• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trying to date friends autistic sister. Maybe.

Dredfy

so, There's this autistic girl, I'm seeing her tomorrow. We've known eachother for about a year. I always looked at her like a little sister...a couple
Weeks ago we were watching tv and she held my hand...over the next couple days she called me sweet, said I looked nice, and we have so much in common she said we might be soulmates...some days she pulls away from me and others she kisses my hand where I recently got a dog bite, holds my hand, and excitedly shows me her favorite things. I met her through her brother and I've tried to not like her because my friend told me "not my sister". But...we are so happy around eachother...nobody has ever understood me like her. Nobody has ever understood her like me. She sits in her room all day and just plays games and watches shows, mostly ignored by her family and doesn't have much interest in hanging out with friends. Like me, she also thinks most people suck. And I think everyone is surprised at how...social she is being with me. (I was diagnosed with autism as well as a kid and have hid that my entire life, because my mom used it as an excuse for treating me like crap, and my dad said "you don't have that, you're not an $&@% retard" so...I always felt it was wrong to have it....and no one knows I was diagnosed. I still am not sure I accept.)anyway, back to my soulmate that nobody wants me to be with. She's invited me into her bedroom, had me smell her favorite perfume while she was wearing it and made a point of telling me she doesn't have a bf and she's 18...I've been at er house 6 of the past 7 days to hang out with her brother and his boyfriend, but...have spent 80% of that time with her. They don't notice because they are..."busy" or playing video games. But they'd kill me if thy found out. And soon they WILL notice. so I've heard autistic ppl have some issues with social cues, and she's a big fan of anime(like me, in which characters that seems to obviously like someone are just being obliviously over-friendly) so...I finally asked her(somewhat awkwardly) if she liked me. She said "maybe, haven't decided yet" poked me on the nose and turned around with a playful grin....her family is protective of what I think they consider a vulnerable adult. They also know me as very sexually active. Which I'm not after from her AT ALL. It'd be months, years even, possibly after marriage...shes the first person I've ever felt like it's disrespectful to her to even consider that. I also think she is...asexual?(the one where you are not interested in it) from conversations we've had way back about her not feeling normal because everyone wanted sex and she didn't. That was when I considered her as a little sister. And I've decided that being with her is more than worth never having sex with anyone ever again. So...what do I do? I already struggle with relationships. How do I not mess up this chance at this most important one ever? I've always looked at dating as the end goal being marriage and push for that ASAP so I don't waste my time. Never works out. After a string of recent bad relationships, I haven't been dating for awhile, haven't found anyone worth it, and now that I have, I want to take things incredibly slow...and always let her make the first move so I don't pressure her. But...what if she is waiting for me to make the first move, while I'm constantly hesitating because society tells me it's wrong, because it's taking advantage? I've been afraid to move closer, afraid to kiss, afraid to do anything and be hated by her family...I keep thinking I don't want her to get in trouble, and I don't want to not be allowed to the house and never be able to see her again even as just a friend...how do I even have a relationship with her? What is allowed? What isn't? What are her legal rights? (I knew a girl once whose parents had guardianship over her so she wasn't legally an adult until she was 21). I guess she is in a class to "learn how to take care of herself" I'm guessing some kind of life skills or something... Can her parents make her NOT date me in the name of her best interests? If she tells me again how her mom is moving but she wants to stay...is it kidnapping or something? As far as I know she is fully and legally an adult...but how do you ask if she's not? Her brother said he doesn't know why his mom won't collect disability for her, because she could...but when I asked the girl herself why she didn't do that so she could move out without a job, she got super offended that I thought she was disabled...I didn't! I thought disability was just a name of a program you could take advantage of when people ACCUSED you of having a disability... But other people in her life say...Idk...how do I get the truth?

Too great a age and maturity difference at your ages, I think. Nothing more to do except disengage as gently as you can.

Too great a age and maturity difference at your ages, I think. Nothing more to do except disengage as gently as you can.

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with Tom on that.
Considering you're 30 and she is 18, that would be considered kinda iffy even if she was extremely mature for her age.
I don't think it's illegal, but I do think you'll have to be careful because people will pick up on it in the wrong way. All they will see is a 30 year old man trying to get together with an 18 year old

Thanks. I know that's what I've been worried people will think...but...I keep searching for a way that doesn't hurt both of us when the only reason for us not being together is "other people
Wouldn't like it". why should we care? We aren't dating THEM...hm...maybe I'm not as mature as people think lol...

But also, there is another girl in the same house(duplex)that I used to date...all 8 of us(people
In the whole house) hang out. The other girl is 19. She broke it off with me partially because of her bipolar borderline personality stuff ...and partially because HER autistic daddy-Dom bf(almost everyone in the house is non-monagamous) wanted her to work on herself and focus on college a bit more...we all get along great...but I guess my point is, they didn't seem to care about age difference then. Or unconventional relationships, OR anything to do with mental
Health. Their landlord is like 45 and is the only one that spends any time with the girl I like. Which he's been doing since she was a minor. But...everyone says they are just friends...so it LOOKS like everything would be ok to every one...I was just worried how everyone would react to her "officially" dating...and what they could do to stop us, if they could try to use her autism as an excuse.

Sorry, I am flipping back and forth a lot between being the guy trying to stay away and keep everyone happy and "do the right thing" even though I don't understand what makes it "right". And being the guy absolutely determined to protect her from everything including any negative fallout from this, and go to the ends of the earth and walk through fire and do whatever it takes at any cost to make her happy. Knowing that I am what makes her happy...I see it and I see others see it in shock to. But...her bro said don't. And her mom has seen us sitting on the couch in the dark watching shows and just...stared for like 5 minutes straight...and then walks away...I don't know what to make of it. I'd fight to my death for her, (if she is willing to try as hard) maybe they are just being "normal" protective family that will accept with time and proof of my intentions...but...is it a futile
struggle? Can they veto our relationship? Are there traits or something I should watch out for? like being suddenly dumped because she got sick of people and wants to be alone, even though I did nothing wrong? (Even though I may do things wrong, I am just a stupid guy after all)

And then I think this is too much of a hassle, it's easier for EVERYONE not to complicate things...and then my heart says "too late buddy, you will regret it for the rest of your life if you don't try. How can you live with yourself, knowing you walked away your happiness? And not just yours, if she has a crappy life without you, who's fault is that? Who would have done everything in their power to prevent that? You could of. how can you justify not? Because you are a coward who was afraid of what other would think?"

I'm going crazy and I can't stop...I try to push her out of my head and move on. I try to forget. I try to change my veiws of her back to just friends...but I can't eat or sleep Or work Or play video games(second favorite thing to do). Nothing holds any interest for me. I canceled all my dates with people and gave up sex(as a sex addict!) with someone last week, just to go watch tv with her and sex never crossed my mind once...I've been non-monogamous for as long as I can remember, but now...she's the only one I ever want, and nobody,out of close to 100 people, has ever made me feel that way...
Even the woman I was with for 7 years and engaged to...

Is it the right thing to do to give up on true love? More relevant a question I guess...is it even POSSIBLE?

She's not experienced or sound mature yet. She hasn't been thru relationships and know 'you are the one' has she?

Plus, you risk causing a very turbulent row in their family and disrupting her safety net and well being.

Is she planning to attend college?

She's just a kid.

It's a catastrophe waiting to happen. Back off and keep your friends rather than risk losing them all forever.

Don't focus on the logic of legal considerations. Instead, consider three words: "Daddy's Little Girl". If you attempt to turn this into a fight, I'm pretty sure you'd lose- badly.

Some things are just not meant to be. I know...I've been in that place too. I'm sorry.

I doubt I will get any more help here since everyone clearly doesn't support this...but...I...did the dumb thing. I went over to hang out with her bro and everything...and I was DETERMINED at the time to tell her I really liked her 'as a friend' and make some stuff up about how my gf didn't like me spending so much time over there or something...and as soon as I saw her, her face lit up, she came to hug me and when I tried to pull back she reached for me saying "but I want to spend time with you!" And I crumbled. I made excuses to get away from everyone and we watched more tv together. I finally stopped fighting. She held my hand for longer than 20 seconds for once, it was like 5 min and she kept squeezing, even pulled my hand into her lap and just held it for awhile...but she'd get really uncomfortable if my arm was even resting against her leg or stomach, and when she didn't have room to pull away, she asked me to move over a bit...why would she keep showing affection but not touch? I mean...she never leaves the house and I'm not sure if she's ever had a bf or been as close to anyone as she is to me. Maybe just the handholding is more than she's ever done with anyone?

So...the biggest gossip in the house stumbled through high on weed...and saw us holding hands...I tried to convince her she was just hallucinating lol, but now...naturally everyone knows. Except her brother cus he wasn't home. As soon as he got home I thought they told him because they saw me and her about to take a walk together( I had just asked her out for food and she said yes:) although earlier that day I had asked her and she said she had food at the house already.../confused)and they told us no, that we really shouldn't and I needed to come inside and talk to them while her bro went with her instead. I argued with them for a good 5-10 minutes saying I was hungry and going to get food, and they were like "NO, you REALLY need to come inside." before I was physically dragged in by one of them(they were laughing the whole time, I thought it was a knowing "that's cute but it needs to stop" laughter) I panicked and thought I would never see her again. I wrote down my number and told her to call me when she got a chance. Turns out they only wanted me in there for a surprise cake for my bday last week. Although the girl who saw us said she didn't want to think
Or talk about it because her sisterly instincts were kicking in to kick my a$$. And the more responsible guy just said to go ahead but gave me a warning to be careful because she is manipulative and if she doesn't get what she wants,
She isn't above claiming horrible things against a person in anger...I don't believe she'd ever do that to me...maybe someone else really did do what she claimed...idk. He also confirmed that she IS asexual.
Anyway...she came home with her brother after about an agonizing hour and a half. And he said "you already know how I feel about it, but... um ...yeah....until I see it, I can't really pass judgement." And I thanked him for that. Shocked that everyone was ok with at least giving us a chance.unable to believe our good fortune...

And now...idk what we are. Neither one of us has used the bf/gf words...I think she wants to, but what if she doesn't want to be trapped by or pressured into labels? (this is an entire house of unconventional relationships, bpd, no, witches, Christians, autism, glbt, bdsm, ptsd, multi-lingual/racial/cultural, and everyone in there is in a non-monogamous/open relationship. What if she never wants a serious steady ONE person, and feels pressured by me asking her out?) We spent all night watching tv and she said she told her bro that she liked me too...then points out all the couples and says how they are cute, and they end up together eventually and she wishes life was like the show...I keep thinking she's hinting at wanting more...but when she says they are cute and I say "like you?" she says "stop it" and raises her hand at me for the universal "stop" symbol. (Maybe this is the confusing 'flirting' thing? But I stop.)She always wants to be around me but sometimes pulls away and keeps her distance. I'm so confused. Why is she really open and needy about some things but completely closed off about others? She holds my hand all night and then says she's going to watch a show in her room now and I should sleep...(at 3:20am) I know she's right, I should. But the one part of me says I'm hurt that she bounds away without so much as a look behind her or a hug or goodnight...and another part of me wonders if she knows that people want that? And maybe her sacrificing what she wants(time with me) so I can sleep is her showing she cares? And she hates people as much as I do. I've learned over the years to tolerate them, but she doesn't even like going outside...is it ok that we don't do activities outside? Should follow my gut and respect her preferences? Or try to gently nudge her into socializing more to enrich life a bit like for dates in public(but it feels wrong because I know she doesn't want to)...this is going to be hard. And last week before I found this site, I read ALOT trying to understand...one article mentioned that...never be too hurt or offended in a relationship with someone on the spectrum...there's a decent chance they didn't even understand that anything was wrong. And I know her, I know her heart. I know she isn't trying to hurt me. I also logically know that the only reason I hurt is because society has determined a specific set of behaviors for dating that are acceptable and show affection and a specific set that are not, and that I am operating under being under those rules for so long...but when you break it down and realize that most of those behaviors are stupid and irrelevant at all to our feelings and that they are just substitutes and REPRESENTATIVE of our feelings, they become meaningless and insignificant behaviors that I shouldn't be hurt for not receiving. I know that. But...it will take some getting used to while I explore this relationship that I have literally NO frame of reference for, as we just follow our own individual feelings. I don't even think there IS a movie I can watch and mimic that covers this one...as every day I am terrified that I will make a terrible mistake and lose her for ever...I may live in constant fear all the time...paralyzing fear that prevents me from saying half of what I want...but I am no coward to run away from this. I will face it and deal with anything for her, no matter how hard it is. I love her. Which I haven't told her yet, and I wonder when to do that too...I don't even understand normal relationships...how do I 'relationship?' Lol...maybe I shouldn't focus so much on what's 'normal?' After all NEITHER of is are normal, and I think part of the reason I like her is BECAUSE she's different from anyone I've ever met. She's exactly like me at her age...before everyone told me I was weird and I needed to learn to grow up and everyone hated me...and I changed and pretended to be like everyone else:( I am myself again with her, something nobody has allowed me to be in years... Why would I want to change her or try to teach her to conform to relationship norms...?

Er....never mind. One of her friends started overprotectively threatening me and said she was going to talk to to her about me later. I panicked thinking she was about to interfere in our business and went over to talk to her first. I finally just asked if she wanted to make it official and she said no. She explained (with some prodding from her friend) that she had always liked me 'as a brother' and that recently had started thinking about more(hence the flirting) but...ultimately decided that we were better keeping things as they were. She just, you know, forgot to mention that to ME lol. So I guess... we have most of the same behaviors and closeness but we both know where they clearly defined line is now and we are happy just being in eachothers presence. And it's better this way probably. We can always be in eachothers lives and love eachother in another way. I can Take care of her and protect her.

New Threads

Top Bottom