• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unsure of moving on in relationship

Brian29

Hi, I'm a new member here. I'm not sure if I have aspergers or not, although I suspect it. I've had a lot of problems in my relationship that are mainly due to me, and I didn't understand why for awhile, but some of the aspergers traits maybe have caused it. Anyway, I just am curious about anyone's opinion on this one issue for now.

My girlfriend is gonna buy a house soon, and is looking at one this week, maybe even tomorrow. I was not ready to buy a house already, I am paying down my private student loans before I want to get a house or anything. But the thing is, she's ok with that and will be putting the house only in her name. This is because of my financial situation, and because we're not totally sure if we're gonna end up together, we're up and down a lot. But I still have concerns, because even if I'm just living there, it seems like a big step to me.

We live with her sister right now in an apartment complex. it's hard for me to enjoy living with her sister also, and idk why. I just don't enjoy usually when she's hanging out with us, because she always does when shes here. She does work and we still get enough alone time because her sister also goes home to her parents too. But still, I find it hard to live with her. I've been saving like all of my money for awhile and I think soon I can start buying some stuff for myself related to my hobbies, so when she brought up the house thing it was unexpected so soon. But again, I shouldn't really be concerned since I won't be attached to the mortgage. I just don't' know if I enjoy living with them both. I do enjoy it when it's just me and my girlfriend, but even then we have fights (which seem to be my fault though)

I guess I'm relectant about the commitment to one area, if we stay together. Also, they want to get a dog or two since they'll have a house. They already have 3 cats, and hamsters. I do like animals, but the responsibility of the dogs worries me, even though I'm sure I won't have to do much since they will be theirs.

Her mom is going with her to look at the house already, and I feel awkward because my name won't be on it, I won't be contributing to the down payment bc I'm using my money for my loans for now, so i feel just like a friend. Idk. IT is nice thinking about being in a house, without neighbors above/next to you, and having your own space, but its just a quick change. And sometimes I feel like I'd like being by myself, although I hate annoying neighbors. Does this seem totally stupid to worry about, esp bc I am not attached to the mortgage? I mean I got upset yesterday because it's happening so quick, and I upset her and she said I was ruining her experience. She's mad that I'm not like any other couple since everyone else is excited and into buying a house, and doing it together.

First of all, hello to you Brian29! Welcome to AC.

Sometimes I have trouble becoming comfortable with change, even if it is for the better. It can take me awhile to adjust to a new situation. It used to upset my partner because I wouldn't react to a pleasant surprise with joy. Well, a surprise to me means anxiety. Change can be hard for Aspies, even when it is good change. If that is the case for you, perhaps you can explain it to her?

First of all, hello to you Brian29! Welcome to AC.

Sometimes I have trouble becoming comfortable with change, even if it is for the better. It can take me awhile to adjust to a new situation. It used to upset my partner because I wouldn't react to a pleasant surprise with joy. Well, a surprise to me means anxiety. Change can be hard for Aspies, even when it is good change. If that is the case for you, perhaps you can explain it to her?

Thanks a lot. I feel like that too. When I started working after I graduated college, I had months of anxiety/depression about starting my job, and paying my student loans back since I have quite a bit lol. But now I'm a lot more comfortable with that. Yeah I try to explain it, but I'm not diagnosed as aspergers, and she definitely doesn't like how I react negatively to things like that. I even get nervous about planning vacations. I just can't seem to understand myself much of the time, let alone explain it to her. Thanks. We'll see how things go I guess, I have to stop saying that she makes me feel certain ways because that upsets her.

New Threads

Top Bottom