• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weird Stims?

AuBurney Tuckerson

~GigglesTheAutisticHyena~
Does anyone else have any weird stims that don't go in the typical autistic stims such as rocking, chewing, and hand flapping? I have a few:

I. Rubbing my head
II. Shaking my foot
III. Drumming my hands (both at the same time) on any flat surface I'm sitting on.
IV. Making weird noises at times
V. Repeating stuff (not sure if that counts as a stims, but it is called something that starts with an 'e' when you repeat things

Yep. Mine are:

- Making cat-like noises (hissing, spitting noises, cat fighting noises, purring noises if I'm happy or calm). The noises are usually accompanied by a swipe of my hand or two (if I'm annoyed, frustrated, nervous or angry) I know it sounds really weird, but its just what i do. :confused:

- Jiggling my leg when I'm nervous or anxious

- Tapping my fingers one after the other quickly

- Chewing strips of skin beside fingernails (gross, i know, but I can't stop doing it!)

- Pulling skin off top lip when nervous

And I Googled the repeating things "e" word and I think the word is "echolalia"?

Yep. Mine are:

- Making cat-like noises (hissing, spitting noises, cat fighting noises, purring noises if I'm happy or calm). The noises are usually accompanied by a swipe of my hand or two (if I'm annoyed, frustrated, nervous or angry) I know it sounds really weird, but its just what i do. :confused:

- Jiggling my leg when I'm nervous or anxious

- Tapping my fingers one after the other quickly

- Chewing strips of skin beside fingernails (gross, i know, but I can't stop doing it!)

- Pulling skin off top lip when nervous

And I Googled the repeating things "e" word and I think the word is "echolalia"?

It's not weird. I make hyena noises and sometimes act like one in secret. I also peel annoying dead skin off my lips. The strips of skin I chew from the side of my fingernails are called hangnails, at least by my family. Sometimes, I use my teeth to clip my nails, and one time, my family caught me doing it with my toe nail (it's nasty, yes, but I always wash my feet in the shower, and my feet don't smell because I don't wear shoes much unless I'm going somewhere) and sort of shamed me for it... I also jiggle my head as well. I forgot to include these in my list of stims.

I chew my lips and peel skin off with my teeth, I kind of suck my lips in and bare down, grind and clench my teeth, pull and play with my hair, ring my hands, crack my knuckles, tear up paper, push on my ears, rub something very close to my ears like sheets so it sounds loud and blocks everything out, pick at my skin, play with my feet,

1. Close my eyes tightly for a second
2. Say "quack!"
3. Blow air up, towards my eyes
4. Scratch myself, not like an itching way, like a mild self-harm but that's not the point
5. Tap each section of each finger in order, you know the three sections your finger is separated into? Joints, maybe?

I used to bite my nails a lot then replaced that with biting my fingers then replaced that with biting my cheek just like everyone else said.

I do this, too, it has earned me embarassing nicknames.

I do this all the time - both lips.

I also nibble at the inside of my cheek.
So funny- I do the cheek thing, too. But what's funny is when I read this I remembered that last night I dreamed I was chewing my cheek to the point there was a chunk of it ready to fall off but I couldn't get it to. LOL

Hmm... at first I thought these were mostly run of the mill stims, stuff even NTs do with nervous energy. But the frequency of animal mimicry is interesting. Early on I used to have an impulse to act like like Chimpanzee in department type stores. Walking funny and making low chimp noises rummaging thru the merchandise. My wife however, put a stop to that. But I thought it was me just being a goofball because I didn't do it alone. Now I'm not so sure.

So funny- I do the cheek thing, too. But what's funny is when I read this I remembered that last night I dreamed I was chewing my cheek to the point there was a chunk of it ready to fall off but I couldn't get it to. LOL

I accidentally bit a chunk off during a semi-meltdown.

X Pulling skin of my lip, by teeth or fingers until it bleeds
X scratching myself lightly with fingernails
X blow air upwards to my upper face
X teeth grinding, weird clenching thing and I jut my jaw out doing it.
X tapping fingers in a particular pattern. It is always the same pattern.
X I do make weird noises that are involuntary like growls.
X I do this rubbing thing with my nose — it’s not even to do anything to my nose, it’s like I have to rub it a few times. I don’t know why I do this one.

I used to screech like a pterodactyl all the time as a kid! I'm not sure I even can anymore.. quack quack! :D

Oh boy. I have basically all of those save for the head rubbing. I also have a tendency to disconnect from reality a bit and drown in my own thoughts, but I think that’s something different.

I also make these weird growling sounds to communicate with people who I’m clo
Oh boy. I have basically all of those save for the head rubbing. I also have a tendency to disconnect from reality a bit and drown in my own thoughts, but I think that’s something different.
i disconnect from reality like that too

I actually have quite a few. My mouse pad is kind of velvety and when I'm on the computer I'm constantly rubbing it. Anything soft, same thing. I do bounce my foot over the edge of the bed when I go to bed - I didn't realize this until one night sleeping with my sister and she threatened to hang me upside down out the window if I didn't stop. My daughter in law has pointed out the I'm always tapping all my right hand fingertips against the left hand fingertips. I do tap my fingers on tabletops and try to watch that because it gets on peoples nerves. At restaurants to keep myself from doing that I'm playing with straw paper. Guess all those in California can't do that anymore. lol

New Threads

Top Bottom