• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What brand of smart thermostat do you prefer?

What brand of smart thermostat do you prefer?

• Ecobee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emerson Sensi

• Wyze

• Amazon

• Greenlite

• Radio Thermostat

• Trane

• Total voters
Oh yeah. A smart thermometer, just what we need to allow others to control our heating units. No thanks. I will take one of these, please.

oldfashioned-wood-burning-stove-picture-id482606276

I have one of these, it's just lovely. :)

peis.jpg

Yep. So many ugly stories of people's smart-thermostats being maliciously hacked. :eek:

To hack that, I guess I'd have to crash through your front door and throw a great deal of water on it. ;)

Low-tech is good! :p

The classic trick to hack a woodstove is to get on the roof & put something over the chimney.

The classic trick to hack a woodstove is to get on the roof & put something over the chimney.

The best hack in that regard remains the users themselves. Those who erroneously burn green wood that builds up creosote that eventually results in the chimney itself catching fire.

Leaving those insurers who choose to accept the risk, versus those who consider wood stoves "prohibitive exposures" contrary to their internal underwriting guidelines.

As far as I know, insurance companies remain positive about smart thermostats. Hacking happens, but statistically I can only surmise they have not resulted in major losses.

Last edited:
I have a smart home system that I built myself. It consist of the following.

A Raspberry PI Computer (this is the master brain.) running the FairyMagic SpellBook logic control engine and some python scripts that I had written myself. It also hosts the web interface for the system as well and is accessed over the internet by connecting directly to the IP address of my internet connection and not through any cloud based service. Everything is open source. BTW: Yes, my smart home system can function just fine without the internet. The only thing the internet is used for is the remote access and that's it.

All my smart plugs and lights switches are SONOFF brand with hacked open source firmware. They use the esp8266 WIFI microcontroller.

The interface for setting the temperature/mode of my mini-split heat/ac unit is another esp8266 WIFI microcontroller with an IR led attached to it. It take the wifi commands and turns then into the IR remote commands that the mini-split unit understands. So in a nutshell, that's my smart thermostat.

Other thing I have automated, like my sprinkler system. Use industrial automation units that I have salvaged from the scrap yard.

My HAS system does not connect to nor does it rely on any cloud services to function. The only thing my HAS system connects to on the internet is the WWV time server via. NTP and that only use to set the system clocks to the correct date and time.

I will never allow a smart speaker in my house. You never know who, or what is listening on the other side Any IoT device that talks to the cloud is never allow in my house or if I have to, I lock it behind a firewall and not allow it to connect to the internet. If it can't function without internet access. I don't use it.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom