• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weird Fears

What are some of you weird/ unusual fears
Anatidaephobia
full

full
Luposlipaphobia

I'm also afraid of things touching or getting stuck in my throat. Vomiting was always a huge fear for me. I'm a little better about it now.

I am afraid of relationships. Period. This is perhaps going to sound vain, but as a kid I had classic cherubic cheeks and blonde hair and just sort of looked angelic. I was afraid of anyone who would stare at me especially men, and even family members. It made me very uncomfortable. As a 39 year old now, I am still uncomfortable with stares or come ons from anyone male or female. Because I am classically beautiful, I try to hide it by being 40 lbs. or more overweight, not wearing any makeup and not fixing my hair nicely or wearing any feminine clothes. I look gay or whatever. Tying into that, I've only had one "romantic" relationship in my whole life - happened to be male - and it lasted 6 months. I was manic and then deeply depressed during it. I fear people looking at me in "that" way. As an object. I don't know what to do or how to be. I don't know how to flirt. I don't want to flirt. I'm lonely but I don't want or know how to be in a relationship. I question my sexuality and wonder if I'm asexual.

I have recurring nightmares about final exams, or even just math homework. I did ok in school but I HATED it. I don't remember hardly anything even though I hold a bachelor's degree in religious studies.

Once while trying to work a 9-5 job with other secretaries, one of them called me Napolean Dynamite as a "loving" joke. It felt like bullying. I like the movie but I was so horribly offended because I know it means I am different. The star of the movie and me hold our mouth open in a similar way. It looks slightly dumb or something. Now I have a job with other Aspies sort of and I am freer to be myself.

I just realized that I did not mention arachnophobia in my original post in this thread.

I guess it's not a "weird" fear, I think people have even mentioned on here before that there is an evolutionary reason that people are afraid of spiders, but I am TERRIFIED of spiders.

My worst fear with spiders is that one will get on me while I'm in the shower. There was actually a huge spider in my shower once, and I was screaming and having a panic attack but I managed to squish it with a shampoo bottle.

When I lived in my old house, I was watching TV once and a big hairy spider was just dangling there in my face on a string, I don't think I have ever run out of a room so fast in my life. But the spider went behind one of my plants and I had no idea where it went, I lived in fear of it crawling on me while I was sleeping until I found it dead behind my air fryer a few days later.

I know it's really silly and embarrassing to be afraid of spiders to the level that I am, but they are terrifying.

My fear of taxidermy basically came out at full force my sophomore year of high school and it’s all because of the stupid senior prank that year’s seniors pulled. My biology teacher has stuffed animals in display cases and while I felt uneasy being in the same room as them, I was able to ignore them and avoid looking at them for the most part. Well the prank was to move the animals around in places where they didn’t belong and I tried to ignore it and I was perfectly fine until I looked up and saw the turtle was attached to the ceiling directly above my seat and staring right at me. That is when I started to scream pretty badly and had an anxiety attack to the point that I was hyperventilating. I had to be taken out of the classroom and I refused to go back in for the next few days. It was absolutely horrible seeing that thing directly above me with its eyes looking at me. The worst part is sometimes I still see that horrible sight whenever I close my eyes. I haven’t been the same around taxidermy since and I freak out internally if I happen to see any. I couldn’t even finish a tour of a nature museum because there was a large wing with taxidermy in the entire section.

I know it's really silly and embarrassing to be afraid of spiders to the level that I am, but they are terrifying.
that reminds me…. There was an episode of the original Powerpuff Girls (1998) called PowerNoia where the Girls are forced to confront their worst fears.. Buttercup has severe arachnophobia. It’s not silly or embarrassing at all. I’m still scared of the dark at 19 and I always sleep with a nightlight on.

