• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitive Topic Two Articles: Responses to Jerry Seinfeld’s self-diagnosis

I guess now would be an appropriate time for opinion about co-morbids...are they truly co-morbid,or just another part of the spectrum that has not been properly identified?

There are so many differences of brain functioning that seem to come in twos and threes or more. One has to wonder what we have yet to understand that would explain such things, or if we will ever reach that point of understanding. All we really know is that we don't know much. Another reason why I am loathe to put too much faith in clinical diagnosis, except in cases with the most flagrant manifestations of any disorder.

Neuroglia make up as much as 80% of our brains, yet until the 21st century, not even twenty years ago, we didn't know they played an active role in neurotransmission. If we are still figuring out the essential functions of the largest component of our brain mass, how the hell can we say we have a handle on precisely what the rest of the brain is doing, how, or why...never mind what we should call some of it?

Last edited:
There are so many differences of brain functioning that seem to come in twos and threes or more. One has to wonder what is we have yet to understand that would explain such things, or if we will ever reach that point of understanding. All we really know is that we don't know much. Another reason why I am loathe to put too much faith in clinical diagnosis, except in cases with the most flagrant manifestations of any disorder.

Neuroglia make up as much as 80% of our brains, yet until the 21st century, not even twenty years ago, we didn't know they played an active role in neurotransmission. If we are still figuring out the essential functions of the largest component of our brain mass, how the hell can we say we have a handle on precisely what the rest of the brain is doing, how, or why...never mind what we should call some of it?
Possibly all roads do lead to Rome but have not been traveled to prove it yet

So many people on here did self-diagnosis. But when you're Jerry Seinfeld it's a bad thing. Weird double standard. Not everyone who is famous is trying to get money or more attention.

I actually quit posting on this thread because I was self-diagnosed until I got professional opinions...as it turns out,I WAS right...I saw a war starting and avoided it like the plague...I took the offense to some being labeled as a fakes due to not having the very subjective diagnostic criteria aka opinion of a pro...I never got an answer about what were considered "proper" diagnostics yet,only pissed off and went into hiding...DNA gene marker testing that is scientific still needs observation of a pro to back the the only science used during diagnosis. The narrow window of opportunity for the pros to look at the situation is but a tiny snapshot of a person's lifetime,not the whole picture.Once again,it is an opinion,not a fact...I could just as well say that the professional diagnostics are fake as well because so little science applies to their work. How many slipped through the cracks that were truly autistic and how many were diagnosed improperly that weren't. To me,that is an insult to the entire autistic world served up piping hot and ready by professionals passing out or denying paperwork...I am not putting the professional crowd down as a whole,but as intelligent as I am,I know that I am very capable of making mistakes as all humans are.Is your professional diagnosis truly sound,or only an opinion? Oops,what was I thinking...can't be wrong,professionals never are...

I mentioned to Vanilla that as a group,we are not permitted to bash the NT world,so why are we able to bash each other? Why do we bash each other she said? more or less quoted by her,"because each of us thinks we are right"... Have you ever met an high functioning autie who didn't have a strong opinion?
That pretty much summed it up for me and I am back in business again ;)

Need a label for me? Try on prodigious autistic savant...there are a ton of varying opinions on that subject...If you believe that my lifetime photographic memory,frighteningly high IQ and extreme level of awareness was caused by something that only looked like autism,then offer it to me,I do like to learn ;)

Very well said. The content is rich and clear.

I'm a high scoring Aspie. Looking at the traits of an High Functioning Aspie is like looking at a mirror of my life, with suttle differences in experiences.

I started seeing "psychiatrists" in 1994. It was a measure I took to "help manage my own life", using a "highly trained coach" to assist. I've been seeing Harvard graduated and such "psychiatrists" every 3 months since 1994.

Well I was diagnosted by my wife in 2010. And I have went to only higgly mature and experienced psychiatrists. Go figure. They where clueless of my root problem, Bigtime.

I'm one of five kids family, and nobody has ever thought I was an Aspie and still don't. Go figure.

I've worked for two employers: one for 18 years with over 50,000 employees and my current one for 15.5 years with over 50,000 employees. I've never heard or sensed anyone thinking I was an Aspie. Go figure.

Society and the Psychiatric Profession are not reliable at recognizing High Functioning Aspies.

I'm glad I was over 50 years old before I found out the obvious that I'm an Aspie. First, life has struggles for all, regardless. That is how I faced my issues. You face, deal with, and manage your problems. NT have to too. I've lived a life around them, they have serious problems too. They have to live with and manage their problems too. They go to psychiatrists too, at least the humble ones. There are some NT too socially sensitive to be labeled "going to a psychiatrist". It is a fact.

The Autistic lower on the Spectrum need more than self management. Autism is a Spectrum, for the variations and depth of traits range to extremes.

But like the fellow poster above, there is for HFA some benefits. Yes - benefits.

I'm ultra monotone, so soft spoken that during almost every conversation people ask me "what? can you speak up or repeat what you said?"; my heart races by adrenalin whenever I have to talk in crowds or even small meetings; when in grade school found out I could not speak in front of others - a problem that never went away; I'm an intense loner seeking always to be alone; get overloaded at large group events like conferences and hate attending any of them; and the list goes on. But I have learned to endure and do the best I can. And as a HFA have out performed most NTs.

I count meeting the Lord Jesus at age 23 the biggest reason for prospering as an Aspie since college. Through Grace He controls our circumstances, life encounters, and help in time of need.

financial or professional success doesn't necessarily mean they are functioning well..... well in those areas perhaps... but that doesn't mean that they can manage personal relationships, remember to pay their bills or meet obligations without the aid of someone else.... or other issues associated with ASD.

If he is sincere about having ASD or suspecting ASD... He should indeed seek professional assistance. If he is indeed just trying to jump on some bandwagon.. .(that many of us wish we were off of)... that is truly a slap in the face indeed. I hope he is sincere at which time... I would welcome him here.

Personally, I was not diagnosed until I was in my late 40's.... and although I am considered HF... I can manage many aspects of a professional career... but I had a great deal of help from great family members and a team of professionals getting where I am today.

I never had the impression that Jerry Seinfeld was attempting to be "fashionable" coming out about his suspected autism. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have parents and doctors to alert them as to their neurology so early in life. Whether you become famous or not.

Newsflash: ASD isn't just for kids. No one should feel apologetic for making such a discovery and revelation much later on in life. I certainly won't.

I've always suspected Ray Romano was on the spectrum

He certainly portrays one brilliantly.

I'd like to have heard Jerrys opinion. There's always two sides..

Alas, we'll never get to hear it--at least no more than what he said to Brian Williams. What a shame for him.

financial or professional success doesn't necessarily mean they are functioning well..... well in those areas perhaps... but that doesn't mean that they can manage personal relationships, remember to pay their bills or meet obligations without the aid of someone else.... or other issues associated with ASD.

If he is sincere about having ASD or suspecting ASD... He should indeed seek professional assistance. If he is indeed just trying to jump on some bandwagon.. .(that many of us wish we were off of)... that is truly a slap in the face indeed. I hope he is sincere at which time... I would welcome him here.

Agreed. My own partner will be the first to say that his professional success is a bit deceiving. He appears to function well in daily life, but it's a very nonstandard life, crafted especially to avoid having a "normal" one on which he can be readily judged.

I'm not convinced Seinfeld would feel he needs professional assistance. The level of fame he's attained, his successful marriage of fifteen odd years, etc., don't necessarily ask for intervention. That's the thing I've learned about Asperger's--for many adults not diagnosed for cause in childhood, embracing the condition isn't about needing doctors, it's about finding peace and answers. Some people need external, official validation, whilst for others, the validation needed is found within. When a bell rings, it's heard the same no matter who rung it.

I'm not convinced Seinfeld would feel he needs professional assistance. The level of fame he's attained, his successful marriage of fifteen odd years, etc., don't necessarily ask for intervention. That's the thing I've learned about Asperger's--for many adults not diagnosed for cause in childhood, embracing the condition isn't about needing doctors, it's about finding peace and answers. Some people need external, official validation, whilst for others, the validation needed is found within. When a bell rings, it's heard the same no matter who rung it.

Very true indeed. Thanks..:)

NOT to re-open this discussion (I believe it's 'cooked' ;) aka finished), but just a quick update. Epath13 already mentioned that Jerry Seinfeld retracted his statements, but I want to add this formal update. Regardless of whether Seinfeld is potentially on the spectrum or not, regardless of WHY he retracted, I think it's always important to be aware of the most recent accurate information in all situations.

For instance, earlier today I suggested that a recently diagnosed AC member throw out Seinfeld's name as someone self-diagnosed with Aspergers in an attempt to assuage some of their partner's fears about "autism". I since edited that post & substituted Daryl Hannah instead, because if that partner, who knows very little about HFA, searched on-line about Seinfeld's reported autism, he would discover the retraction & it would damage the teller's credibility. The partner's knowledge of autism is not at a level where they could participate in an in-depth discussion of 'why' Seinfeld might have retracted etc...

So anyway, FYI that on Nov. 19, 2014, Jerry Seinfeld retracted his statements about possibly being on the spectrum, although he said he "relates to it".

“I don’t have autism, I’m not on the spectrum,” the Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee star said Wednesday. “I was just watching a play about it, and … I related to it on some level.”

Jerry Seinfeld Says He Is Not on the Autism Spectrum

Jerry Seinfeld Explains Autism Comments | Access Hollywood

Here's a related AC discussion thread:
Jerry Seinfeld - On the spectrum? | AspiesCentral.com

I remember in my early 20s going through very serious challenges coming to terms with the fact that I was now an adult on the spectrum, and I was going to have to figure out healthy ways of dealing with this, particularly in the professional arena (which I had a really hard time adjusting to). One evening I was in my shrink's office with my parents there, we all were having a meltdown, it was very dramatic (except the shrink, who was just watching this all unfold). And in my idealistic know-it-all attitude (which isn't uncommon among 20-somethings, from what I've been told), I remember exclaiming, "Why shouldn't I disclose and just talk freely about it? Having Asperger's isn't all that uncommon, it's getting more coverage in the mainstream media since I was a kid, people think all the time they could have traces of Asperger's. What's the big deal? Why would people shun me for that??" At this point, my shrink finally spoke up: "The big deal isn't whether or not people will shun you. The big deal is YOU REALLY DO HAVE ASPERGER'S SYNDROME!!!!!" The way I think that all relates to the Seinfeld thing is that what I think he was trying to communicate to me when he said that was putting out a medical diagnosis of any type as public knowledge is something that I really need to think carefully about in terms of when, where, and with whom I share it, because it IS serious, and it carries a lot of medical and legal implications.

Personally, I don't have an opinion on whether he could or could not be, but the fact that he was bullied into retracting, by parents no less, is absolutely deplorable. Parents do have a perspective on autism, but they have an unfortunate tendency to forget that they don't have the only one, and that the reason they are so-called "autism parents" in the first place is because a human being--who is not them--was born that actually has autism.

I would not use social skills as a criteria for diagnosing entertainers. We have media marketing, social marketing and positioning, public relations and, damage control people as well as coaches for anything you might imagine we need to learn to do and, do well.

I've got an official Dx, just for this reason. I don't want to share in this sort of media storm when I come out publicly. Still, after 30 years in this business, I have learned to be a very good socialite. I will never be as good as an NT born with a natural aptitude for socializing but, I am good enough to pass with no one suspicious in even the most elite social circles.

No that isn't natural nor instinctive, it's strictly learned skills, phrases and actions or movements that I have been taught to look for. I spent six months in a facial expressions class, another six months studying body language, I self taught myself over twenty thousand metaphors and figures of speech that are commonly used around the world. I had a conversational coach for five years, on earpiece telling me exactly what to say and do in social settings but, I learned it all and, now I can do it on my own. Don't discount musicians, actors, comedians and other entertainers as being on the spectrum just because we appear to socialize well, and even smile and seem to like doing it - it's all a part of the carefully crafted and managed images our handlers build for us, just a façade and an act, one we put a lot of effort into learning and perfecting but, still there are a lot more shy, introverted, social failures entertaining al of us that you would ever guess and, some of them might be on the spectrum.

New Threads

Top Bottom