• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Warning to YouTubers: YouTube says it can shut down accounts if they don’t make enough money...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

YouTube says it can shut down accounts if they don’t make enough money in new update to terms

New rules lead to worry that accounts will disappear or that YouTube will favour big creators at the expense of smaller ones

YouTube is rolling out new terms that allow it to shut down accounts that don't make enough money.

The site's new terms suggests that unpopular accounts or those that are otherwise not "commercially viable" could be removed from the platform, along with their videos.

The change has led to fears among users that accounts could be removed from the platform. While some have suggested that the change could allow for the removal of extremist or otherwise dangerous videos, the wording is such that it could apply to almost any user on the platform.

"YouTube may terminate your access, or your Google account’s access to all or part of the Service if YouTube believes, in its sole discretion, that provision of the Service to you is no longer commercially viable," the new terms of use read.

The alterations led to a flurry of angry tweets and Reddit posts from users who worried that the change could allow YouTube to shut channels down more easily. It also led to complaints that the site was favouring big creators at the expense of smaller ones.

YouTube alerted users to the update in its terms in emails and notifications, and said that the change would be rolled out later this year. Users were told that the change had been made to ensure the terms of service were easier to read – but the conditions about commercial viability are not present in the current rules.

“We made some changes to our Terms of Service in order to make them easier to read and to ensure they’re up to date," a YouTube spokesperson said. "We’re not changing the way our products work, how we collect or process data, or any of your settings.

"These changes do not alter how our products work nor how we work with creators, nor their rights over their works, or their right to monetise."

The new rules will come into place on 10 December, 2019, according to YouTube. The company indicated that there will be no change to the way the product works or any settings, but that the rules had been brought instead to better reflect the way YouTube works.

Source: YouTube says it can shut down accounts if they don’t make enough money

Related:
Watch out! YouTube could ban your account if you block ads

What gets me more is that second link. Banning your account if you block ads.

I know what they're going for there. It isnt going to work. It's only going to fuel the fire with the adblock designers as they focus on circumventing Youtube's detection system.

At some point, these big dimwitted corporations are going to have to realize that annoying the funky hell out of consumers with stupid advertisements isnt going to get them to buy their often sketchy products. I dunno about everyone else here, but seeing an ad makes me alot LESS likely to buy whatever. Hell, annoy me with an ad and I might go and specifically buy a competing product out of sheer spite. There's a reason why adblockers are so freakishly popular.

No way I could use freaking Youtube without an adblocker (three at once, actually). And no way they'll stop me from using it. I suppose I should set up a side account until their latest derpy plan is fully known.

As for the rest of it, well.... what else is new? It's a big corporation. OF COURSE they're going to favor whatever is rolling in the dough for them, and ignore the little guys.

Not entirely true; and yes banning accounts due to ad blocking wouldn't fly in the slightest. Technically the Ads are still there, they're essentially are not shown visually and are hidden with an ad blocker enabled, so YT is still making money off of people in general.

[tos] The ToS changes and "Kids Content" mega thread

I never post videos or comment on videos; just watch videos from channels I'm subscribed to (mainly tech related channels) and that's it.

Last edited:
What gets me more is that second link. Banning your account if you block ads.

I know what they're going for there. It isnt going to work. It's only going to fuel the fire with the adblock designers as they focus on circumventing Youtube's detection system.

At some point, these big dimwitted corporations are going to have to realize that annoying the funky hell out of consumers with stupid advertisements isnt going to get them to buy their often sketchy products. I dunno about everyone else here, but seeing an ad makes me alot LESS likely to buy whatever. Hell, annoy me with an ad and I might go and specifically buy a competing product out of sheer spite. There's a reason why adblockers are so freakishly popular.

No way I could use freaking Youtube without an adblocker (three at once, actually). And no way they'll stop me from using it. I suppose I should set up a side account until their latest derpy plan is fully known.

As for the rest of it, well.... what else is new? It's a big corporation. OF COURSE they're going to favor whatever is rolling in the dough for them, and ignore the little guys.

Remember "Broadcast Yourself?"
What about "Don't be evil?"

If this actually does happen as is, I can see the popularity of rival video streamers such as old favourite Dailymotion and rising star Bitchute among others accelerating rapidly.

The vast majority of YouTube content is not monetised. They make it difficult for niche interest channels to reach the monetisation threshold, yet such channels account for a vast amount of their viewing time. They know it's value as a learning platform and most learning content is not monetised either due to their rules or by creator choice.

The feeling amongst many creators is that this change is a political one. It gives them a reason to give when taking down content or shutting down channels which contain inflammatory or damaging material without setting off political alarms. Most corporations have a get out on their more controversial decisions - they simply say it was "a commercial decision" which nobody questions. This is likely youtube creating a framework for them to make publicly "commercial decisions" so as to avoid the usual protestations of hate mongers that their freedom of speech is being curtailed.

When a racist, neo nazi or homophobic channel gets taken down they can quote their monetary policy (enforced on a case by case basis of course) rather than dealing with controversy over it's content.

...You know, with my totally pathetic lack of computer knowledge, as I've said, behind " Post " and " Send ", really:cry:...Now, maybe I never will get a chance to put things up onnYT -:which I have WSNTED to do! - ever:coldsweat: - even if I live long enough and somehow, some way, find a way to find out the computer knowledge - such as " how to out things up in YT ", but not limited to that - that for so long has been forevermore out of my reach:sleepy:.

...You know, with my totally pathetic lack of computer knowledge, as I've said, behind " Post " and " Send ", really:cry:...Now, maybe I never will get a chance to put things up onnYT -:which I have WSNTED to do! - ever:coldsweat: - even if I live long enough and somehow, some way, find a way to find out the computer knowledge - such as " how to out things up in YT ", but not limited to that - that for so long has been forevermore out of my reach:sleepy:.

It's actually very straightforward Steve - not as complex as you might think. If you ever want any pointers as to how to do it, I'm at your disposal.

It's actually very straightforward Steve - not as complex as you might think. If you ever want any pointers as to how to do it, I'm at your disposal.[/QUOQUO

...That could help, thank you...But, Bluntly, with my lack of equipment, lack of comfortable space and privacy and time to myself as if this moment - maybe no:sweat:.

Well if you can make the video itself, Steve, uploading it is very simple. Give me a shout if you ever decide to take the plunge :)

Well if you can make the video itself, Steve, uploading it is very simple. Give me a shout if you ever decide to take the plunge :)

...I would like to.

but I don't have the privacy, or comfortable space, or decent equipment (Just this very low-end phone) to make it on.
Someone who had been taught and knew what equipment to use and had that equipment could, perhaps, shoot s video and out it up on YT with this and a cord but I don't have that knowledge:unamused: - and I'm at the absolute ground floor level, from where I am I'd need questions answered and instruction, and likely would have to ask " You don't know that? " question s - No, I don't know that:emojiconfused:.

@SteveNomad there's loads of videos on YouTube itself about how to get started with nothing more than a phone camera, and there's plenty of vloggers who still use nothing but that. I've invested in a few bits since I got going, but most of what I do can be done with just a phone and the free, open source software I still use. Even the gear I have bought is at the cheaper end and is funded by birthday and Christmas presents.
If it's something you really want to do, check out some of the many "how to get started on YouTube" videos. You'll see how simple it is to really get going with nothing more than a phone and something you want to say. You can even do simple editing on a phone.
Nobody taught me how to do it - I learned it all on my own from the www and by trial & error. I shoot all my videos sat at my dining table and do the editing, graphics etc 8 feet away in my living room.
You could do something similar if you want to ;)

The vast majority of YouTube content is not monetised. They make it difficult for niche interest channels to reach the monetisation threshold, yet such channels account for a vast amount of their viewing time. They know it's value as a learning platform and most learning content is not monetised either due to their rules or by creator choice.

The feeling amongst many creators is that this change is a political one. It gives them a reason to give when taking down content or shutting down channels which contain inflammatory or damaging material without setting off political alarms. Most corporations have a get out on their more controversial decisions - they simply say it was "a commercial decision" which nobody questions. This is likely youtube creating a framework for them to make publicly "commercial decisions" so as to avoid the usual protestations of hate mongers that their freedom of speech is being curtailed.

When a racist, neo nazi or homophobic channel gets taken down they can quote their monetary policy (enforced on a case by case basis of course) rather than dealing with controversy over it's content.

I'm not happy about those channels you mention at the end there, but YouTube has shown many times in the past that they cannot be trusted with stuff like this. They actually have a history of screwing with content creators who are in no way bigoted but are just small.

It's nice to be optimistic, but YouTube's actual real history is not something that brings up optimism.

I can't guarantee they will use this rule to screw over innocent people, but they have done a lot of that in the past, so it's at least very highly likely.

...I would like to.

but I don't have the privacy, or comfortable space, or decent equipment (Just this very low-end phone) to make it on.
Someone who had been taught and knew what equipment to use and had that equipment could, perhaps, shoot s video and out it up on YT with this and a cord but I don't have that knowledge:unamused: - and I'm at the absolute ground floor level, from where I am I'd need questions answered and instruction, and likely would have to ask " You don't know that? " question s - No, I don't know that:emojiconfused:.

Here's the thing:

You have a phone, so low-end or not, you have literally everything you need to make a Youtube video about anything (almost anything). Seriously. These days, you dont even need a computer, technically. A phone can do it all on it's own. You might be surprised, how many channels actually use phones for that reason to produce their content. It depends on the channel.

Have a computer? Are you able to use it well enough to access a site like this? Well congratulations, because setting up a video on Youtube via computer isnt any harder than using this site, nor is it harder than doing it on a phone.

That being said, it's important to understand the reality of what Youtube really is. You can make videos, but dont expect the views to come rolling in simply because you put one out there. There's certainly a bit of luck in getting your videos noticed. Heck if I know how it works.

But yeah, it's seriously easy. Even I have a channel with some videos on it, though they're mostly just random whatever. And I have zero patience whatsoever.... if even I have a channel then, it must indeed be quite the easy and painless process.

Seriously, dont go into new things like this by telling yourself that you cant do something. Go into it with a more positive attitude, and who knows what you might get?

I'm not happy about those channels you mention at the end there, but YouTube has shown many times in the past that they cannot be trusted with stuff like this. They actually have a history of screwing with content creators who are in no way bigoted but are just small.

It's nice to be optimistic, but YouTube's actual real history is not something that brings up optimism.

I can't guarantee they will use this rule to screw over innocent people, but they have done a lot of that in the past, so it's at least very highly likely.

This brings up an interesting side point.

Youtube's true problem right now is that they use automation for everything. Smaller creators that get screwed with? Yep. That's the almighty admin bots roaming around, biting onto things that they arent really supposed to. And since Youtube is lazy as all heck, the people behind it dont exactly spend much time checking to make sure the bots are working correctly. Ah, the wonders of not having real competition....

It's been a big problem for awhile now. Automation is fine and all.... but Youtube doesnt actually know (or care) how to do it right. Never have. Yet they did it anyway. Just as smart as ever...

If they combine something like this, with their usual crappy automation, that's gonna be big trouble. Controversial aspects of it aside, it'll screw with people simply because they're taking an already terrible automaton and giving it even more things to do that it isnt actually capable of handling. AGAIN.

Blasted fools. Youtube really does need a true competitor.

As @Misery points out - youtube relies heavily on automation to monitor content. I've mentioned Hans Asperger and his history but found ways of avoiding using "the other 'N' word" because that's well known to be flagged up by their bots, even if your message is benign or your channel is historical.

They've made some significant progress in making things better for content creators in recent months, particularly regarding bogus copyright claims and making channels more visible. Their poor record in policing content is one of the reasons this latest move is suspected to be connected to that. Yes some of us small channels will get caught up in it which hardly seems fair, but as long as they have a human at the end of the appeals process, things should pan out. They've done that now with copyright so here's hoping.

Just have to wait and see what happens over time. I'm sure the competition would be delighted should the worst ever happen.

TeamYouTube on Twitter

Sounds like a bluff more than anything else with people blowing it well out of proportion. On Twitter. As usual...

A link to the updated terms for reference: Terms of Service - YouTube
A link to an archived ToS from January 2014 (see 11.4, part B): Terms of Service - YouTube

Last edited:
As @Misery points out - youtube relies heavily on automation to monitor content. I've mentioned Hans Asperger and his history but found ways of avoiding using "the other 'N' word" because that's well known to be flagged up by their bots, even if your message is benign or your channel is historical.

They've made some significant progress in making things better for content creators in recent months, particularly regarding bogus copyright claims and making channels more visible. Their poor record in policing content is one of the reasons this latest move is suspected to be connected to that. Yes some of us small channels will get caught up in it which hardly seems fair, but as long as they have a human at the end of the appeals process, things should pan out. They've done that now with copyright so here's hoping.

The sad thing is, for every step they take forward, they tend to take about 200 steps back. And between each step they trip and fall over.

A particularly stupid example of Youtube at it's worst: Recently, the Youtuber known as Markiplier did a big stream video thing. Sort of a "choose your own adventure" action thing where the viewers could vote on what actions should be taken at various points in the story.

Users would vote by using emotes. A red paddle, or a green paddle. Post some paddles and your vote counts. Simple, right? Some Twitch streams involve similar functionality with emotes having an effect on something.

Well, here's the thing: As any moron who has been even remotely near an actual stream for 2 seconds could tell you, nobody ever posts just ONE emote. If someone is going to choose that green paddle, they'll post a single line of like 15 green paddles. They know it doesnt count as 15 votes, but it's just more fun to pop 15 of the things in there. This happens in EVERY stream that involves emotes at all (so... every stream ever).

Too bad Youtube didnt get the memo here. Or maybe they got it, but they thought it was a sandwich and ate it instead of reading it, I dont know.

Youtube, in their infinite wisdom (hah) would see a user post like that. 15 green paddles. Not like, 15 *seperate* posts of green paddles.... just 15 green paddles in a line. Like if I were to type "PPPPPPPPPPPPPPP" like that. HORRIBLE, right? Isnt that so problematic? I bet the servers just died because I typed that. I hope the forum survives.

That's pretty much how good ol Youtube reacted. Actually, no.... they reacted worse than that. People who were doing this... again, this thing that is NORMAL in streams.... were having their accounts banned.

What's that? Their YOUTUBE accounts? Oh dear. No, that's not it.

Their GOOGLE accounts. As in, the entire thing. Completely. Banned. If you know how a Google account works, you might now be spotting just why this is such a big deal. This affects far, far more than just Youtube, for the affected users.

But here's the worst part:

It wasnt just automation. Or at least, it's not supposed to be. People kept trying to contact Youtube/Google about this, but kept being told the same thing "these situations are very carefully reviewed, so if you've been banned, we're sorry but the decision was made for good reason". In other words, the people on the ground floor of the system, those who are tasked with checking up on whatever the automaton does, they sat down, "reviewed" these, saw the horrible legion of server-wrecking paddles, and basically said "Wow, this person is basically a serial killer, I better get rid of them entirely"

This got fixed, but it's strongly suspected that the only reason is because Markiplier himself got really quite angry about the whole thing. As he pointed out, there's a very high chance that this sort of thing has happened on streams from smaller channels, but with THOSE... who is going to fight for them? They dont have the clout to yell at Youtube and get them to do their one and only freaking job.

And that's just one of the most recent debacles. In a long, long, long, LONG line of debacles.

Whatever stupid crap Youtube has planned right now.... there's a 500000% chance that it'll go wrong somehow.

Now if only it'd go wrong in a way that does direct damage to the corporate fatcats who ACTUALLY run things. Then we might see some changes.

...I was very left behind in learning anything whatsoever about computers, even as people of my era began to learn basics. I was left behind:disappointed:.
When I made one of my unsuccessful attempts to go back to college (the one that came closest to happening), in 1995, I knew absolutely nothing - That would have been ridiculous, I know, even in 1985, to attempt to go to college with no computer skills:emojiconfused:. I just did not get that ground floor start:-(.

New Threads

Top Bottom