• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Warehouse work

Rebecca Bailey

Hi,

Is there anyone on here that works in a warehouse? It’s just that I’m looking to get into that sort of work as I feel that I would be able to cope with it. I’m looking for another job as I just don’t feel that my current job is worth the stress anymore, it’s mentally draining as well as socially demanding

I don't work in a warehouse, but I do work in a machine shop, which is a similarly loud, bright and big environment. I do well there.

I think I'd do well in a warehouse too, but it depends on the warehouse. I'd stay as far as possible away from an Amazon warehouse for instance.

I don't work in a warehouse, but I do work in a machine shop, which is a similarly loud, bright and big environment. I do well there.

I think I'd do well in a warehouse too, but it depends on the warehouse. I'd stay as far as possible away from an Amazon warehouse for instance.
What are your duties there if you don’t mind me asking? I want something that’s gonna keep me busy and something where I can work on my own most of the time without being watched, there’s nothing worse than that.

What are your duties there if you don’t mind me asking? I want something that’s gonna keep me busy and something where I can work on my own most of the time without being watched, there’s nothing worse than that.

I'm a machinist - I operate Swissturn lathes (mostly) and EDMs (sometimes). It's a skill and takes a good amount of time to learn, but if you enjoy that sort of thing some shops have entry level positions.

That was one of my first jobs after graduating from college. In the late 70s when jobs were sparse because of the economy. I hated it. Often going home physically exhausted. And at times the job was dangerous as well.

The only relief was when I left the warehouse in the company truck to deliver electrical parts to job sites. But then I was the only person actually designated as a warehouseman. Everyone else was management or sales. Go figure...given this was a big-name, multi-billion dollar electrical parts corporation.

Had the sense to finally quit after a few months and eventually landed a job working in an insurance company that lasted nearly two decades. A much better fit, though trying at times given the social demands of that job.

Last edited:
I learned a lot about warehouses in the USA and watching undercover boss it’s an eye-opener

It depends on which warehouse, some of them are extremely fast paced, there are lots of different jobs in a warehouse of course... Like any job there are expectations, often in a warehouse setting you are supposed to complete a specific job within a set time frame...

It depends on which warehouse...
Yeah.

Way back in the early 1990s, before we'd heard of Asperger's, I knew a guy who arguably, in retrospect, was even further along the Spectrum than me. He'd worked in a warehouse and enjoyed it greatly, but from his description it sounded a fairly laid-back workplace.

My experience of a variety of lines of work, some of them self-evidently more suitable for a person with Asperger's than others (bar work, building work, office work, shop work, farm work, bus-driving, and teaching), tells me the most important criterion is what the individual employer or firm is actually like.

A quiet little office job might be fine, but if the person running the office is not nice, then working there would crucify you. In general one might assume working for a little family firm would be better than working for a big impersonal company, but not all families are nice, and not every family firm is a happy workplace!

Maybe see if, on the grapevine, you can identify any congenial or sympathetic employers that you could try?

New Threads

Top Bottom