• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your social issues?

I have a difficult time making eye contact, and when I'm speaking at length about something that I want to talk about I purposefully look away from whoever I'm talking to. I also don't know how to respond to strangers, compliments, or just general comments aside from the generic responses that are not at all genuine or express any interest just so I don't come off as rude (even though I still tend to come off that way). I also have difficulty empathizing with others, either because I don't understand their viewpoints or because I think they're wrong about something. I isolate myself quite a bit because it's just easier to avoid people than to deal with them and having to act like I know what I'm doing when it comes to socializing. I have very little interest in anything besides what I'm interested in personally, so when other people talk about their interests I tend to tune them out or not really pay much attention to them

A particular issue I'm dealing with at the moment is the constant worry I've done something wrong. In fact, I feel like its impact on a friendship. I ask if I've done something wrong because to me they sounded off on the phone. "no, you haven't done anything wrong" - ok, great. But this happens far too regularly and I've had a rather... irritated friend get stressy at me because I always worry I've done something wrong, to the point they said if you keep it up I'll just tell you not to come over next week... cheers then, thanks for making feel better... I'm told to be honest about how I feel and when I do I get in trouble for it so I can't win. Now I just feel poo and want to crawl under the covers and cry and sleep.

A particular issue I'm dealing with at the moment is the constant worry I've done something wrong. In fact, I feel like its impact on a friendship. I ask if I've done something wrong because to me they sounded off on the phone. "no, you haven't done anything wrong" - ok, great. But this happens far too regularly and I've had a rather... irritated friend get stressy at me because I always worry I've done something wrong, to the point they said if you keep it up I'll just tell you not to come over next week... cheers then, thanks for making feel better... I'm told to be honest about how I feel and when I do I get in trouble for it so I can't win. Now I just feel poo and want to crawl under the covers and cry and sleep.

I'm similar only it's about if I've offended people....

Im wondering for myself if its part of taking things literally ie

I'm told to be honest about how I feel and when I do I get in trouble for it so I can't win

Taking that statement literally. People are pretend, pretending to say the right things, nothing too intense and difficult. Nice and easy.

Aspies can be super intense,looking for something genuine,saying what they mean..
Intensity level - 10,000
NT - only goes up to two. Dead and walking slowly. :)

So maybe another literal mistake. The kind that i like to make :)

Being awkward,having poor eye contact and also being extremely clumsy.

That is exactly how I would start my list. Then I would add talking about subjects that do not interest me or that I know nothing about.

For me, the main, most painful issue is developing "deep" long-term relationships which tend to eventually collapse under the weight of accumulated misunderstandings. Oh, and mid- to large-sized parties (~8+ people). I'm the guy in the corner who's sweating profusely, not mingling and bolting after 20 minutes.

I don't like when multiple people are asking me questions at the same time and demand answer ASAP. I'm like: slow down, one at a time please.

With me it's just awkward all the time. I either avoid communicating with strangers or over do it and appear eccentric. I can't read them and I feel that they think I'm weird. I'm ok with people I know. Some people are instantly in my comfort zone and it's fine. It's strange.

i used to not be able to talk nor look at anyone but i've been able to train myself and i can now have a full on conversation with just about anyone.

problems, eye contact or even direction ,with some people.
Being a poor date .
People overloading me and not sure why

I have social anxiety pretty bad, so anything social is out for me for the most part. I have panic attacks just thinking about socializing.

Group conversations. I can't keep up. I don't have time to listen, think and then respond before someone else gets in before me and I lose my chance to speak. I usually switch off and stop trying to listen after a while, don't say anything and get bored.
Trying to hear, speak and even think over background noise.
Being distracted when speaking and losing my train of thought.
People butting in and talking over the top of me when I haven't finished speaking.
When I speak, and someone else starts speaking at the same time, everyone listens to them and not to me.
Multitasking. I can't see, speak or listen at the same time. That's why I don't pick up on people's facial expression or mood, apart from not maintaining eye contact. I can only do one thing at a time. Actually, nobody can; people usually switch rapidly from one to another, but I can't switch easily like they can and still keep track of or pay attention to everything.
Not able to think of things to say to keep a conversation going.
Not knowing how to respond, especially to emotional issues.
Difficulty recognising faces.

New Threads

Top Bottom