• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Virtual Reality Games

Butterfly88

Jello Queen
V.I.P Member
I'm looking into trying virtual reality games on Steam. Has anyone tried any? Did you like virtual reality or did it cause a sensory overload? Any game recommendations?

I like VR games. I bought Skyrim VR which is beautiful but the controls were not good, so I didn’t play it much. I mostly play rhythm games, such as Beatsaber, Audioshield and Audica. Also, Accounting+ was a fun and weird game, albeit very short.

I like VR games. I bought Skyrim VR which is beautiful but the controls were not good, so I didn’t play it much. I mostly play rhythm games, such as Beatsaber, Audioshield and Audica. Also, Accounting+ was a fun and weird game, albeit very short.
Cool, thanks for the recommendations.

Hi Butterfly! Hope all is well with you and that you'll post about your experiences with VR games if you play any!

Alright, I've got some to show:

Timestamp for each program:

NatureTrekVR 0:50
Chroma Lab 4:20
Google Earth 9:50
EmuVR 15:00
Polybius 20:15

Or if you want to just skip to the super crazy part: 24:00

Note that Chroma Lab is silent because it's meant to run along with music that you play; the stuff inside will react to it.

EmuVR has full sound for the games being played, but for whatever reason that sound does not record.... I havent figured out why.

Now, these are great, but the really big one for me is New Retro Arcade: Neon. It's what got me interested in getting VR in the first place. But for whatever reason, that one refuses to record. Too bad... it's the most impressive of them all.

And the one other thing I couldnt record is SteamVR. There is all sorts of cool stuff to explore in there.

And yeah, I've been doing this for about a year now. I can handle high-intensity stuff at this point, even with alot of zooming around. But most things have comfort options for those that arent ready yet. For instance, Google Earth is being used with all of the comfort options turned off. When those options are on, it's not quite as impressive, but they exist to prevent simulator sickness.

One caveat: DO NOT jump into high-intensity stuff right away, if you're new to this. I promise you: You will regret it. Hard. People tell horror stories about bad VR reactions for a reason.

Start out SLOW. Low intensity, no smooth locomotion. Teleport movement only.

Seriously. You really, really dont want to screw with the whole simulator sickness thing. But if you're careful, and take it slow.... you've got nothing to worry about! Just dont push yourself, and stop as soon as you start to feel slightly weird, and there wont be any problems.

I can come up with boatloads of other recommendations if desired.

I experience intense simulator sickness and motion sickness. I've tried my friend's virtual reality set-up and I actually found that I experienced less simulator sickness than I usually would when playing or watching a first-person game in a monitor. Because the motion is linked to my own head moving, the simulator sickness is much less.

Aside: Does anyone know the prevalence of simulator sickness or motion sickness among the general population versus what is found among autistics?

I experience intense simulator sickness and motion sickness. I've tried my friend's virtual reality set-up and I actually found that I experienced less simulator sickness than I usually would when playing or watching a first-person game in a monitor. Because the motion is linked to my own head moving, the simulator sickness is much less.

Aside: Does anyone know the prevalence of simulator sickness or motion sickness among the general population versus what is found among autistics?

The whole thing differs wildly from one person to the next. Thing is, nobody really seems to ENTIRELY grasp what causes it or how it works. A whole lot of it is theory, mashed together with some facts that dont entirely do the job of explaining it. Which is part of the problem, sure makes it hard for developers to get a handle on it.

I'm on the spectrum myself, but I can handle anything the VR headset can toss at me, which includes sliding around and spinning. Yet if I give the headset to someone else around me (and everyone I know IRL are NTs, so they dont have sensory issues and such) I have to be sure to stay real close just in case one of them loses their balance or something while looking at things in freaking Google Earth. I'm the one that is supposed to have all the sensory issues, and yet that happens.

The only thing I really do know is that it's possible to increase your tolerance for things like this, if the process is done correctly.

Does anyone know if it is possible to rent a VR set to try it out and see if one can tolerate it? If so, where can you rent one?

New Threads

Top Bottom