• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your sensory issues?

Loud, abrupt noises. I always startle and then feel embarrassed if there are other people around that I don't know. The smell of pine scented cleaner (bleach doesn't bother me half as much). People chewing or making moist sounds with their mouths, like people in movies kissing each other. High pitched sounds like children shrieking, or sounds like microwave ovens or the timer on our stove. Booming car stereos. My husband tells me that I have highly acute hearing, and it is not something I am proud of.

I can hear the neighbor chatting on his cell phone two houses away or across the street in the park. I I also hate random touch, especially if it is very light. It makes me want to strike out at someone. Repeated annoyances, like a door slamming over and over. I also have trouble dealing with bright lights, fluorescent lights (they make a high, whiny sound that is very annoying) or even regular light bulbs that sometimes make a noise, too. Strong perfumes or synthetic scents make my head ache.

The feel of dishes after they've been through the dishwasher ( it is akin to hearing someone walk on hard crusted snow). The feel of wool against my skin, or tags on clothing, or seams in socks. Lots more, just can't think of any right now.

I do not mind those things: UNLESS I know they are done on purpose, then I want to puke.

I've been told by my doctor I have high sensitivity to sound, but I've always hesitated to call them processing issues. I was wondering if someone could help me clarify If they are? I don't want to complain if they're not.
For example, recently I took up an art class where the main tool is charcoal, and without headphones or earplugs I can barely attend. The sound of charcoal against a page is like scratching my brain with sandpaper. It's just this wrongness I can't explain, like a brown note only I can hear. A lot of noises and textures like that get me, charcoal, dry markers, brooms against stone floors, shoes scraping against stone floors. If it's dry and almost smooth my brain puts it in the uncanny valley of sensations and I can't deal with it. Scratchy clothing as well, including jeans, which makes clothes shopping interesting.
Also, loud noises. I've never been able to enjoy concerts unless I'm wearing those heavy silicone earplugs. If I'm not, I spend several hours standing in place covering my ears and it feels like I can barely move.

Loud noises... Banging, crashing, screaming, lots of talking all at once, motorbikes, lorries...

Flashing/strobing lights...

Is sensitivity to temperature considered a sensory issue? I have huge problems with heat, it actually makes me feel ill and confused.

Loud noises... Banging, crashing, screaming, lots of talking all at once, motorbikes, lorries...

Flashing/strobing lights...

Is sensitivity to temperature considered a sensory issue? I have huge problems with heat, it actually makes me feel ill and confused.

Absolutely. This time of year it drives me nuts given our normal lows in the morning and highs in the afternoon. My metabolism just can't seem to adjust.

Makes it impossible at time to pick suitable clothing to wear for a prolonged period of time if I'm going indoors and outdoors. It's why I recently bought another heavy jacket...hopefully this time that breathes when I'm indoors yet keeps me warm in the cold outdoors.

The worst is in winter with snow....then going into a store where the heat is on full-blast. I go from being cold to sweltering in minutes. Yeah...sensitivity to temperature.

Absolutely. This time of year it drives me nuts given our normal lows in the morning and highs in the afternoon. My metabolism just can't seem to adjust.

Summer is unbearable for me. Where I live, its lucky to reach 25c in the height of summer... for most that is bliss and they love it, for me its complete torture... If it gets above 15/16c I start to struggle.

I can't think when its hot, the sun hurts my skin and my eyes. I don't go outside unless its absolutely necessary and I keep my curtains drawn. I feel physically ill, and my mood changes instantly when I get overheated.

Summer is unbearable for me. Where I live, its lucky to reach 25c in the height of summer... for most that is bliss and they love it, for me its complete torture... If it gets above 15/16c I start to struggle.

I can't think when its hot, the sun hurts my skin and my eyes. I don't go outside unless its absolutely necessary and I keep my curtains drawn. I feel physically ill, and my mood changes instantly when I get overheated.

Tell me about it. After all, I live in the desert. ;)

But our summers are much more mild compared to Southern Nevada and Las Vegas. It cools down when the son goes down, but it's not as dramatic as right now. But I also lived in a desert micro climate only about 30 miles from San Francisco, which had even higher summer temperatures than the high desert.

I suppose my tolerance for extreme temperatures is ok, but not in terms of going from one to the other over twelve hours time....if that makes any sense.

But yes, it's a definable sensory issue.

Makes it impossible at time to pick suitable clothing to wear for a prolonged period of time if I'm going indoors and outdoors. It's why I recently bought another heavy jacket...hopefully this time that breathes when I'm indoors yet keeps me warm in the cold outdoors.

The worst is in winter with snow....then going into a store where the heat is on full-blast. I go from being cold to sweltering in minutes. Yeah...sensitivity to temperature.

I have a huge problem with that. Even now, in November when its cold out, I often don't wear a coat because I sweat buckets. Its actually really embarrassing, my hair ends up dripping.

I can sit in a room where the temp doesn't change and go from comfortable to dying of heat in minutes and need to change clothes so I'm not so hot.

I even get it with my feet, where they are so hot I need to put cold wet flannels on them to be comfortable again.

I have a huge problem with that. Even now, in November when its cold out, I often don't wear a coat because I sweat buckets. Its actually really embarrassing, my hair ends up dripping.

I can sit in a room where the temp doesn't change and go from comfortable to dying of heat in minutes and need to change clothes so I'm not so hot.

I even get it with my feet, where they are so hot I need to put cold wet flannels on them to be comfortable again.

Now you're getting a feel for how valuable this forum can be in terms of such feedback. Because people like me and others know EXACTLY what you are saying- and feeling.

Yes, it's not only uncomfortable, but even worse in terms of embarrassment when compounded by stress. It's what makes certain months like this more difficult to deal with when temperatures can fluctuate much more. Makes job interviews that much more arduous.

And then of course you can further factor in employers who either keep the office temperature too high or too low at the wrong times. Yeah...it's a challenge along with so many other sensitivities which other people may not relate to.

I think I've always been sensitive to loud sounds, and I prefer quiet environments. I think I'm also sensitive towards hot temperatures too, which is one reason why I prefer Winter over Summer. I remember one day during July the temperature was over 32 degrees Celcius and I hated it D=

• Loud music, which sucks because I love music and when I want to see a favorite band in concert, the experience is not nearly as fun as I imagined.
  • Unexpected touch. A boy in high school once asked if I was abused as a kid because I would jump and shriek if I got tapped on the shoulder from behind.
  • The sun. The only benefit of the sun is its warmth, so I guess I can tolerate it. When I get the least bit stressed, it turns into an agonizer and I get a headache. I prefer cloudy and gloomy days because it's easier on the eyes.
  • Velvet and velour are the worst textures I can imagine. Oh, and I don't like touching paper.
  • Birthday parties at indoor bounce house playgrounds with seven 8 year old boys.

• Loud music, which sucks because I love music and when I want to see a favorite band in concert, the experience is not nearly as fun as I imagined.
  • Unexpected touch. A boy in high school once asked if I was abused as a kid because I would jump and shriek if I got tapped on the shoulder from behind.
  • The sun. The only benefit of the sun is its warmth, so I guess I can tolerate it. When I get the least bit stressed, it turns into an agonizer and I get a headache. I prefer cloudy and gloomy days because it's easier on the eyes.
  • Velvet and velour are the worst textures I can imagine. Oh, and I don't like touching paper.
  • Birthday parties at indoor bounce house playgrounds with seven 8 year old boys.

I don't do the birthday parties - Daddy is the birthday party attendee with my kids lol.

New Threads

Top Bottom