• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Verbally Reciting Your Routines To Yourself

Granta_Omega

I catch myself doing this all the time. Whether doing my paperwork at work and going through one step at a time, or back when I was in fast food I was noticed doing this in front of co-workers, one who even starting doing it next to me as a joke trying to show me an example of what it sounded like to him.

For some reason, when it comes to tasks I've done over and over again, it is easier to say what I'm doing as I'm doing it for some reason.

Sounds vaguely familiar to me. Maybe a coping tactic for working memory deficits? Reciting the step one has reached out loud helps one to keep track of what has already been done and what comes next because something that is heard is maybe easier to keep in mind than something that is simply thought. The sensory component makes a bigger impact on the mind.

I actually don't have a difficult time remembering when I catch myself doing it though. It just seems natural to talk about what I'm doing.

I always talk to myself to remind myself of what I want to accomplish. But that is not because I naturally do that, the reason I do that is because I am dealing with criminals daily who want to derail my life and my goals. Because usually I do not do that.

This sounds like a great idea to me, if you can use it well, and be aware of when it might be annoying to others. When your co worker mimics it, laugh with them, (it's a sad person that can't laugh at themselves), and be proud to say "that's just me, that's the way I am". Colleagues will learn to love you for being you. Though if someone finds it totally distracting and irritating, that needs addressing promptly too. My dad played imaginary trombone a lot, even when at work. At 91, he never stops singing. He's great! I've always tried to make as little noise as possible, cos I'm a scaredicat! We are all just who we are - unique individuals

I always talk to myself to remind myself of what I want to accomplish. But that is not because I naturally do that, the reason I do that is because I am dealing with criminals daily who want to derail my life and my goals. Because usually I do not do that.

Actual criminals? You work in a prison? Or do you mean figurative ones?

That's so ME!! I'll be talking to myself about my duties for the morning, and Chris or or one of the other pros will hear me( I'm usually between tasks, walking through the clubhouse) & ask me if I'm talking to myself. I tell them why I do it, & they seem to understand.

That's so ME!! I'll be talking to myself about my duties for the morning, and Chris or or one of the other pros will hear me( I'm usually between tasks, walking through the clubhouse) & ask me if I'm talking to myself. I tell them why I do it, & they seem to understand.
I do the same. It just helps me get through the day if I verbally go through my schedule as it is happening or when I get up in the morning. Just a comfort thing.

I catch myself doing this all the time. Whether doing my paperwork at work and going through one step at a time, or back when I was in fast food I was noticed doing this in front of co-workers, one who even starting doing it next to me as a joke trying to show me an example of what it sounded like to him.

For some reason, when it comes to tasks I've done over and over again, it is easier to say what I'm doing as I'm doing it for some reason.
I write them over and over again, it's soothing and makes me stop worrying.

New Threads

Top Bottom