• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weird Stims?

Yeah when I was younger I used to raise my head and make throat noices, little squeekes. I grew out of it though. Has anybody else ever grown out of a stimm?

Combing my fingers through my hair a particular way, kinda pulling it. I don't do it as often since I cut my hair short, though. I still play with it.

I also bounce my leg, but I know other people who do it that I don't think are autistic, so I dunno on that one.

Skin, hair, and nail picking. Not being able to get comfortable or sit still, always sliding down in my chair then pulling myself back up. Constantly adjusting clothes or hair, or itching. Taking my glasses off and putting them back on, can't get them comfortable either.

Yep. Mine are:

- Making cat-like noises (hissing, spitting noises, cat fighting noises, purring noises if I'm happy or calm). The noises are usually accompanied by a swipe of my hand or two (if I'm annoyed, frustrated, nervous or angry) I know it sounds really weird, but its just what i do. :confused:

- Jiggling my leg when I'm nervous or anxious

- Tapping my fingers one after the other quickly

- Chewing strips of skin beside fingernails (gross, i know, but I can't stop doing it!)

- Pulling skin off top lip when nervous

And I Googled the repeating things "e" word and I think the word is "echolalia"?
Lol I do the same exact things.

I also "knead" my hair.
I scrunch my face up and make weird faces a lot. Not really sure if this is a stim, but other people certainly do notice it, and they're forever trying to decipher them, when they don't mean anything at all.
Um. I don't walk normally. I prance and stomp and tip toe.
I feel up my teeth a lot with my tongue, and can never seem to find a comfortable resting position with it.
Popping my jaw back and forth
Squealing

I wiggle my foot and leg side to side at night. It relaxes me.

My nephew is autistic, and he and I both miaow sometimes when we’re nervous or embarassed or uncomfortable in some way. Weird.

Not sure if they're any stranger than anything anyone else does, but I have quite a few that may seem unusual:

- Pressing my tongue into the roof of my mouth (hard to explain)
- Popping my ears on purpose. Do this all the time.
- Rubbing my eyes, I'm sure I will go blind from this someday, but I mean with my eye open.
- Blowing air into my eyes
- Pressing the top of my thumbnail and pushing the skin back. The nail has deep grooves from years of dedication to this.
- Pressing the area behind my ear (hard to explain)

I do all of these seemingly without much control. I've attempted to stop these and other stims which are more common, but I really can't understand why I can't. Very much a compulsion that can get extremely stressful unless indulged in.

Skin, hair, and nail picking. Not being able to get comfortable or sit still, always sliding down in my chair then pulling myself back up. Constantly adjusting clothes or hair, or itching. Taking my glasses off and putting them back on, can't get them comfortable either.

Nail picking is my number one, down to picking at my skin, and swaying side to side when I have to stand still.

Always picked scabs as a kid compulsively. Definitely shake or wiggle my feet always. Some stims are just pure habit. Lately doing raspberry noises. Weird one, l pull my eyelashes out. Usually there is enough there folks, but its compulsive. Since l went back into the workforce, gum chewing to dissipate stress. l turn over the top part of my underwear like in a roll. Pushing my tongue on my bottom teeth. l like to repeatly snap my fingers. l always thought it was nervous energy but l realise it's a little more. Oops just reread @tlc post, l can't sit always still in a seat if l am restless.

Last edited:
I pace. My wife has discovered this is really useful in our small apartment. As I pass her, she hands me dishes to carry to the kitchen.

New Threads

Top Bottom