• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

vocal stims

whale_bone

V.I.P Member
When I'm really really stressed I kind of moan and repeat words until I forget how to say them and sometimes babble as though I'm speaking what I like to pretend is an ancient language (actually random syllables hewn together on a whim). Eventually it soothes me and I get sleepy.

I kind of wrote it off as me being crazy. But, after doing it today I realized that it's the same thing I'd do after having a "tantrum" and getting locked in my room as a kid. I stopped making noise when upset as I got older. But lately I've rediscovered it, and am doing it when I need to at home. Not full volume. I wish.

Anyone relate?

I have songs that have babble as words, I use them as chants in certain situations. Some folk that have heard me do it think I'm singing in some foreign language... I have yet to own up that I'm not.

Yeah...I'm a vocal stimmer... :p I tend to make up words, that don't really mean anything. Only a handful of people have ever heard me though, as I tend to only show that side of me, to those I feel I can trust.

Honestly, I don't know if I have any vocal stims or not. I've put such effort into not bringing attention to myself in person that a lot of my censoring is subconscious now. I have a bit of mutism that kicks in when my emotions start running high too, so sometimes the happier, sadder, angrier, or whatever I get, the quieter I get.

Yes, as soon as everybody has left the house I go around saying stupid stuff, I ask myself questions and answer them with a different voice (this keeps me very entertained). I also repeat the same frases again and again, for example "how much money are you going to make? Round about 50.000€" I say this once a day at least and I don't even realize that I am saying it.

Like a few other nonverbal kids I know, I make certain repetitive sounds. Sometimes I hum parts of a song I just heard over and over.

When I'm really really stressed I kind of moan and repeat words until I forget how to say them and sometimes babble as though I'm speaking what I like to pretend is an ancient language (actually random syllables hewn together on a whim). Eventually it soothes me and I get sleepy.

I do this as well. I don't remember if i did it as a child or not, but i certainly do as an adult. You can tell how close i am to some form of a breakdown by how much i'm moaning at things. I'll either moan or repeat a word or couple of words that indicate what i need fixed - the former at home, the latter at work when i'm around my favorite supervisors. I minimize it in front of people so that its just to the extent that a childish teenager would do it at most. If i don't feel comfortable with the people i'm around i can suppress it but that takes a lot out of me to do.

If i'm alone its ten times worse, i'll start saying what few japanese words i've picked up from watching anime (idk why tbh i just do) and i'll spiral into a meltdown in minutes. I think all the hitting of my laptop i do at these times is what broke my harddrive, honestly. Oddly - or scarily - enough this wasn't a problem until the past few years. But then again i've never been as overwhelmed with life as i have these past few years.

The clinical term for this is called echolalia, and it's common among those on the autism spectrum, and is sometimes considered a variant on Tourette's as well.

I talk to my computer monitor, usually aloud. I've had to develop a defensive move: "I'm thinking out loud." I genuinely have a hard time thinking if I can't either write or talk at the same time. If it's a meltdown I curl up and call from my gut--I don't think I've ever been overheard, I have plenty of notice when it's coming. It's not safe to be advertising that much vulnerability, but it isn't words or screaming. More like a cross between a groan and a shout and it can take hours to recover from it.

I mutter words on occasion. If I hear a word that sticks in my head, I tend to repeat it at random times. I guess that I like the way that or sounds or it is so unique sounding that it sticks in my head.

I also make random sounds when I am thinking and make up nonsense songs or nonsense phrases to familiar melodies.

I have vocal stims.
I repeat words recently said to me or just words and sounds at random. I sing/chant out sentences/words when stressed and I also have this thing for frequently repeating names out loud for no reason, the most common one being “James” (I don’t know anyone named James)

I repeat words and phrases over and over silently, inside my throat, but with no noise. I guess it's kind of like a mental echolalia. It feels like I'm trying to get just the right pronunciation, but I do it all without physical sound, just the mental sound of it and the physical feel of it in my throat. I often end up with a pretty soar throat by the end of the day because of it all.

I should say I have Tourette's as a comorbid, but there's a stimming aspect too. I might let out some small groan or word as an involuntary reaction to an unwanted thought popping in my head, which is probably more of a Tourette's thing, but other times I do repeat some words or mantra, to help get through some stress, which is more of a stim.

I do find that the past few years I'm opening up a lot more. It's always been mainly a hidden thing I'd do only when alone. Not anymore, and people have to get used to it. In a way me going "aaargh" out of the blue when people are present means I'm at ease with those people. It is spreading though, to other situations where I'd normally be rather focused on staying quiet, and I like it somehow. It just feels a lot better to just be yourself and not worry about how these things are perceived.

I've repeated parts of conversations during high stress times in my life, usually before meltdowns, sometimes for hours, but I commonly make a glottal "Uh" noise in the back of my throat and clear my throat a lot, possibly to cover the noise.. I see it as a form of anxiety or relaxing stim.

New Threads

Top Bottom