• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Very excited to find this forum

aspiemomof2

Good evening all! I found this forum randomly and I'm in hopes of learning all I can! I have a 13y/o son with Aspergers, ADHD, generalized anxiety and sensory integration disorder...... Phew that's a mouth full! We have had this diagnosis for about four yrs and continue to learn every day..... I live in a very diverse house I personally am deaf and ADHD my husband has cerebral palsy our oldest son I mentioned above We also have a soon to be ten y/o son who for now has no diagnoses. We have played the therapy game and it wasn't successful with helping us or him, it left a bitter taste in my husbands mouth so to say so he is apprehensive to trying that route again but as our son has started puberty (ugh) we have noticed some not so great changes..... The dr was so right when he said puberty will either be good or bad And so far not good..... His impulsiveness I think is the worst..... Sorry a little bit of wandering there.... I want to find maybe some different kind of therepy anything to help him channel his moods and frustrations and energy! If anyone has suggestions :))) now would be the time to leave them! I hate to ramble on and on so i'll end this here I guess!! Any tips for a new comer here is welcome as well!! Have a great night all!

Welcome Aspie Mom of 2, you will get the opportunity to learn more from others with the aspergers spectrum.

Hi Aspiemomo and welcome,
Wow you weren't kidding when you said you had an interesting house. Does your son recieve any special therapy, from someone familiar with Aspergers. Adolescents compulsion can be difficult to deal with, without a focused approach, from all fronts
Cheers
Turk

Welcome to AspiesCentral!

I'm not a doctor, but maybe some kind of therapy based on physical activity would help your son. I ride horses for physical therapy (I have cerebral palsy), but the emotional payoff has been equally great for me, and I spent most of my life unaware I had Asperger's. My riding program helps children and young adults with all kinds of conditions, autism included. I guess I'd just been getting the autism-related benefits all along without realizing it. :)

Last edited:
Good evening all! I found this forum randomly and I'm in hopes of learning all I can! I have a 13y/o son with Aspergers, ADHD, generalized anxiety and sensory integration disorder...... Phew that's a mouth full! We have had this diagnosis for about four yrs and continue to learn every day..... I live in a very diverse house I personally am deaf and ADHD my husband has cerebral palsy our oldest son I mentioned above We also have a soon to be ten y/o son who for now has no diagnoses. We have played the therapy game and it wasn't successful with helping us or him, it left a bitter taste in my husbands mouth so to say so he is apprehensive to trying that route again but as our son has started puberty (ugh) we have noticed some not so great changes..... The dr was so right when he said puberty will either be good or bad And so far not good..... His impulsiveness I think is the worst..... Sorry a little bit of wandering there.... I want to find maybe some different kind of therepy anything to help him channel his moods and frustrations and energy! If anyone has suggestions :))) now would be the time to leave them! I hate to ramble on and on so i'll end this here I guess!! Any tips for a new comer here is welcome as well!! Have a great night all!
Wow! This sounds close to home. I believe the young man is struggling to find hid identity away from home. We all start out being our parents child, a role we understand well, and a comfort zone. Suddenly we become a young adult, an unfamiliar role and one with little to no direction. Young men NEED a role model, and one they can connect with. This is most often not the dad, as this period in life is all about breaking away from your parents and establishing yourself. There are places you could look in hopes of providing this like "Big Brothers Big Sisters, Kinship Program, The Eagles or something Eagles flying club and more I am sure. Summer Camp may also prove beneficial, and many have scholarship programs.
Not having a positive role model is sometimes costly, as it leaves the door open for a not so positive one to come along. If you watch the original Disney movie of Pinocchio it may help you to understand better about how boys of that age are pretty much a clean slate, waiting for someone to come along and write on it.
Good luck and blessings, he is lucky to have a mom like you.

Wow, we have a lot in common! I am a 13 year old aspie, and also have ADHD. I was diagnosed about 5-6 years ago.
It was pretty obvious I had ADHD because of my craziness and not being able to sit still for more than 3 minutes at a time. My diagnosis of Aspergers was also pretty obvious-- I have always never been able to hold eye contact, let alone even look up at people's faces. I hung out with boys(just being a tomboy) up untill still have some problems interacting with others, but I'm doing better and better each day!

Thank you to everyone!! I'm still floundering through the site trying to see and understand it all! It's been great to read other posts that I can relate to! I am toying with letting my son post here but I'm still unsure as of yet, what are your opinions on that?

Aspiemomof2

I think it could be a benefit for your son to see there are others like him Aspie mum, you cold monitor for a short while, may be show him around.

Thank you to everyone!! I'm still floundering through the site trying to see and understand it all! It's been great to read other posts that I can relate to! I am toying with letting my son post here but I'm still unsure as of yet, what are your opinions on that?

Aspiemomof2
There is a lot to take in Aspiemomo, so make sure you take time to let it sink in. Please dont fear asking any questions of us, as everyone here, are very approachable and understanding. As for your son posting, thats completely up to you. Having said that, this is one of the few forums ive seen, thats monitored and admined, in a family freindly way. I have no doubt he would be recieved with open arms and there's always someone on, to chat with. One of the real benefits, of being part of this forum Aspiemomo, is the comfort in knowing your not alone. Something I wish I had in my earlier years

Thank you all so much your advice and warm welcomes are truly appreciated! I'm going to explore the site and have him do it with me and see if it's something he is interested in! I'll just be sure to monitor his activity. As much as he is 13 his social age is not 13, I'm not sure if that makes any sense. :-/

There is a lot to take in Aspiemomo, so make sure you take time to let it sink in. Please dont fear asking any questions of us, as everyone here, are very approachable and understanding. As for your son posting, thats completely up to you. Having said that, this is one of the few forums ive seen, thats monitored and admined, in a family freindly way. I have no doubt he would be recieved with open arms and there's always someone on, to chat with. One of the real benefits, of being part of this forum Aspiemomo, is the comfort in knowing your not alone. Something I wish I had in my earlier years

Aspiemomof2

New Threads

Top Bottom