• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your experiences with/thoughts on wearing a sunflower lanyard

In which situation are you wearing a sunflower lanyard or simelar

• A what? (I don't know what it is)

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Never, but I would if I had one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never, I don't like to wear it

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Some times, in specific situations

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • All, or most of the time

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It's not applicable where I live

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My home airport also has a sunflower sticker that one can have put on their boarding pass for those who wish to be more discrete.

images

At airports, I've seen others wear a sunflower lanyard several times in Canada, but only once in the U.S.

Outside of airports, the UK is the only place I've seen people wear a sunflower lanyard, and in the cases I've seen, it was worn in lieu of a work or school lanyard.

The UK is the only place I've worn one outside of an airport.
That sticker on the boarding pass is a nice way of handling it in the airport, the airport is really a stressful place, especially the security lines.

I'm not seeing many here that are wearing the lanyard, but I have seen others wear it both in the streets and in the supermarkets. Last time I went to the hypermarket, they had a basket at the information desk with a sign that you could take one if you needed it, so they are trying to push the awareness if it.

The door to our local Ikea has a sunflower, and states that they support it - In the summer there are some of our biggest music festivals that openly supports it, not the one I go to unfortunately, I have written them and asked if it was something they would consider thou :)

When we take the kids to big events we tend to put sunflower lanyards on as staff at stadiums, etc. seem to generally have awareness. There's not a whole lot we would expect them to do differently TBH, but it's helpful in easily accessing the sensory-chillout rooms, etc that are often present.

My home airport also has a sunflower sticker that one can have put on their boarding pass for those who wish to be more discrete.

images

At airports, I've seen others wear a sunflower lanyard several times in Canada, but only once in the U.S.

Outside of airports, the UK is the only place I've seen people wear a sunflower lanyard, and in the cases I've seen,it was worn in lieu of a work or school lanyard.
This is why I searched for>

I carry my earplugs on the lanyard, then I always know where they are, and kind of, if I am in a place where I need earplugs, I should consider wearing the lanyard too... I don't wear the one with the card, but I keep it in my bag which I always carry. The back of the card has an emergency phone number, a picture of me and some info, like that I'm autistic, that I might need some extra time to process information, and what I'm sensitive to.
lanyard.jpg

I wear one and for me it's hit or miss sometimes if it is recognized. Particularly when traveling to a different country. Airports are usually pretty good for it in my personal experience. I've had staff there be patient with me or treat me well when I'm having a panic attack.

I hope one day it becomes a well known thing worldwide. It's such a useful thing.

I got one recently but I realized that I never use it, and I actually asked if I could give it back. Then I asked if that was a weird question, because I could see that this was confusing. Lately I have been thinking about the idea of making a "Condescending Asshole"- lanyard for condescending assholes. I would find that very appropriate if they wore those. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom