• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

University

Violette88

Going to University next year, moving interstate and staying in a college. When I changed schools I was too overwhelmed and basically lost many of the social skills I had learnt, and became really depressed. I am a bit worried I will have a meltdown and not be able to deal with all the change and new people etc. Sorry I dont really know how to articulate this... but any advice at all would be greatly appreciated :) xx

Are you in contact with the unis disability services? Depending on what services they provide you might be able to get a mentor, who could help you with adjusting to uni life, join clubs, settling into your classes etc. They might be able to arrange for you to have a thorough tour of your classrooms, living areas etc. before term starts so that you can get used to the campus without the stress of crowds. Also find out if they have a support group/network for people on the spectrum.

Remember that everyone will be starting off anew when it comes to their social circle, and the vast majority of people will be very nervous, even if they don't show it. No one will have established friendship groups and for the first week or so spent there pretty much everything you do will be designed around helping you make friends, so do everything you cant to take that opportunity to meet people. It will probably be stressful, but putting in that extra effort in those first few days will make things much easier socially in the long run. Join at least one club, this is absolutely the best way to meet people with similar interests, and often even similar personalities as certain types of people are often attracted to certain types of activities.

Definitely echo NothingToSeeHere in seeing the disability services. If they don't have one, is there a pastoral tutor? Someone you can go and talk to if things get too much? If possible, maybe meet them before term starts and get to know them, how to access them etc.
Is there any possibility of visiting a few times before you go? Get to know the college and where you're going to be taught before all the other students get there - it really helps in those first weeks when no one knows where to go and what to do. It also feels like less of a big change if you've gotten to know the place before starting your studies.
For the first couple of weeks, have some plans in place for your free time - just in case you have lots of spare time because it's the beginning of term. It's quite a stressful time for everyone, so if you can bring some things you know really relax you - remember you don't have to do all the freshers' things all the time. Saying that, join a club or two as a way of getting to meet people with a similar interest.
I really hope this helps - and that you're able to look forward to going to Uni as well!

New Threads

Top Bottom