• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Vintage Ads That Would Never Fly Today

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
Here are some funny vintage advertisements I found. With today's language and culture, they take on whole other meanings. Many are downright offensive, or if read in modern English, without thinking of the context of those times, could be misconstrued as offensive.

You can comment with (clean) vintage ads too!

Let's share the laughs!

iu

6e40a8e7632799aeb569f95fe081827c.jpg

5480d475d1f2e148e0c3bef84330ace6.png

bad-ad-2.jpg

hat-chef-does-everything-but-cook-s-wives-are-my-wife-enwoo-uef

iu

if-men-hate-the-sight-of-you-read-this-lets-62161205.png

41e91e837fb4c775427eb91cce74cd87--retro-ads-vintage-advertisements.jpg

10685556979112d2440fc26e9e6e7520.jpg

iu

iu

cc760bf76b6587ceb8d62f8492b16977.jpg

7d539be64dbbfe574573f1e3e2c8841c.jpg

file-2237-12-picdumps-very-funny-vintage-ads.jpg

iu

Last edited:

Yeaaaaaaaaah. I’m pretty sure if anyone made this ad today, they’d be immediately arrested and put on the list.

The ad about eating lard interests me. I read a story within the last month about how lard was originally demonized. Cotton companies wanted to find a use and a value for an agricultural waste product, cottonseed oil. It was previously used for industrial purposes. They discovered by hydrogenating the industrial waste product using chemicals, etc they could market a lard substitute: Crisco. It was a hard sell. There was nothing wrong with lard (rendered pork fat) and it was ubiquitous.

The makers of Crisco spent more on advertising the product to the public than had been spent on any other product up to that point to convince people to use it. Many many decades later, many many clogged arteries and heart diseases later and here we are today with the knowledge that natural unadulterated fats such as organic lard when eaten in moderation is healthy and much healthier than hydrogenated manufactured fat substitutes.

I think in the ad for Midol and the others, when they use the word "gay" the meaning was intended to be happy or full of joy and not what people usually think of (homosexual), and that would make a lot more sense to people like me and everyone else who wasn't born around the time.

Otherwise, looking on the surface it sounds to me like insults you'd hear on a school playground. Also:

gay-with-midol.jpg

Betty's gay with Midol too :D

New Threads

Top Bottom