• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Twirling Naked In The Streets And No One Noticed

Twirling Naked In The Streets And No One Noticed 2014-04-24

donkey_kebab

donkey_kebab submitted a new resource:

Twirling Naked In The Streets And No One Noticed - Growing up with undiagnosed autism

I know everyone's journey is different, but this book is as though the author had climbed into my head and written my life history. I have YET to read a better description of the battles and hardships I have faced prior to the realisation that I have Aspergers.

Written by a (now diagnosed) spectrum inhabitant. It is a brilliant insight into the everyday battles of an undiagnosed autism sufferer , and how it remained unnoticed for 30+ years.

I now pass this to friends and family who cannot...

Read more about this resource...

Just finished reading the book - very well written! Definitely should be on everyones recommended reading list.

I wonder if this sort of account will become a sort of historical perspective of what it was like in the days before proper diagnosis of ASD? With luck, no kid should have to go through what us adults with ASD have had to endure. It is moving, and I wonder if her grandmother was still around by the time she got the diagnosis? I hope so, because it sounds like she was close to her.

Thanks for the suggestion! However, being a technology moron, I'll swing by Books-a-Million for a hard copy since I don't have a Kindle. In fact, I've never seen a Kindle. That shouldn't be a surprise, though, because I'm using a computer that's over ten years old.:rolleyes:
YOu can read a kindle version on your computer.

Wow, I have to read this.

I was just thinking about how, I would disappear from class (or more likely, not realize that recess was over). The teachers would panic, only to find me out in the middle of the soccer field, all alone...spinning.

And how I would spend hours a day with a blanket over my head, rolling back and forth in bed and singing/listening to music, daydreaming. How I destroyed TWO mattresses doing this.

I was literally an autism stereotype and yet, no one made the connection. Now as an adult I've been told I'm "just quirky", "too high functioning for a diagnosis", "don't worry you're completely normal" while I die a little inside each time it's said.

Bought and just started reading this book. Now I'm starting to wonder just what it is going on with me but do have much of what the author experienced throughout early childhood in common.

What makes me now question my being on the spectrum is that my imaginary friends were inanimate objects, but then I wasn't as caught up in my own little world as I was obsessed with the lives of other people and observing people - even other kids at school - with an obsession.

I can relate somewhat to the motherhood experience, although it seems so far that she at least has a good relationship with her family. I do not. At this moment, I am estranged from my adult autistic son. We have broke off all communications because I just could not take the obsessive calling, the wanting me to agree with everything he says or he gets angry, and his need to blow through money - especially with what everyone is going through right now.

Yes, right now things are all about me and my feelings/willingness to get along. For all my life, things have been made about everyone else, never me, and I feel it is about time to change that.

New Threads

Top Bottom