• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Wanted: Cheap(ish) USB Desktop microphone UK prices

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

Ideally I want to pay no more than about £15 (Around $20 at current rate I think).for a good one, might hit PC World after work on Tuesday and have a look.

But in the interim can anyone recommend anything? I am aware of eBay and other second hand sites but they're out of stock.

You might want to rethink getting a USB input or output device for audio. Most of them manage to pick up a lot of RF interference unless you have a very well insulated/shielded connections and high quality audio on your motherboard.

I get frustrated at times just using USB speakers...although I have high quality audio on my motherboard. Just bringing a wireless phone anywhere near them causes unwanted feedback sounds. I've even added my own tin foil insulation/shielding with electrical tape to the appropriate wires from the motherboard to the internal minijacks.

I'd think you'd be better off using a microphone that connects its male output minjack directly to your computer's female input minijack.

Last edited:
You might want to rethink getting a USB input or output device for audio. Most of them manage to pick up a lot of RF interference unless you have a very well insulated/shielded connections and high quality audio on your motherboard.

I get frustrated at times just using USB speakers...although I have high quality audio on my motherboard. Just bringing a wireless phone anywhere near them causes unwanted feedback sounds. I've even added my own tin foil insulation/shielding with electrical tape to the appropriate wires from the motherboard to the internal minijacks.

I'd think you'd be better off using a microphone that connects its male output minjack directly to your computer's female input minijack.

I followed your suggestion, bought a cheap mic that plugs into the Motherboard for £6.99 (around $9) and it currently doesn't work.

I will probably go back to Maplin's tomorrow with it armed with the receipt, the Sales bloke did say I could return it in re-saleable condition within 30 days.

I followed your suggestion, bought a cheap mic that plugs into the Motherboard for £6.99 (around $9) and it currently doesn't work.

I will probably go back to Maplin's tomorrow with it armed with the receipt, the Sales bloke did say I could return it in re-saleable condition within 30 days.

Did you make sure to check your audio software to make sure your input minijack is activated? Sometimes that might be required. You want to make sure the problem isn't the input jack itself. Especially if it has never been used before.

New Threads

Top Bottom