• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weird Fears

KevinMao133

We are all afraid of something, whether we like it or not

What are some of you weird/ unusual fears

Feel free to share

Living thru a hurricane in a small unstable home. Phone calls where people are calling and telling you your carport roof is blowing all the way up and down on your boyfriend's Mercedes. I kinda of went into denial. Which is way before meltdown. Lol. People, people, oh, did l say people?

Last edited:
Idk what counts as weird so i will list them all

Lightning and thunder
Hail
Bad storms
Money
Hatred
My home
creepy bugs
Uncertainty of the future
Making mistakes
Cars
Motirbikes
Roads in general
Major changes
There are probably others but thats off the top of my head.

Taxidermy, and food with bones in it are probably my most irrational ones. Inevitable panic attack though on both.

I have a random phobia of bears, and there are not a lot of bears where I live, and no grizzly bears. But even looking at videos of grizzly bears gives me the ick.

I can’t swim, so I’m afraid of being in the ocean, and having lived in Hawaii before, I’m also afraid of some of the things that are *in* the ocean.
I lived near an aquarium called the Maui Ocean Center that had a huge glass tunnel that you could walk through, and you were surrounded on all sides by huge fish and sharks. I was terrified. Like all I could think about was “What if the glass breaks?”

Horror movies are also kind of an odd phobia for most people, but I’ve talked a lot about my reasoning for that.
I can’t even read the synopsis of certain movies because it triggers a nervous breakdown. I’m still sleeping with my bedroom door locked and a light on in the hallway all night, after something I read while on vacation last summer, and I have moved to an entirely different house since then. The visuals have not left my brain.

True crime scares me but not quite to the same extent. Some of my friends like watching true crime stuff at my house, and it does cause me to sleep with the lights on.

I’m sure there are more weird and irrational ones, these are just the most pronounced.

Oh, and toilets on airplanes and trains. I don’t know exactly why but I’m scared of flushing them.

Oh, and toilets on airplanes and trains. I don’t know exactly why but I’m scared of flushing them.
I have a huge aversion toward outhouses and portapottys and bathrooms with no flushing toilet. If I’m forced to use one, I will end up using so much hand sanitizer that it just becomes this gigantic glob and just rub it all over my hands and arms. The amount I’d squeeze out is comparable to the ridiculous amount people were using right when the pandemic had started.

Senility. The thought of losing control over my own mind is terrifying to me.

I work soooo hard to be kind and polite, but it's still a very deliberate and conscious effort. 1mm underneath that veneer, I'm irritable and easily angered. I'm afraid of what kind of person I would be without any social masking ability.

Well, here is my list:

I fear backlash for some of my list.

My Fears, Phobias and PTSD's:
Fear of people, fear of being left alone with a guest.
Fear of social events.
Fear of direct eye contact.
Fear of being noticed. Fear / inability to strike up a conversation with a stranger. Fear of having to respond.
People walking up behind me.
Pedophobia – fear of children. Mortified by a child running up to me.
Meat isle in grocery store.
Watching anyone preparing and/or eating meat.
Top of my PTSD list: Profound country music phobia / PTSD – anything to do with cowboys or that way of life. As a child, all of my best friends were farm animals (plus many wild animals). They accepted and understood me and sought my company. Devastatingly traumatized by their slaughter – murder. The trauma/PTSD has never subsided. Hearing country music will make me bolt in a mass panic.

Things that Makes Me Very Upset and Angry:
People talking over other people
People yelling and screaming
Disrespect
Greed
Morbid intents
Bigotry
Hatred
Racism
Sexism
Speciesism

I don't know why but I am afraid of all things E.T. (Steven Spielburg's). The movie itself would make me break out in screaming/crying fits as a child...paintings of him on a wall in a restaurant...stuffed E.T.'s, etc. I hate when he is sick and turns white. That is the worst of all.

I don't know why but I am afraid of all things E.T. (Steven Spielburg's). The movie itself would make me break out in screaming/crying fits as a child...paintings of him on a wall in a restaurant...stuffed E.T.'s, etc. I hate when he is sick and turns white. That is the worst of all.
Aww, I'm so sorry :( That sounds so terrifying!

Deep water. Like lakes or oceans. Which is really strange because I really like swimming in general and visiting the ocean really calms me down, as long as I'm not on it. Sometimes I wonder if it's like a primordial thing like we came from the ocean and now know we don't want to go back.

I’m kinda terrified of blank screens, which primarily came from how I saw internet jumpscares as a kid. I remember how I used to look at my old computer screen and get scared over thinking that some scary image would randomly pop up on my screen while it was loading or turning on. This even extended to things like TV screens

I’m afraid of deep water as well. I don’t know why but my imagination plays tricks on me even in deep swimming pools and I get scared there are large animals present. As long as I’m not alone in the deep I can kind of trick my mind that I’m ok. When I was little…4 or 5 I got to go to Sea World and see Shamu but it kind of scared the living day lights out of me. Something that big in that much water. To this day I have nightmares about killer whales. I love them though. When I saw the Black Fish documentary I kind of cried at their beauty the whole time. Thank god the killer whale shows are ending.

I really have had a huge phobia in the past of the dark ever since I was a child I always left the light on. But I have slowly conquered it, I just hate waking up and it is pitch black because I cannot see anything.
I have a phobia of vomiting and this is a huge one I have had since I was young, I am so fearful and do anything to avoid it.
I fear heights, I get really scared.
The Muppets the TV show as well as the theme song. As well as any shows with men dressed as old women.
When people wear glasses and their eyes are really big behind the glasses.
Fire especially lighting it. I am scared of it because I am fearful to drop a match on me too, my hair or body and I have never lit a match.
Snakes but maybe that is a fear rather than a phobia
It used to be germs to a degree like catching stuff on surfaces but I got over it. That is ocd stuff.
I get fearful of people too especially when they are mean and have a lot of power. Because people can really not listen to you as an autistic and u can be in vulnerable situations. I also get fearful of people being mean to me and not liking me in general or saying bad things about me.

I am not fearful of et but I kind of get that, I hate people dressed up too like hocus pocus and beetlejuice and other movies like that. Not really a phobia but it does creep me out a bit.

Senility. The thought of losing control over my own mind is terrifying to me.

I work soooo hard to be kind and polite, but it's still a very deliberate and conscious effort. 1mm underneath that veneer, I'm irritable and easily angered. I'm afraid of what kind of person I would be without any social masking ability.
Wow totally agree there especially as a Christian. I try to be kind and I am a kind person but I fear something unravelling me and then I'm a crazy out of control woman that will never be kind again.
It is ok, it is so autistic. I am sure u are a very kind person, the fact u try is evidence that u are.
If you are trying to be kind, u are winning.

New Threads

Top Bottom