• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unoccupied flat below me

Why are they unwilling to conduct viewings, when it would be in their financial interests and within the current covid rules when they would benefit?
Given the rules, why are they unwilling to conduct viewings?
They can easily refuse to let people without masks to view.
I don't understand.

Because their potential premises liability of an excluded peril far exceeds any profit over a real estate transaction. An exposure that cannot be effectively controlled or eliminated. When the optimal response is simply avoidance.

When this pandemic finally ends, expect to see a barrage of litigation coming. Where businesses may be forced into bankruptcy or even dissolution, short of government somehow bailing them out. Legally speaking, to my knowledge this remains "uncharted territory" for a number of developed nations.

So far America's Republican party has tried, yet failed to incorporate laws into legislation that would alleviate such liability for businesses. And with a new regime coming to Washington, prospects for such relief seem politically remote unless it becomes a bargaining chip for Congressional Republicans. Conversely whether the Tories can effectively introduce such legislation into Britain's Parliament might be a possibility, though I can't comment on the real possibilities.

For now, it would seem potential liability issues arising from the pandemic remain something of a legal nightmare. However because of the pandemic itself, don't expect anyone wanting to attend a crowded civil courtroom.

There's a saying...penny wise and pound foolish. In other words, they save every penny they can (for example, by not doing regular maintenance) and they wind up costing themselves more in the end as a result. It boils down to shortsightedness - they think about the money they can save today, without considering what it's going to cost them tomorrow.

And that mindset is rampant. Sometimes it happens out of necessity (because maybe they can't afford to do the maintenance etc. even if they know it's going to cost them later). Often times, though, it's just carelessness and greed. The term "slum lord" comes to mind.
That is utterly depressing.

Because their potential premises liability of an excluded peril far exceeds any profit over a real estate transaction. An exposure that cannot be effectively controlled or eliminated. When the optimal response is simply avoidance.

When this pandemic finally ends, expect to see a barrage of litigation coming. Where businesses may be forced into bankruptcy or even dissolution, short of government somehow bailing them out. Legally speaking, to my knowledge this remains "uncharted territory" for a number of developed nations.

So far America's Republican party has tried, yet failed to incorporate laws into legislation that would alleviate such liability for businesses. And with a new regime coming to Washington, prospects for such relief seem politically remote unless it becomes a bargaining chip for Congressional Republicans. Conversely whether the Tories can effectively introduce such legislation into Britain's Parliament might be a possibility, though I can't comment on the real possibilities.

For now, it would seem potential liability issues arising from the pandemic remain something of a legal nightmare. However because of the pandemic itself, don't expect anyone wanting to attend a crowded civil courtroom.
So it's a COVID thing?

In terms of real-time considerations it's likely to be the most prevalent one. But it certainly doesn't mean it's the only one either.
Well the UK hasn't banned estate agents from conducting viewings due to the covid thing, maybe people themselves are anxious about moving due to it?

Well the UK hasn't banned estate agents from conducting viewings due to the covid thing, maybe people themselves are anxious about moving due to it?

From my own perspective, governments are so preoccupied with safety concerns they haven't had the time to even consider the legal implications. Leaving business and property owners left to their own devices in terms of controlling or eliminating hazards. Or choose a course of action that may inherently be risking their lives, depending on their biological ability to withstand the virus.

From my own perspective, governments are so preoccupied with safety concerns they haven't had the time to even consider the legal implications. Leaving business and property owners left to their own devices in terms of controlling or eliminating hazards. Or choose a course of action that may inherently be risking their lives, depending on their biological ability to withstand the virus.
That's grim.

New Threads

Top Bottom