to listen to how it sounds, and people are led on to believe he is stupid the whole movie until near the end he gives an accurate description of how the legal process of court convictions and charges are disputed.

I will have to find Mozart and the whale- I just heard of this other Australian film with Philip Seymore Hoffman . Its all claymation, it is called Mary and Max.

Im stoked i have 2 movies to look for, I never find new movies I like.

Is anyone here looking forward to The Imitation Game as much as I am? Alan Turing: created the field of Computer Science, broke the Enigma Code and was pivotal to the outcome of WWII, but for the crime of being 'different' he suffered criminal punishment and subsequently committed suicide. Just last year the UK granted an official pardon, but what bothers me is that in my computer science education he was rarely mentioned.

And the icing on the cake: Alan Turing is being played by Benedict Cumberbatch. I can't wait!

if anyone hasnt seen it,woud recommend aquiring a film called ben x, its in a foreign language [am not good on geography,its possibly german],its about a lad with aspergers who is badly bullied at school,he is mildly affected by aspergers which isnt represented much in films-theyre usualy all trying to do stereotypical extreme versions to make it stand out to the uneducated general public.
the lad is obsessed with a world of warcraft rip off game to take the focus away from bullying and it all goes weird from there, he gets revenge on the bullies with the help of his parents- but in a very clever,educating non violent way.

woud recommend the black balloon if want to see a film based on severe classic autism,its the most realistic portrayal have ever seen of us.

My bid will have to be "Temple Grandin"
I am particularly fond of this movie because we share the same thought process.
I will got a returned call from her recently and we will meet in August.
temple grandins experience is classic autism though;not aspergers-she had a significant language delay and woud have been discounted from an aspergers rediagnosis based on that,congratulations on getting to meet her though she is a real rolemodel for autistics all over the spectrum.
the manager of this care home was going to see temple up north last [or earlier this] month at a conference with several other autism related people on stage including the comedian bloke that writes the 'my sons not rainman' blog,however temple canceled-was gutted for the manager.

I've never heard of it, but it sounds interesting.

Sorry, I should've included this: The Imitation Game will open in theaters November 21, 2014.

I just love that it combines so many things that I care about: computers & technology, Aspergers, the UK, ... and Benedict Cumberbatch (I'm sorry, the man is just amazing). Though I probably should say, the criminal charges against Turing weren't related to Aspergers ... he was criminally punished for being gay, which is an absolute travesty.

By definition I am not an aspie.I am autistic...forgive me for not paying attention

if anyone hasnt seen it,woud recommend aquiring a film called ben x, its in a foreign language [am not good on geography,its possibly german],its about a lad with aspergers who is badly bullied at school,he is mildly affected by aspergers which isnt represented much in films-theyre usualy all trying to do stereotypical extreme versions to make it stand out to the uneducated general public.
the lad is obsessed with a world of warcraft rip off game to take the focus away from bullying and it all goes weird from there, he gets revenge on the bullies with the help of his parents- but in a very clever,educating non violent way.

Just thought I'd mention Ben X is a Belgian film, in Dutch (so you were quite close thinking it's German). There's also a Swedish remake titled IRL (haven't seen that version yet).

My personal favorite is still Mary and Max. Watched it again a couple days ago (twice). Not only is it very funny, it's also absolutely ****ing beautiful! From the first shot to the last. It manages to push all my buttons in the right way, which doesn't happen a lot with movies. It lives in the same part of my soul where I keep those Allen Ginsberg poems and, well, a lot of songs. If it were up to me all Oscars given to George Lucas and Steven Spielberg would be rounded up and given to the makers of Mary and Max, because they deserve it.

By definition I am not an aspie.I am autistic...forgive me for not paying attention
nitro,have got nothing to apologise for :) are not at fault,its because had writen-'My bid will have to be "Temple Grandin" and the topic of the thread was purely about aspergers,had made the connection from that,miscommunication-bound to happen on here. :D

gonzerd.
cheers! didnt know dutch was a country,seriously am not good at this sort of thing.:confused:
thanks for the recommendation on IRL-will....aquire it,along with mary and max.

nitro,have got nothing to apologise for :) are not at fault,its because had writen-'My bid will have to be "Temple Grandin" and the topic of the thread was purely about aspergers,had made the connection from that,miscommunication-bound to happen on here. :D

gonzerd.
cheers! didnt know dutch was a country,seriously am not good at this sort of thing.:confused:
thanks for the recommendation on IRL-will....aquire it,along with mary and max.
:) No problem dude. Though I'd clarify a little further:
There's The Netherlands, whose inhabitants are called the Dutch, with Dutch also being the official language.
Then there's Belgium, whose inhabitants are Belgian, and who have Dutch and/or French and/or German as the official languages. Forgive me for not going into the dialects and so; that would take it too far. :)
Cheerio

Of the movies I've watched, Temple Grandin is the only one that sticks out. Yes, I know, technically she wouldn't qualify for an Asperger's diagnosis BUT...it's one of the few films I've seen that isn't blown out of proportion with a "made for Hollywood" vibe to it. How much of that that can be attributed to it being an biopic, though, is debatable.

I've also watched Mozart and the Whale and was sorta neutral about it - my opinion, it did to Asperger's what Rainman did to autistic savants, and Raymond wasn't even based on an autistic person to begin with. Good film, granted, but I was hoping for something better.

Just thought I'd mention Ben X is a Belgian film, in Dutch (so you were quite close thinking it's German). There's also a Swedish remake titled IRL (haven't seen that version yet).

My personal favorite is still Mary and Max. Watched it again a couple days ago (twice). Not only is it very funny, it's also absolutely ****ing beautiful! From the first shot to the last. It manages to push all my buttons in the right way, which doesn't happen a lot with movies. It lives in the same part of my soul where I keep those Allen Ginsberg poems and, well, a lot of songs. If it were up to me all Oscars given to George Lucas and Steven Spielberg would be rounded up and given to the makers of Mary and Max, because they deserve it.

Because of what you wrote, I'm watching "Mary and Max" right now and I absolutely love it! It's making me laugh and cry. When a movie does that I know it's really good!! I like kid movies that have adult humor. :)

My bid will have to be "Temple Grandin"
I am particularly fond of this movie because we share the same thought process.
I will got a returned call from her recently and we will meet in August.
Seconded. Also the best TV movie ever made!

Four more to add to the list:

My Name is Khan
Simple Simon (Swedish Language Film)
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.

Sorry, I should've included this: The Imitation Game will open in theaters November 21, 2014.

I just love that it combines so many things that I care about: computers & technology, Aspergers, the UK, ... and Benedict Cumberbatch (I'm sorry, the man is just amazing). Though I probably should say, the criminal charges against Turing weren't related to Aspergers ... he was criminally punished for being gay, which is an absolute travesty.
Just wondering if you saw it, and what you thought. Care to post a review?

Not sure this has been said but Temple Grandin isn't an aspie. She has classic autism. :)

I honestly didn't like Mozart and the Whale very much, but I think a part of that was my inability to get over the female leads loud and raucous voice ^_^

I've been unsuccessfully looking for a download or stream of a movie called "Jane Wants a Boyfriend." It apparently won quite a few indie film awards...Eliza Dushku is in it....it's about a female aspie and her trials and tribulations in love. Any leads would be much appreciated! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom