• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What brings you joy?

Life's simple little pleasures that many overlook.

Nature, seeing a wild animal up close such as deer and all types of birds.
Newly bloomed flowers, rainbows, finding an unusual rock, a fossil and just standing
by the water with the fresh wind blowing on me.

Seeing cloud formations, colours of the sunset and at night the moon and looking for certain stars. Especially attracted to Orion.

Hermits 002.JPG

LeanneBDay 005.JPG

001.JPG

Ok,...thanks guys,...that helps a bit. I can relate to much of this.

I had it in my mind that "joy" was this euphoric emotion,...something that I really don't have words for or can relate to because I don't know that I've ever experienced that before. Perhaps I had some misplaced sense of "higher expectation".

Alexithymia?

Last edited:
The things I mentioned above give me a feeling of peace/contentment rather than euphoric joy.

So, here I am at work. Got a few minutes to look at the hospital web pages. A page popped up, "What brings you joy?", and invites employees to share what gives them joy. Then this strange feeling washed over me. I am not sure what that feeling is. Have I ever experienced it? I am,...well,...I am not sure what to think about that. I have had moments in my life where I have laughed, but I don't know if there is anything in my life that gives or gave me joy, per se. I don't know,...maybe I am over thinking it.

Anyone else in this boat?
Smiling young children bring me joy because it is so sincere and they don't expect anything back from us except our smile.

Smiling young children bring me joy because it is so sincere and they don't expect anything back from us except our smile.
Thanks. I should have known better,...working at a children's hospital. Some of the best moments are when you can trigger a smile or a laugh out of a sick baby or child. Sort of makes my day,...and all the BS in your work life sort of goes away for a moment.

I had to do some reading on the topic of alexithymia. You know,...for years I have been describing it,...it has webbed feet,...has a bill,...not a beak,...flies, but can float and swim across the water,...waddles when it walks,...doesn't sing, but goes "quack, quack, quack",...has these waterproof feathers. All the while not recognizing it for what it was,...a duck. I have been describing, for years, alexithymia,...and not calling it out by name,...until today.

For as intelligent, educated, well-read, and self-aware as I seem to have convinced myself I am,...I missed this one.

Online Alexithymia Test: 162/185. Strong alexithymia traits.

Last edited:
Thanks. I should have known better,...working at a children's hospital. Some of the best moments are when you can trigger a smile or a laugh out of a sick baby or child. Sort of makes my day,...and all the BS in your work life sort of goes away for a moment.

I had to do some reading on the topic of alexithymia. You know,...for years I have been describing it,...it has webbed feet,...has a bill,...not a beak,...flies, but can float and swim across the water,...waddles when it walks,...doesn't sing, but goes "quack, quack, quack",...has these waterproof feathers. All the while not recognizing it for what it was,...a duck. I have been describing, for years, alexithymia,...and not calling it out by name,...until today.

For as intelligent, educated, well-read, and self-aware as I seem to have convinced myself I am,...I missed this one.
Alexithymia seems to me to be a subset of Asperger's

Alexithymia, as many other things is described as a deviation from normality. So for those whose normality is not actually normal, that deviation is hard to notice.

Its perfectly ok that you did not noticed that you may have it. So not be so hard with yourself, even if you dont notice when you are being hard with yourself.

I can bet I have that too, in some degree.

I wondered this for a long time before I officially started my telehealth appointments with my therapist; this was actually one of the very first things I told her I was going through.

Then I told her how I loved doing creative stuff all the time, with anything I can get creative with, and how I loved skillfully giving life to something i thought of or drew a picture of or otherwise somehow created... I told her one of those things was original characters with personalities that at least tried to relate to Autism in some way, I told her this was because my true lifelong dream is to send a message to at least some part of the world that Autism is not a made-up excuse for people to misbehave (in my early youth, I had to put up with a LOT of corporal discipline fanatics who just did NOT believe in the existence of any form of any mental syndrome).

So then, when I fully opened myself to her on the next telehealth session, I suddenly found myself talking about how painful my younger days were. I remember gradually, progressively becoming more and more visibly upset, not at my therapist but at hearing myself talk about all these things that brought me so much grief and before long I was simply a twitching, crying mess of mental agony, as if I were a stray otter who had just returned to its home with its familiar, covered in wounds and bruises, not knowing if it is near death or not...

"Okay, hang on, stop. Stop. Tyler... Hang on. Breathe. Breathe with me."

I did. And I kept doing so, remembering to be courteous with what she was doing and stopping and listening, like the etiquette i've been taught over the years... .

The next thing I knew, I was at this beach, a very sunny, cloudless day in particular here... I was just floating on my back out in the middle of the ocean and I was about to inform Pepper of my childhood fear of drifting too far out at the beach, but she was prepared...

"This beach, it is not quite like the ones we know on Earth... This place is a safe place, one where you always come back if you keep floating out..."

I suddenly realized, I wasn't even awake! I wasn't sleeping either... It then dawned on me that my therapist, Pepper, happened to be skilled in hypnotherapy! I knew exactly why she was doing it, too, and I didn't dare to stop her, all that mattered at that moment was that somehow, she knew what I needed most. Without me ever telling her, without me ever even dropping so much as a vague hint, she knew what I needed for my autism.

At one point when she still had me floating on the surface, while I was still under the spell of inactive Delta waves, I heard myself mumble a little, then say something before she continued:

"Nn... Ocean... Underwater.. I want to... See... Underwater..."

"Oh-- Okay, that can be done."

So, I dove down, further and further, swimming steadily further down toward the floor, until a gentle current caught me and steadily carried me where I was going; all i had to do was relax and float with the current....

When I was once again aware what I floated to, Pepper then turned my attention somewhere else.

She started to speak of a large, beautiful, dazzling pearl, as smooth as glass, and foggy with translucency. I was asked to swim closer to it, to reach a hand out to it, and i did, and there was this lightweight glow; it did not hurt my eyes or blind me, but when it cleared away, so did the pearl, and I saw what was in there...

It was my friend, Aloe.

Clonazepam lol... I was never the type for mind altering substance use (not even alcohol) but after being given it a few years back after a massive anxiety crisis I admit it's the only way to feel even remotely happy for me, it makes you care a whole lot less about all the horrible things. I wonder if that's how healthy people feel all the time.

Regardless, I'm not physically dependent on it (dodged a huge bullet there since it's been wholly unavailable for months now) but I do miss it. Even the same old, boring, mundane, day to day life feels more tolerable when not besieged by serious anxiety.

A cup of dark roasted black coffee first thing in the morning.

Listening to a great album.

Sitting in my house when it is spotless.

Taking a long walk on a sunny day.

Having a productive shift at my job.

Smoking a swanky cigar.

Grilling burgers and brats on a summer's evening.

Listening to the band in a jazz bar.

Watching a great movie unfold before me for the first time.

Playing a great video game.

My 12-step service positions.

Going to a good Thai restaurant.

maybe I am over thinking it
Maybe. Probably. It seems like joy is an overwhelming feeling more than a thought.

I think laughter is related to myriad things beyond just joy, so laughter alone may not be an indicator of joy.

The definition of joy indicates a feeling of pleasure or great happiness. In my head, I wonder if these feelings also extend to a feeling of satisfaction which can bring great pleasure, and so I wonder if perhaps there is joy for you in solving problems or in making medical discoveries or connections.

For one who seems to feel a dearth of joy, however, I am insanely curious if there is also an absence of the opposite, thus living in a more neutral state overall? Or is it that there’s substantially more sorrow in such a way that it blocks out the joy all together. Is it a lack of these extreme emotions or simply an imbalance toward the negative. @Neonatal RRT I’m not trying to give you the grand inquisition here, just started some curious thoughts in my head with your post here.

For my part, I find absolute joy in noticing funny strange things out there and snapping a photograph of them.
1666750617844.jpeg

Maybe. Probably. It seems like joy is an overwhelming feeling more than a thought.

I think laughter is related to myriad things beyond just joy, so laughter alone may not be an indicator of joy.

The definition of joy indicates a feeling of pleasure or great happiness. In my head, I wonder if these feelings also extend to a feeling of satisfaction which can bring great pleasure, and so I wonder if perhaps there is joy for you in solving problems or in making medical discoveries or connections.

For one who seems to feel a dearth of joy, however, I am insanely curious if there is also an absence of the opposite, thus living in a more neutral state overall? Or is it that there’s substantially more sorrow in such a way that it blocks out the joy all together. Is it a lack of these extreme emotions or simply an imbalance toward the negative. @Neonatal RRT I’m not trying to give you the grand inquisition here, just started some curious thoughts in my head with your post here.

For my part, I find absolute joy in noticing funny strange things out there and snapping a photograph of them.
View attachment 87528
These are all great questions. However, after doing more research on this topic of alexithymia, I am pretty convinced that there is that mind-body disconnect. It explains the rather "neutral" sense of feeling I have overall, the rather inappropriate lack of response to situations that require laughter, grieving, or anything else. The deaths of my brother and father,...I cried for my brother's wife because she was crying,...mirror neurons,...but I never had a sense of grief for myself,...and THAT really disturbed me. The same thing with my father,...zero response,...zero,...and that, too, bothered me for a while. I observe people around me expressing all sorts of emotions,...it just confuses me because I don't have any sense of that. When people are clearly making emotional decisions with their speech and actions,...again, it just confuses me. Now, I know that autism is one of the "low dopamine" neurological conditions, so I would not expect myself to be on a "high" of positive emotions,...but on the other hand, I've never felt the kind of depression that other autistics have felt that might trigger a suicidal ideology. So, I've discussed this thing called "love",...and keep in mind I am strongly attached to my wife,...but I don't have any emotional sensation,...but I am deeply bonded. It's like my body knows,...but it's not registering in my conscious brain,...which is really quite a thing. So, I am thinking that perhaps,...this mind-body disconnection, alexithymia, is a psychological thing where the subconscious is disconnected from the conscious. This whole thing is quite interesting.

New Threads

Top Bottom