• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

US autistic man survives in Utah desert for three weeks

Droopy

Founder & Former Admin
V.I.P Member
BBC News said:
An autistic man who survived for three weeks in a remote Utah desert is said to be in a stable condition. William Martin LaFever, 28, travelled an estimated 40 miles (64 km) in the Escalante Desert in southern Utah, in an attempt to walk to Page, Arizona. Mr LaFever told his family that his hiking gear had been stolen, and his father had wired money to Page. To survive, he scavenged food, including frogs, and drank water from the Escalante river.

Deputy Ray Gardner, who was aboard the helicopter that spotted Mr LaFever, said the 28-year-old was emaciated and could not stand when he was found. "I could not believe that he was alive, and feel certain that in another 24 hours he would not have been alive," Mr Gardner said in a statement. A sheriff's office said that Mr LaFever had called his father in early June to say he was hiking in the area with his dog, but that some of his hiking gear had been stolen and he was out of money.

John LaFever, of Colorado Springs, Colorado, told his son to catch a ride to Page to get the money. Instead William LaFever apparently decided to hike along the Escalante river and then hitch a boat ride along Lake Powell to the Arizona town, according to the sheriff's department. Garfield County Sheriff's spokeswoman Becki Bronson told the Associated Press that the desert is "some of the most rugged, unforgiving terrain you will find anywhere on Earth", including "jagged cliffs, stone ledges". "Where William was hiking, there just isn't anyone out there," she said. "There are no people. There are no towns."

Mr LaFever was flown to Garfield Memorial Hospital, and Ms Bronson told the BBC he is in stable condition.

Original article: click here

Thanks for posting the article! I saw the story on the news. William was incredibly resourceful: he survived a harrowing experience that would've killed most people.

I wonder how many of us could eat a raw frog. I'm not sure I could.
Does anyone know if the dog survived?
(If the man ate him, please don't tell me).

I don't know if it's an aspie thing or not, but I have the ability to stubbornly fixate on something and not give up. I wonder if that's what got him through.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom