• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your all time favourite comic strips

zurb

Eschewer of Obfuscation
Some comics I have enjoyed for a season like Sherman's Lagoon and Baby Blues.
Some I enjoyed because of my context like Footrot Flats, Dilbert, ok cancel, xkcd.
Some have their brilliant inspired moments, but also have (in my opinion) a low hit to miss ratio like the The Wizard of Id.
Some are great to start with, but maybe run low on inspiration and get repetitive like BC.
But some seem to last the test of time, and seem to maintain a high hit to miss ratio. These are the ones I keep coming back to.
For me, my two favourites are probably:
Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Farside by Gary Larson

What are your favourites?
Are there any you think are especially relevant to Aspergers or Autism?
PS - Feel free to disagree with my assessments above. They are just my opinion.

Last edited:
Calvin and Hobbes has been with me since I was a wee lad, and I've only grown to appreciate it more as I've grown older. My dad gave me The Complete Calvin and Hobbes boxed set for Christmas a couple of years ago, and reading through it, it's like I'm reading it all for the first time. Watterson was truly a first-rate artist, philosopher, and trailblazer.

I find, too, that I have been appreciating Peanuts more and more. There's so much to it, so much about life in general that is relatable to me...an outcast who is on the outside looking in, all sorts of different characters, it really sums up the human experience even if often in a very cynical light.

Of course, I can't help but give some love to some of the "new generation" of comics, specifically Web Comics, especially the most nerdy ones out there, xkcd and Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal. I confess I find a guilty pleasure in Questionable Content as well, soap-opera-ish as it may be, lol.

There are other comics I would love to explore more...Pearls Before Swine in fact recently had a bit of a bombshell in that the author got Bill Watterson himself to do a few strips for it! I've not read much of the comic itself but it seems like something I would really enjoy. Sadly, it seems newspaper comics are going the way of The Onion and The Christian Science Monitor...sigh...

Gary Larson's "The Far Side".
I love this one as well. Have you ever had the opportunity to see the ones the newspapers rejected because they were considered too inappropriate? I wish I could remember where I saw them, but they are awesome. :)

I love this one as well. Have you ever had the opportunity to see the ones the newspapers rejected because they were considered too inappropriate? I wish I could remember where I saw them, but they are awesome. :)

Can't say I have. But I loved the comics, as well as the greeting cards.

I never cared much for comics but, when I was around 13-15 years old I was subscribed to a... how should I call it... culture magazine. I remember it being pretty interesting, it had articles about music, art, it also had some short stories. There was a comic strip... I think it was about a woman... I think she might have been lost at sea. She ended up in some island with Amazon women... there were also centaurs. :) It was black and white... that's all I remember :)

Calvin and Hobbes and Peanuts. Calvin and Hobbes always makes me laugh when I'm feeling down. Peanuts is fun to read, but I have always liked it because it reminds me that I'm not alone.

This one. I've found it 10 years ago.

routemaster.gif

xkcd is my all-time favorite. Kickstand Comics and Cyanide and Happiness deserve to be mentioned honorably. Gone but not forgotten is Calvin and Hobbes.

Newspaper: Peanuts, B.C., Dilbert, Pearls Before Swine, Safe Havens, Sally Forth, Shoe, Wizard of Id, Gil Thorp, and The Lockhorns.

Web: Questionable Content, Something Positive, xkcd, Penny Arcade, Medium Large, Full Frontal Nerdity, and the late Queen of Wands and When I Grow Up.

30 years ago I used to buy the Beano and Dandy comics every week, Dennis the Menace was hilarious.

And I still like stuff like Batman.

The adventures of Tintin was some pretty good comics.
My favourite of that series is/are the two-part Inca adventure (The Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun. Although I must confess I also have a soft spot for Flight 714 - real edge-of-the-seat stuff.
I also loved Asterix and Obelix. :D
For this it's a toss-up between Asterix and the Big Fight and Asterix in Switzerland. I suspect the latter may be harder to grasp by people from outside Europe. Is that true for you in New Zealand?

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned any Viz characters yet. To this end I nominate The Modern Parents - yes, even though the strip takes the piss out of my ethical/environmental beliefs. ;)

For this it's a toss-up between Asterix and the Big Fight and Asterix in Switzerland. I suspect the latter may be harder to grasp by people from outside Europe. Is that true for you in New Zealand?

I haven't read Asterix in Switzerland, so I do not know. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom