• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tradespeople?

The fact that you are at least able to do what you do is nothing to shake a stick it.

Thats true, and I'm not doing the same thing all the time, though that means I've never quite mastered any one thing. Most of the people I work with are oddballs, or at least value diversity.

I develop and prototype interactive museum exhibits, which uses all of the knowledge, skills and talents I've managed to accumulate through my interests. Science, art, woodworking, metalworking, machining, design, electronic controls.

It has been a round-about career, and not very rewarding financially, but I've done my best given my limitations.

I am sure you have heard the question " What would you rather go to, a party or a museum?". Well, I would take the museum even if I liked parties. In fact I love museums. When I am on the road, I stop in towns and go find their museum. I have seen some very, very interesting small town museums. When I was a small child, I went to the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago. I can still remember that and I want to go back there someday. I love what I do for a living, but I think that I would love having your job just as much.

I am sure you have heard the question " What would you rather go to, a party or a museum?". Well, I would take the museum even if I liked parties. In fact I love museums. When I am on the road, I stop in towns and go find their museum. I have seen some very, very interesting small town museums. When I was a small child, I went to the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago. I can still remember that and I want to go back there someday. I love what I do for a living, but I think that I would love having your job just as much.
Museum in a heart beat! I love getting lost in child-like wonderment.

Off-topic comment but I wanted to say it somewhere, I've been studying people and trying very hard to be one for many years. I have come to realize I really do not like people. There are a few (very limited number) of individuals I can tolerate on a regular basis but in general I dislike everyone... even myself when I act too much like other people.

Thanks for your honesty, Hidden_1. And for choosing to share that here. S'pose a lot of us feel the same. Though, my self loathing may be a bit stronger.

Fiber and resin guy here. Polyesters, epoxies, carbon, fiberglass and kevlar. My friends and I started mucking around making our own surfboards in high school, and it turned into an accidental career. I work on boats now, but mostly the same thing on a larger, more complicated scale.
That's pretty cool. Accidental career. Do you still enjoy it?

Off-topic comment but I wanted to say it somewhere, I've been studying people and trying very hard to be one for many years. I have come to realize I really do not like people. There are a few (very limited number) of individuals I can tolerate on a regular basis but in general I dislike everyone... even myself when I act too much like other people.

It took a lot of courage for you to share. I can very much relate and what you are feeling is neither good nor bad, it is simply what you're feeling. I used to be self-loathing but now I simply accept who I am. I hope that one day you will accept yourself.

I tend to be somewhat misanthropic myself, especially due to the bullying I experienced as a teen. I don't mind people as individuals, but the herd mentality of groups makes no sense and is a source of constant irritation. I also find vapid, hollow conversations to be irritating - I don't like my time wasted with that nonsense. If you want to talk to me, you had better be prepared to take a deep dive. [emoji4]

I am something of a lone wolf and am happiest with minimal socialization. No shame there. We march to the beat of our own drums and it is incredibly refreshing.

Hi my name is Aaron. I have Aspergers and ADHD and l work in HVAC and Refridgration anyone can achieve anything if they put the time and effort and determination in place

Hi and welcome Aaron. I would say that with some determination achievement is possible. I stress the importance of people on the spectrum trying to do something that they both enjoy and have an aptitude for.

Hi all. Just wondering if any of you are tradies? If so, what trade? How do you find it?

I am doing an apprenticeship in heavy vehicle diesel; basically, a truck mechanic. I find I learn differently, much more academic. Once I know what I'm doing, I'm all over the job.

Nice to be here. Self diagnosed and in a few months, I'll be seeing someone for an official diagnosis.
One of the main requirements for a diesel mechanic is the ability to read and follow very specific directions for performing various troubleshooting and maintenance tasks. Many of us excel at this because the tedious attention to details and our ability to observe patterns of mechanical malfunctions come naturally to us. It is not unusual for us to be able to remember a large sequence of steps and perform them flawlessly after we have done them the first time. This was my experience in computer maintenance field. This ability to be a "quick study" may be what you mean by "learning differently" If so, you need to make your apprenticeship trainers and future employers aware of this ability as soon as you start. Don't let yourself be typecast as a "disabled worker" That will do you more harm than good since you will never be given the chance to excel. I would also be cautious about getting "an official diagnosis" Labels and guns can be lethal in the wrong hands.

Last edited:
Most definitely! I dislike people who judge others by their occupation. Wisdom can be found from anyone, anywhere, and anytime regardless of their social or professional status.
In the USA most people who meet you for the first time will ask "What do you do" because we have defined success as having a great job and lots of money. In Europe most people who meet you for the first time will ask "Where did you grow up and how many siblings, children, grandchildren etc do you have. They generally measure success in terms of family life and values. They also consider it rude to ask what you do for a living if you do not provide that info up front.

Machinist,vehicle repair technician,autobody,sandblasting,welding and electrical work would fill out my work on the trades. Lots of that was during the course of self-employment with parts of it working for others.
I was also involved in management position all along the way from the high tech sector to designing and building machinery or items for others. It is really cool to see something I was involved in on a retail shelf,used in the music industry or in an industrial setting. Most of the time after you make something,you never see it again.

It would be safe to say that something I either designed or manufactured has touched every living person on our planet.
Machinist,vehicle repair technician,autobody,sandblasting,welding and electrical work would fill out my work on the trades. Lots of that was during the course of self-employment with parts of it working for others.
I was also involved in management position all along the way from the high tech sector to designing and building machinery or items for others. It is really cool to see something I was involved in on a retail shelf,used in the music industry or in an industrial setting. Most of the time after you make something,you never see it again.

It would be safe to say that something I either designed or manufactured has touched every living person on our planet.
Regarding your tagline, "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Without the knowledge to turn our imagined world into reality, the technologies imagined in Science Fiction would have remained Fiction. Without imagination, knowledge would have remained dormant on the bookshelves of our libraries.
But to understand what Einstein meant by this you have to read the entire quote: "
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

In the USA most people who meet you for the first time will ask "What do you do" because we have defined success as having a great job and lots of money. In Europe most people who meet you for the first time will ask "Where did you grow up and how many siblings, children, grandchildren etc do you have. They generally measure success in terms of family life and values. They also consider it rude to ask what you do for a living if you do not provide that info up front.
I live in the USA and I never start a convo with occupation. I always ask about a person's interests and where they are from. You are quite correct in your observation. Success in the US is seen as having a high paying, fancy-shmancy career.

I live in the USA and I never start a convo with occupation. I always ask about a person's interests and where they are from. You are quite correct in your observation. Success in the US is seen as having a high paying, fancy-shmancy career.

Exactly 100% correct.

One of the main requirements for a diesel mechanic is the ability to read and follow very specific directions for performing various troubleshooting and maintenance tasks. Many of us excel at this because the tedious attention to details and our ability to observe patterns of mechanical malfunctions come naturally to us. It is not unusual for us to be able to remember a large sequence of steps and perform them flawlessly after we have done them the first time. This was my experience in computer maintenance field. This ability to be a "quick study" may be what you mean by "learning differently" If so, you need to make your apprenticeship trainers and future employers aware of this ability as soon as you start. Don't let yourself be typecast as a "disabled worker" That will do you more harm than good since you will never be given the chance to excel. I would also be cautious about getting "an official diagnosis" Labels and guns can be lethal in the wrong hands.
I'm almost 18mths into it. They are well aware I get the job done, but I follow my own path to the proverbial Rome.

In terms of learning, I can't just do a job without knowing how it all works, and whether I'll have surprises, such as a high PSI gust of air hit me as I open a line, or a key on a cross shaft on a gearbox. Others can just follow orders and replace parts. That does not work for me.

I'm almost 18mths into it. They are well aware I get the job done, but I follow my own path to the proverbial Rome.

In terms of learning, I can't just do a job without knowing how it all works, and whether I'll have surprises, such as a high PSI gust of air hit me as I open a line, or a key on a cross shaft on a gearbox. Others can just follow orders and replace parts. That does not work for me.

That is true, throwing parts at a problem is a very expensive way to fix it. You need to know what is happening in there before you start.

That is true, throwing parts at a problem is a very expensive way to fix it. You need to know what is happening in there before you start.
Not only is that a very expensive way of solving a problem, but often it does very little to prevent the same problem from happening again.

Regarding your tagline, "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Without the knowledge to turn our imagined world into reality, the technologies imagined in Science Fiction would have remained Fiction. Without imagination, knowledge would have remained dormant on the bookshelves of our libraries.
But to understand what Einstein meant by this you have to read the entire quote: "
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
Mankind used to preserve naturally occurring fire because of the knowledge that it could keep him warm and cook his food was valuable to him. Imagination kicked in and someone decided to produce it himself and avoid preserving what occurred naturally...

Thanks for sharing this. We Aspies are a very diverse group of people and should be respected on our own terms--not those of professional label makers. Aspiecentral is the one place I feel safe sharing my innermost thoughts because I know I will not be ridiculed or shunned. It has taken me most of my life to overcome the damage ignorant people have inflicted on my self-esteem because I had to go it alone. Thanks to Autism Awareness advocates young people are getting more help. But I think we still need to be cautious about the kinds of help we accept. Labels are like guns. Both can be lethal in the wrong hands. BTW-if you are willing to share, I would like to understand what you mean by disliking "myself when I act too much like other people." Could you give some examples?

New Threads

Top Bottom