• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"What do you like to do for fun?"

I hate when people ask me this question as well.

Recently, my sister-in-law asked me a similar question. It felt a bit -- for lack of a better word -- invasive. I suppose, ultimately, I don’t want people to really know me. As they would think that I was odd, if they knew my favorite activities/obsessions include:

- Researching autism/aspergers (by frequenting online forums, reading books, watching online lectures/talks,etc.)
- Taking online psychology classes
- Following economic trends and thinking about the next financial crisis
- Studying agile software development
- Walking my dog
- Exercising

Hey Rocket, we've got three-and-a-half things in common, anyway. :)

I hate when people ask me this question as well.

Recently, my sister-in-law asked me a similar question. It felt a bit -- for lack of a better word -- invasive. I suppose, ultimately, I don’t want people to really know me. As they would think that I was odd, if they knew my favorite activities/obsessions include:

- Researching autism/aspergers (by frequenting online forums, reading books, watching online lectures/talks,etc.)
- Taking online psychology classes
- Following economic trends and thinking about the next financial crisis
- Studying agile software development
- Walking my dog
- Exercising

Which one of those activities was supposed to be odd, I wonder.

I'm an only child that was raised as such. I was not allowed to have friends over until I was in high school, so (like Nitro) I have always managed to find a way to entertain myself. The few friends I do have share many of the same interests as me, but we don't always hang together enjoying those interests. For instance, one friend enjoys shooting, so we'll get together every few months to shoot.

I really don't do "social activities." The closest are church activities. For the most part, I do my own thing at home. Much to the chagrin of a lot of people, they can't seem to understand I like it that way. They act as though I should be on the go, hanging with a bunch of others, etc. In fact, years ago a "therapist" insisted I participate in some lame social activities that totally grated against me. He mad it sound as though it was unhealthy if I wanted to be alone doing my own thing. To me, that is my idea of fun.
I am the same way . I was always much more comfortable with one on one situations and never really was up for group activities . I like to walk , read , spend time on message boards and watch hockey and a few shows that I like . All pretty solitary activities . I stay in touch with friends via email and the phone but otherwise have a very isolated existence .

Common question and, my answer always includes my career and, my other obsessions. I like to write, sing and, play music, play keyboard and guitar, game on my computer, cook, ride horses, read historical novels and non fiction stories, travel, try new foods and, I enjoy spending quiet time alone.

If they can't deal with that, our intersts are not very compatible and, we'd be happier simply being aquantances or, casual friends that only see one another if we happen to show up at the same place, at the same time.

Responding to this sort of question I tend to concentrate on enjoying hiking, which is normally easily accepted even if they don't share the enjoyment. I also mention reading but would never go into detail, because 'normal people' don't enjoy rereading the same book 50 times. But yeah, I hate ambiguously phrased questions!

New Threads

Top Bottom