• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Vocabulary

I understand it is very common for aspie kids to sound precocious. But I don't see why it should stop there.

I understand it is very common for aspie kids to sound precocious. But I don't see why it should stop there.
Hans Asperger described aspie children as little professors. I guess when we grow up some of us become big professors.

I am Polish and English is not my native language, but I also like learning some sophisticated and not very obvious vocabulary, like "intertwine", "rumbustious", "deftly", "portentous" etc.
I learn this vocabulary even though it is not mandatory in my school, I do it in order to comprehend better the written language and to improve my linguistic skills. I prefer definitely to use more formal words because their informal counterparts don't sound serious enough to me.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, my grandmother was in law for fifty years. Because of that, I picked up her manner of speaking when I was a child. I constantly heard the comments, ". . . little professor," etc. At the time people thought it was cute, but then they ridiculed and mocked me as I grew up. I recall when I was fourteen talking to an acquaintance about a lawn mower engine he wanted to buy from me. His dad was there and asked what we were doing. I said, "We are negotiating a business transaction." He mocked me and made fun of my manner of speaking. I wasn't trying to show off, but rather was merely speaking in the manner that I had been taught. Ever since then, I have toned down my speech.

My Aspie friend said he toned it down too after being made fun of. I told him never to stop using big words because that's who he is and the ones that laughed at him are just jealous!

The loq in loquacious is the same as the loq in eloquent. All the rest is just garnish.

New Threads

Top Bottom