• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Watching tv shows repeatedly

Ovrthkr817

Does anyone else do this?

I can't tell you how many times I've seen each episode of my favourite Tv Shows. I'll watch it live, then when it's available, I download it and watch it again to catch any small details I may have missed during the first watch. Then any other time I watch it, It's more like I'm studying it. I'll watch my favourite parts, but I'll also watch the actors and study their acting. Sometimes, I'll have a random memory of a line and have to watch it to get closure. But I enjoy it so much, I end up re-watching the entire episode yet again.

To me, I've always been like this. If I really like something, I can watch it 1000 times and never get tired of it. I want to take it all in all the time. My problem is my sister. I'm currently unemployed, and she just keeps telling me to "stop it". She says "You're basically watching other people work while you're wasting your time". Which isn't completely untrue, but I don't know how to articulate to her that I can't help it. And even if I were to tell her that, she'd tell me that's a stupid excuse. She forbade me to download the last episode of the show I watch, but kept the recording on the tv. Said if I wanted to watch it again, it's there. When I asked her today if she was okay with me downloading it now (it's been 5 days after it aired) she said "No. Why? You've seen it twice already. You don't need to see it again. Put all that energy/passion into something else". But the problem is, I can't force myself to put energy into something that I don't care about. And sadly enough, I don't care enough about getting a job. So I'm not trying all that hard. Which I do feel upset about because I've been unemployed for two years now.

Anyways, I really don't know why I do this. But I'd like to know if there is anyone else out there with the same issue of watching things repeatedly. Also, if someone who could help me understand why I do this.

I don't know about the why, but I do the same thing. I've watched the entire series of Daria, As Told By Ginger and Batman The Animated Series multiple times, as well as the Indigo League portion of the Pokémon anime and there are certain specific episodes of those I watch a lot even when I'm not running through the whole series.

I've also run through the first season of Orange Is The New Black four or five times by now just because I love the story and want to experience it again. The second season wasn't bad, but it just didn't grab me like the first season did so I've only watched it twice.

I also find myself rewatching the better episodes of Sofia The First fairly often (which make up most of the series since they rarely do episodes that are truly weak).

I guess you could say I'm studying this stuff too because I would love to make films and/or tv series someday and I like to try and figure out precisely why my favorite shows work so well and exactly what it is I like so much about them.

I watch really good films and television no differently than I would appreciate a really good piece of music or art. If I like it, I'll enjoy it the hundredth time as much as the first. Do I care if others cannot relate to this? Uh......no.

I watch really good films and television no differently than I would appreciate a really good piece of music or art. If I like it, I'll enjoy it the hundredth time as much as the first. Do I care if others cannot relate to this? Uh......no.

I'm the same in that respect. It really confuses my family about how I can still watch an old stand-up comedy show or funny clip shows like You've Been Framed! and still find it funny after however many times.

Over and over and over. It drives my boyfriend nuts. I have committed to memory Friends and Gilmore Girls, most of Parks and Recreation, and watch at least one episode of Psych daily. Something comforting about the repetition. Anything that I think has a good cast of diverse characters is helpful to me, I love watching actors say things and seeing others' reactions. For a long time sitcoms framed my human interactions. Unfortunately not everything that is funny on tv is funny in real life!

I've watched Madoka Magica three times in a row, and I'm sure I'll watch it again many more times in the future. I love repeatedly watching my favorite shows, they never get old.

I don't really watch TV as a TV. But I have DVDs and there's a few that I've watched countless timed. Bruce Almighty is the main one which I could probably join in with the actors' lines if I wanted. I think I do this because I like the film and I know it so I don't have to worry that I'll get up (as I will because I'm the worlds greatest fidgeter) because what I miss I know anyway.

I do that with certain movies. I have every word and the entire soundtrack fully memorized.

I enjoy rewatching shows, but I usually space it out several months or a year. Just so it's almost like getting to watch it for the first time again because I forget all the little things. And the little things are what I love. Yes, the good guy will win, likely after things look terribly dismal. But the Grand Nagus hiding in Quark's closet? Oh my goodness! How did I forget? I want to forget it again so I can laugh just as hard the next time!

I can watch Bruce Almighty 3 or 4 times in a row. I'm only limited by the amount of hours in a day (!)

Thank you all for replying. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I try not to let it bother me that it bothers my sister, but I can't help it at times. Among the many things I'm obsessed with, she's been one of those "things" for as long as I can remember. And for no particular reason either.

I'm the type of person that likes to know why things are the way they are, but I guess for this it's just something that is and I'll have to accept that as I continue to repeatedly watch and recite my fav shows. :)

I rarely watch anything more than once, except for music videos from time to time... I always dread the notion that I'm going to see something I already watched before and feel that the experience of seeing it the first time can't be recreated anymore.

However, I have no issues if others are like this... I just prefer to keep checking out new things rather than being hung up with old stuff into repetition. Took me a while to realize that I'm more like that, especially since I've spend lots of money on dvd's years ago only to realize they don't get watched more than once.. maybe a second time, if I have visitors or such. Maybe a third time with a commentary track on, but in general.. .once is plenty for me.

We frequently have Jurassic Park and Tremors marathons. Although I still haven't figured out the floating t-rex trick...

I do this, frequently, and to the annoyance of many, haha. I don't care, it's comforting, and I don't pay enough attention to anything the first time around to catch all of the jokes, details, allusions, and hidden clues anyway. So yeah, re-watching things is a form of study for me, and when it's not, it's a sort of "appreciation ritual."

I can watch the same things forever, they never get old for me. I've watched my favorite anime, movies, and cartoons over and over but they never lose their charm. In fact, I think they get better every time I see them.

When something - be it a film, a book, a game, whatever - is enjoyable no matter how many times I repeat them, I give them my own made up award I call an "Infinity Ribbon". Only four books (including Catcher in the Rye, from which my username comes), about five or six films (including Jurassic Park, as mentioned above), and two or three games have Infinity Ribbons, but I like to enjoy them endlessly. :)

I don't really have this with television shows. If an episode repeats on televion, I will watch it again, but unlike movies, books or songs I don't actively seek out the repetition. Some movies I've watched four times in a row; I often reread favourite books; and some songs are on repeat for hours on end. Television shows don't get the same response.

In my own case, what makes a TV show/film/book truly great is when it leaves me with a desire to return to it, which I often do.

New Threads

Top Bottom