• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

what goes on inside your head when you hyperfocus?

Voltaic

Plaidhiker@youtube
when i am hyperfoccused, I feel in an anxious state. something like constant overload kicks starts it. I feel like i just grt how to do things, all ofi the ways to do it make sence, and can be conected into acohesive task.

what goes on in your head? and a personal question of mine: do they get triggered? or can you hyperfoccus into anything at any time? even not that extreme.

Well, i'm not in my head when hyper-focused almost entirely "in" the point of focus. When the genius thoughts or ideas flow one after another i must complete it, if it can be completed before the body gets too exhausted and needs sleep. Pretty much as you described.
What Edison must have felt like when he discovered the light bulb.

As for the personal question, depends. It's usually inspirations from out of the ether.

There is nothing but what I am focused on -- whatever I'm focused on, is all there is and was and ever will be. Everything else is just gone, like it doesn't exist anymore.

For me, there is no particular emotion associated with hyperfocus -- I could feel anything as long as whatever I feel isn't so extreme as to be completely overwhelming (because then I would be overwhelmed with emotion and unable to focus on anything at all).

I could be stuck and struggling with whatever I'm hyperfocused on, or not. Or I could be hyperfocused on something to which challenge/struggle don't apply -- like just taking stuff in and maybe not even processing it beyond a sensory level where my brain is just recording.

I can't hyperfocus on stuff at will, I just sort of slip into it.

Last edited:
It's like the world fades away. I'm not aware of anything except what I am doing. When I come up for air then I'm almost surprised at where I am and how the world around me has changed. Like if I have an idea for a story and am scribbling it down on the train, I'll look up and there will be someone sitting next to me, I'll have no memory of them getting on the train.

Unfortunately this happens quite rarely. I need to be in the right frame of mind, relaxed, not interrupted, happy (or my equivalent of this) and have background. Like if I've been reading up on something for a few days. Then I need to NOT be interrupted, and oh my gosh the world is so needy! People messaging me or asking me things, strangers trying to talk to me.

So I love it when I eventually get in "the zone", and really wish it would happen more often.

I actually get focused a lot. My special interest is machinery. I love machines. I have been lucky in that I have spent my entire working career repairing various types of machinery. When I am working, I lose track of time and what is going on around me. I think in pictures and can visualize the problem. I visualize possible solutions and decide whether they will work or not. To me, the whole process is a blast and I really enjoy it.

Surprising emptiness in the head, just waiting to be filled. Refreshing. One point, one reason and nothing else. Hundreds, thousands of possibilities, solving problems that need to be solved. Seeing the smallest details, parts, changes, patterns. A bit like overload but not exactly - it's not tiring but energising, positive or neutral. Calm but passionate? If I had to describe it graphically, it would be a pattern of almost circular-like shapes with no two being exactly the same. Also, the body becomes an annoyance. Food, waste production, sleep - annoyances. Can you finish before your body stops working?

I feel that I get that most times, very difficult to comment. I like to do some of my research to understand what "Hyper Focus" means and it's effects.

New Threads

Top Bottom