• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you think about self-diagnosis versus doctor approved diagnosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your statement about borderline cases being shoved into an autie category proves that the diagnosis can be skewed towards where the clinician wants it to be as objectivity gets traded off for subjectivity in the client's favor. How many times does it go the other direction? How can self-assessed individuals "dilute" the aspie experience when in another statement you say that all are welcome here?
Now I am going to toss you another curve ball as I give you my status on the autism spectrum that excludes me from the professionally diagnosed aspie experience you cling to. My pros subjectively placed me in the autistic category while using the former DSM versions as a guideline that included AS as a viable option in a very subjectively written and professionally accepted guide written by a group of individuals who voted on what was acceptable here in the USA. How many votes against it were there and why were they ignored and excluded? Unfortunately,the DSM manuals are steered by money and not true mental health care. My borderline case was subjectively decided by a delay in speech patterns at an early age that tipped the scales towards classic autism. I basically could give a rat's ass how or why someone became a member here and love the diversity the site offers.We all have the option to ignore each other and if I have upset you,you have that option ;)

This is all very disheartening to discover, that people who have been discriminated against likely for their entire lives as different, do the same to people within their own ranks. This very likely has something to do with the countries they come from, and the existing hierarchies within those countries.

I began this thread and asked the question with the pre-existing idea that there was no real difference between people on the spectrum, only to discover there is.

As this thread is creating a great deal of anger, and marginalization with little ability to consider beyond a straight line, I request that the Moderators lock this thread and end this discussion. Which has created far too much animosity.

My paranoia is all in my head. :screamcat:

I do feel bad for those who want to have an official diagnosis, but cannot afford an assessment or find a suitable psychiatrist in their area, although my impression is that most of the self-diagnosed don't actually fall into that category.
I do. I'm quite below the poverty level. Insurance is moot since most psychological doohickeys don't take insurance (from what I've heard) and I can't afford to get it on my on nor qualify for assisted insurance to begin with. And I certainly don't have a few thousand to throw out to a 40% chance of misdiagnosis. Especially when past history dictates doctors don't give a rats ass about poor people and just ignore them so they'll leave, even if it's something as simple as a common blood test to confirm or deny a problem. Forget about something more muddled like psychology!

So self-diagnosed I be for at least another 15 years. By then my kid will be a legal adult and maybe I'll have saved enough money to attempt a formal diagnosis. Already had a few run-ins with social services over things that weren't my fault and I'm not risking the morons taking my kid away because I have the "autism plague". And hell, even if it turns out to not be autism (after consistent assessments from a few doctors), the coping methods for autistic people work for me and some of mine work for them, and I'd much rather hang out with them than regular people anyway. Both in person and online I get along better with them. This whole thread may be pretty heated for AC, but still much more tolerable than the out-of-control emotional chaos that would be on a regular forum.

As this thread is creating a great deal of anger, and marginalization with little ability to consider beyond a straight line, I request that the Moderators lock this thread and end this discussion. Which has created far too much animosity.
Meep! Sorry Mia, your post popped up after I posted mine. :oops:

It's not your fault though. This same discussion has popped up a few times in other threads. There will always be a divide between self-diagnosed vs. formally diagnosed, even on here. This same discussion will very likely come up in the future should the elements align for it to happen again. And it's not just limited to medical diagnoses. Education, skills, everything has the individual vs. professional problem. I was homeschooled and I have to listen to crap regularly about not being publicly schooled. I'm a self-taught artist and there are some real Grade-A snobs out there who hate people who don't have a Masters degree like they do. And obviously in situations like these we're right back to individual vs. professional. And anytime you get a bad apple representing the individuals like a child abuser or hypochondriac it just gets all that much harder for the honest individuals. Not that the professionals have a clean track record either with tenured teachers and quacks, but that is ignored more often than when an individual gets it wrong.

Last edited:
That's the question Judge, who would do such a thing? I think you have to consider intent. In Canada there is no provision for disability unless its a severe physical or mental disorder, that prevents you as an adult from functioning. Only severely disabled children and adults have this provision, and its a tax credit, not a lifetime disability pension. No such thing exists here. So, why would someone fake having ASD or autism in general?

I've not met anyone who 'pretends' to have autism, not only would it be a difficult thing to do, it would serve no real purpose in my country.

I'm talking about those who would do so under the most superficial of situations. Not to gain tangible benefits or even sympathy, but in their eyes to simply "look cool". To be socially "different". Yes- it's absurd...and something I've only even heard mentioned right here in this forum. I haven't actually observed it, and I hope I never do. But something tells me that there are likely a few pretentious folks out there who would probably attempt such a thing.

I think that's a good idea. I am going to do so now. The thread will still be readable, but closed to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom