• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trying my hand at writing

Misery

Amalga Heart
V.I.P Member
Okay, so what I’m going to show here is an in-progress… thing.

This isn’t a traditional story like you’d see in a book. If you’re familiar with the SCP Foundation, well… that’s what this is, an SCP entry. If you don’t know what that is, well… you might get an idea as you read. I did my best to stick to the usual format used in most SCP entries (though of course this can vary a good bit depending on the writer, but I’m staying traditional with this one).

I’ve been wanting to make one of these for ages as I’m a big fan of SCP stuff. But there’s no way I’m submitting this yet, it ain’t ready. There’s chunks missing (which I’ve noted) and a couple of errors that I’ve noticed.

What I’m looking for here is just thoughts and feedback, even if you have no idea what the Foundation even is. Any feedback whatsoever is helpful.

Well, here we go:

————————————————————————————————————————————

Item #: SCP-5344 (number will get changed later)

Object Class: Euclid
Disruption Class: Keneq
Risk Class: Warning

(And yes, those 3 things all have pre-defined meanings in SCP’s overall lore… don’t worry about them for now).

Special Containment Procedures: Instances of SCP-5344 are to be kept in a sealed opaque case at least one square meter in size. Individual instances of SCP-5344 are not to be allowed to come into contact with each other for any reason. Any researchers involved in experiments with SCP-5344 are to wear goggles at all times.

Instances of SCP-5344 encountered in the field are to be captured immediately if possible. Any citizens who are believed to have encountered an instance of SCP-5344 are to be administered a class-1 amnestic and monitored for a period of one month. Any individuals who have witnessed it and are found to be experiencing unusual pain or a "grinding" sensation are to be immediately taken into custody and placed in seperate opaque holding cells for remote observation.

The area consisting of the city of London is to remain under constant observation.

Description: SCP-5344 are the skeletal remains of an unknown number of individuals found throughout the city of London, England. Radiographic testing has confirmed that all of the bones are human in origin. These skeletal remains usually consist of only rib bones and vertebrae, and are capable of rolling around despite no obvious force causing their movement. Individual bones within a group will always be clustered in an area with a radius of about 1 meter. Research has shown that none of the bones have shown any sign of necrosis, even when left without a body for over 2 weeks. In addition, all attempts at physical contact with the bones have resulted in minor injuries. While it is sometimes possible to forcibly isolate a single bone from the group, this is inadvisable due to [REDACTED] and is not to be attempted without level 4 clearance.

Any persons witnessing an active instance of SCP-5344 will begin to experience hallucinations. These hallucinations will usually take the form of whatever the person fears the most, but will otherwise be harmless. This state will persist and intensify over the course of weeks, with most subjects expiring due to fear-based causes, usually heart failure, or exhaustion. However, these effects of witnessing SCP-5344 will end immediately if memories of it are removed by any means.

However, if the subject survives for a period of longer than 3 weeks, they will begin to complain about unusual pain and a frequent "grinding" sensation. Close examination will reveal what appears to be movement underneath the skin in the area of their ribs and spine, as well as the back of their hands, though X-rays attempted during this time will yield inconclusive results. During this period, amnestics appear to no longer have any effect on the subject.

Upon reaching a period of 4 weeks since exposure to 5344, the subject will experience a drastic and sudden increase in these symptoms over the course of 5 minutes, eventually culminating in the sudden and violent expulsion of all rib bones and vertebrae, which will form a new instance of SCP-5344 and will become fully active immediately. The body of the deceased subject, now being classified as an instance of SCP-5344-A, will appear to revive after a period of one hour. Instances of SCP-5344-A are fully capable of movement despite the lack of a spine and grevious wounds, though they tend to move rather slowly. They are also capable of speech, however the subjects original personality will be entirely gone. (I'll write up a bit more involving those guys a bit later, I'm not entirely sure where I want to go with them)

Note that viewing SCP-5344 through any form of lens completely prevents the anomalous side effects from originally manifesting.

If two or more instances of SCP-5344 should ever come into contact with one another, they will (okay I havent decided what will happen here yet, but it'll be... er... something, that's for sure).

Addendum 5344-1, incident report: The following is an interview with Dr. Sophia Edwards conducted on XX-XX-20XX, following her own interview with a man named Robert Whiteford, who had encountered an instance of SCP-5344 and had reached the final stage of symptoms before expiring during the interview.

Througout the entirity of this interview, Dr. Edwards appeared distracted and seemed to be experiencing some discomfort.

INTERVIEWER: Alright, Dr. Edwards, I'll do my best to make this quick. We believe we have all of the relevant details of the incident with Mr. Whiteford, however as you know our recorded footage of the incident seems to have been corrupted through unknown means, so for our records I'd like you to describe what happened there in your own words.

Dr. Edwards appears to squirm in her seat, and doesnt respond to the interviewer's prompt.

INTERVIEWER: Dr. Edwards? Is something wrong?

DR. EDWARDS: Oh, I'm sorry. Right, I'll tell you what I can. It all happened so fast though... I just...

INTERVIEWER: It's alright. Take your time.

DR. EDWARDS: The interview started out just as expected. We had confirmed prior that Mr. Whiteford had run into 5344, and he mentioned that this had occurred "a couple of weeks ago", as he put it. We didnt know the exact day. We couldnt have known. Not that it would have mattered, we couldnt help him at that point. We just wanted to find out what he was experiencing... I was told that it could help to know more about that. Though I dont see how that would accomplish anything.

INTERVIEWER: And, just to be sure, you were wearing the standard-issue goggles during the interview, correct?

DR. EDWARDS: Oh, yes. We already knew at that point what would happen to him eventually if he lasted long enough... we werent going to take any chances, so everyone nearby was wearing them, just in case. But we didnt expect that he was already so close to the end! We thought he had a few days left!

INTERVIEWER: He reached the culmination of the anomalous condition during the interview, correct?

DR. EDWARDS: Uh...

At this point, Dr. Edwards begins rubbing at her left wrist, and seems to lose focus a second time.

INTERVIEWER: Is something wrong?

DR. EDWARDS: I've just been sore lately, that's all. All the stress, I think. It was just too much. To see what happened to him, I mean... it really rattled me. It was so violent. In the midst of the interview he suddenly just started shrieking, and then he... he just... he burst. They flew out of him so fast. Fortunately I wasnt struck by any of them. It was just so horrible though... I cant imagine what he-

Dr. Edwards appears to freeze for a moment, and looks down at her left hand with a horrified expression. The interviewer follows her gaze.

INTERVIEWER: What?! That cant be, there's no prior-

At this point, the video feed of the interview room cuts out, and screams are heard. A security team outfitted with safety goggles was dispatched immediately, but found the door to be somehow barred, breaking through only after the screams had ceased. Upon entry, the team discovered that Dr. Edwards was already deceased, and a newly formed instance of SCP-5344 was behind her chair. It was captured immediately and transferred to a holding case, and Edwards' body was transferred to [REDACTED].

The interviewer requested to have himself be immediately quarantined despite having been wearing glasses the entire time, putting forth the theory that the rules of the anomalous effect may be different if encountered during what he called the "bursting", noting that Dr. Edwards had been affected at the end of her interview with Whiteford despite wearing goggles, and had progressed to the final phase over the course of only 3 days. He was placed in a holding cell as per his recommendation and observation has begun.

As these unexpected occurrances seem to suggest that 5344 may be more dangerous and unpredictable than we had previously believed, a suggestion for heightened surveillance of the city of London has been proposed to the O5 council and is awaiting their decision.

—————————————————————————

And that’s it for now. There’s more to be added and stuff to be tweaked… definitely unfinished. But this isn’t exactly meant to be a book, SCP entries usually aren’t particularly long, making for a fast read. The trick of course is making them not suck.

And I’ve never tried doing something like this before… writing, I mean… so this is new to me.

Note that this is actually a couple of months old… I got it to this point and set it aside for awhile until I could decide whether to make it into a serious attempt or not. Well, I think I’m gonna go for it, thus this topic…

I think this is great. I'm a writer myself, and I've always wanted to do something like this where the narrator is writing a formal report, but I don't have enough experience with that type of writing. I think you nailed it. It was formal but interesting.

I think this is great. I'm a writer myself, and I've always wanted to do something like this where the narrator is writing a formal report, but I don't have enough experience with that type of writing. I think you nailed it. It was formal but interesting.

If you liked that at all, go have a look at the SCP Foundation website itself. It’s all about that very sort of thing (often with short stories to accompany the articles, for the more detailed SCPs).

There’s a ton of super creative stuff in there done in this style. Most will be a good bit better than mine, that’s for sure.

Just be warned that there’s a definite horror vibe to most of it, so it can get a bit gruesome every now and then. Though at the same time you get the occasional friendly or hilarious one, they aren’t all brain-melting eldritch abominations. Overall there’s a whole lot to explore and there’s even games and entire YouTube channels dedicated towards this stuff.

I looked up the SCP Foundation. Some of that stuff is insane. There's a person who wrote the rules to a whole language. I still think yours is really well-done. I hope you keep posting more.

New Threads

Top Bottom