I went to the wildlife park with my mother yesterday and I got a little scared and nervous of the llamas at their petting zoo. I'm always afraid I'm going to unintentionally provoke them and they'll spit in my face! And it's not normal spit either, it's really chewed up grass and stomach acid and I heard it stinks really bad. Their teeth scare me, too.:sweatsmile:

I didn't mention some more common things in this because that's not what this thread is about so no stuffing animals or spiders but some I have thought of since the first post are:

Being annoying to people
Having a misunderstanding that I don't get the chance to explain
Electronics messing up
Yelling and especially yelling arguments

I’m afraid of cleaning (as in housekeeping). It’s a serious problem and everyone thinks that I won’t clean because I’m “lazy” but that is so far from the truth. Ever since I escaped from my abuser, the idea of cleaning fills me with dread and anxiety thanks to abuse involving cleaning an entire townhouse and then being screamed at for it “not being right” because I missed one tiny spot and being forced todo it all over again from the very start after being hit. I know that I need to clean but having a perfectly clean room makes me fearful that my abuser will burst through the door and scream at me that it is still a “mess.” It is a truly horrible memory of being abused and hardly anyone understands that my refusal to clean is deeply psychological and I’m constantly struggling to overcome it by myself. I mean there are no support groups for this type of problem. And I can’t go to a therapist because my dad doesn’t believe in psychology and thinks that the therapist is making me believe I have imaginary problems. He says that he’d let me see one if I really need it but then refuses to let me go because he claims that there is no problem. And my aunt claims that she has a minor in psychology but then tells me to just ignore all of the negative thoughts and emotions and bad memories and just smile and pretend to e happy which is even worse for me because that advice has caused me to eventually snap and have some sort of mental meltdown because I wasn’t addressing the real issues that were bothering me.

When I was a young kid, mannequins REALLY scared me. They were the main characters in my nightmares.

I have many.
I have general fears when it seems reasonable because autistics struggle with foresight
I fear easily and I get insecure easily
Anyway other things I fear:
Clowns a bit steming back to my clown pillowcase as a child that gave me my nightmare dreams
Heights
Vomiting
Muppets
Men who wear goggle glasses that make their eyes huge
Ghosts
It was always the dark when I was young
Germs a bit, am a lot better though
Ocd thoughts and I thought so long I was a pedophile because of them, I can never think them
Mental hospitals, hospitals and doctors in general
Police
Jealous women
Idk what else I may have more but I forgot.

I'm also afraid of things touching or getting stuck in my throat. Vomiting was always a huge fear for me. I'm a little better about it now.

I am afraid of relationships. Period. This is perhaps going to sound vain, but as a kid I had classic cherubic cheeks and blonde hair and just sort of looked angelic. I was afraid of anyone who would stare at me especially men, and even family members. It made me very uncomfortable. As a 39 year old now, I am still uncomfortable with stares or come ons from anyone male or female. Because I am classically beautiful, I try to hide it by being 40 lbs. or more overweight, not wearing any makeup and not fixing my hair nicely or wearing any feminine clothes. I look gay or whatever. Tying into that, I've only had one "romantic" relationship in my whole life - happened to be male - and it lasted 6 months. I was manic and then deeply depressed during it. I fear people looking at me in "that" way. As an object. I don't know what to do or how to be. I don't know how to flirt. I don't want to flirt. I'm lonely but I don't want or know how to be in a relationship. I question my sexuality and wonder if I'm asexual.

I have recurring nightmares about final exams, or even just math homework. I did ok in school but I HATED it. I don't remember hardly anything even though I hold a bachelor's degree in religious studies.

Once while trying to work a 9-5 job with other secretaries, one of them called me Napolean Dynamite as a "loving" joke. It felt like bullying. I like the movie but I was so horribly offended because I know it means I am different. The star of the movie and me hold our mouth open in a similar way. It looks slightly dumb or something. Now I have a job with other Aspies sort of and I am freer to be myself.
Wow you are so much like me.
I am afraid of things at the back of my throat too. Like wooden sticks at doctors and pills you have to swallow that are big
I am also afraid of having focus centered around my looks and am beautiful as well as well as relationships.
I am not always comfortable with men staring and do not know how to flirt either
Except during my trauma I have wanted the validation and attention of a man to build my confidence and know I was attractive because no one ever made me feel that way.
However I am very sensitive around my appearance and do not like a lot of fake attention on it or everyone staring. I just like people to geniunely say I am beautiful sometimes.
I like dressing up but not like a show pony. I just like to feel regular
And I am fearful of relationships and my trauma makes it worse and also of relationships not meeting my needs or being as exciting and stimulating as I would hope. And the all encompassing of it a bit too but I would want someone there for me

New Threads

Top Bottom