• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are some things that you prefer done the "wrong" way instead of the "correct" way?

Anything but a spoon seems very inefficient and illogical to me.

Although, a spork would work.
You're apparently 'supposed' to eat macaroni and cheese with a fork.

I don't get it and I think I'm being gaslit here (not really but like I'd never heard of anyone using a fork for mac and cheese before and apparently that's the way most people do it).

I never, ever allow ketchup on my hamburger. Yet when ordering fries, I love them with ketchup.

Yes! I do the same thing. I like to save the best for last.

The main one I can think of is that I open the banana from the stubby end. I heard people ask me later why I open bananas like monkeys, but I honestly had no idea they use the same method. To me it's just easier, and the banana doesn't get unneccessarily squished.
Just tried banana thing and works great. Thank you!

A substantial minority of people agree with my diet, all vegan and mostly organic.
I like my car to weigh under a ton, and do my own work to avoid getting a new one. I can camp in it without doing anything outside. I used to pedal my kayak. When I polish brass, I take out far more blemishes than usual. I got my education at the library, and won awards instead of taking exams. I get my appliances and furniture for free and a bit of work. I have never owned a TV.

I eat muffins with a spoon.
It's gross to pick all the crumbs out from the paper thing with my fingernails.

I like burgers with no cheese and no bacon, but any other toppings are fine.

Pop Tarts never toasted - just cold.
Pizza cold, the next day.

Almost all food is better cold.
When it's hot from being cooked I can't taste it.
Hot pasta in particular just tastes like steam.

I only buy ice cream if it's full price.
Otherwise, I'll buy too much of it.

I very rarely expect something to be sufficient when I purchase it. For example, shoes, clothing, a backpack… It’s never quite right, so I am very comfortable making it just right. Cutting off straps, changing color, adding alterations here and there. Nothing comes complete, but I enjoy customizing things.

I very rarely expect something to be sufficient when I purchase it. For example, shoes, clothing, a backpack… It’s never quite right, so I am very comfortable making it just right. Cutting off straps, changing color, adding alterations here and there. Nothing comes complete, but I enjoy customizing things.
I love this. I'm afraid to alter things like that, I don't know why, I bought it right? But one thing I did do, which I'm very happy with.
I took a neck pillow for an old desk chair, I never used it, it is the kind that wraps around the top of the chair with straps. So I cut off the straps and use it for an arm rest when I use my computer. Less carpal tunnel issues, and keeps my elbow off the desk so it won't get sore.

I store items based on ergonomics of my own lifestyle rather than a "square block for the square hole" logic. I keep certain dishes and cereal boxes in a clothes dresser in my room. There is no cross contamination between some jeans and a bowl, but it does look odd. I do this to separate a handful of my inexplicably "favorite" items from the ones in the kitchen available to all, ensuring I can always use them.

I eat meals at irregular times and often at my desk in my room as well. I don't know how uncommon this is but it does go against what I grew up with which was a standardized "these items belong to breakfast which is in the morning, these for lunch at noon and then a full warm meal in the evening" type routine. I'll have what would be considered breakfast or lunch at any given point during the day if I'm hungry and also feel like it. The only order considered is trying not to repeat meals of the same type within 12 hours for nutrition reasons.

French fries dipped in mayonnaise or tartar sauce. :)

Don't ruin a perfectly good vegetable by cooking it. I'm more of a "go out in the garden and graze" kind of person. :)

I eat meals at irregular times and often at my desk in my room as well.
The only order considered is trying not to repeat meals of the same type within 12 hours for nutrition reasons.
I do these things as well. And I don't have a dining table. My wife and I eat on folding tray tables on the couch (if we want to watch tv) or at our desks.

French fries dipped in mayonnaise or tartar sauce. :)

Don't ruin a perfectly good vegetable by cooking it. I'm more of a "go out in the garden and graze" kind of person. :)
this 100% except I do need carrots at least blanched. or shredded. I do not like the texture of raw carrots.

I put ketchup in my mac and cheese. this repulses a majority of people apparently but it SLAPS I'm TELLING YOU!!
I put ketchup in scrambled eggs, omelets, and on fried chicken and apparently this grosses people out too, but I think it's really good!

I do these things as well. And I don't have a dining table. My wife and I eat on folding tray tables on the couch (if we want to watch tv) or at our desks.
I also eat meals at irregular times and don't use my dining room table. My dining room is more of an art studio and the table is usually used for drawing or making crafts.

My girlfriend and I usually eat meals on the bed, at the kitchen counter, or on the living room couch. Usually while watching Youtube videos.

Same! I thought I was the only person who did this lol

I often hem pants myself because I'm 4'11" and pants are usually made for women who are about 5'4"

Sorry for quoting so many messages here by the way, I could just relate to so many things in this thread!!

Sorry for quoting so many messages here by the way, I could just relate to so many things in this thread!!
yeah me too. I don't think of many things until someone else mentions it :) I'm just used to being different, though. I'm realizing that I've stuffed and masked in an awful lot of ways, but I never actually really cared what people thought about my quirks.

New Threads

Top Bottom