• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Understanding of Autism

You could take it further and point out that no two people experience autism the same, and therefore no one can understand anyone.

Can some non-autistic people achieve a level of understanding? Yes. Can they understand in a literal sense (yes I'm being literal or "absolute")? No.

No one can literally understand another in the most literal terms. However that's not what this is about.

I'm not talking about any perceptions of potential harmony among a vast majority and a tiny minority. Just enough understanding to avoid us from ignorance that leads society to persecution and prejudice. No different than the struggles of so many other minorities.

But that we have to be careful about how we go about it.

Knowing that even those closest to us may not have the capacity to understand even in part. Where only a tiny number of such persons have any prospect of even limited success, compared to the vast majority who will either fail or simply not care.

Whenever I discuss this issue online here it's always as a warning- not a plea for understanding. That the very odds of people understanding to any extent are remote. That the message is to be cautious of who you tell as their reaction may be much less than you hoped for. Even a parent or sibling. You just never know....

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom