• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Toe walking: is it really that bad of a thing? And is it really just an autism thing?

Khendra

V.I.P Member
In my diagnosis, my evaluator noted that I walked a lot on my tiptoes, even in heels. I toe-walk, or tip-toe, all the time. It's very comfy. I have high arches, so it's easy. It's a relaxing way to walk.

Well, naturally, I get curious and look up this thing -- and among various wild speculations by clinicians who would rather come up with their own theories instead of ask us -- it's considered part of a weak vestibular system, or dyspraxia, or other "bad" thing.

It's funny because Jon Niednagel, the guy who is trying to find neuroscientific evidence for his "Brain Type" observations, says that ENFP and INFP types are prone to toe-walking (and neither of these types are among the more typical self-reported Myers-Briggs types for autism or Aspergers, who usually test as introverts or thinkers, especially INTJ, INTP, and ENTP, types that Niednagel says are naturally weaker in gross motor body balance).

I dunno what to make of all this. People will have what theories and observations they will. All I know is I do lots of toe walking, and I like it. That's why I do it. Putting pressure on the lower parts of the feet isn't needed if one is just sauntering around in the kitchen or whatever. Better and more fun to just toe walk.

I used to toe walk everywhere. I even stood on my toes. Now my big toe joint hurts too much. If I move a certain way, it audibly snaps.

I'm also extremely "pigeon toed."

I don't see how there could be a substantial link between toe walking and ASDs, specifically. Toe walking is common with cerebral palsy, and it's also seen in non-autistic children.

Or maybe proprioception, sensory issues, or muscular issues are involved.

I toe walk all the time. Yes, I think it's an autistic thing. In my mind, it's just a more logical way to walk. It takes less muscles and it's easy. I think the logic of it is what autistics like.
No, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I don't see the big deal.

it's considered part of a weak vestibular system, or dyspraxia,

Funnily enough, my best friend is HFA and also has dyspraxia. She doesn't toe walk at all. I only walk on my toes going up stairs, which I've always done. I don't know if I have ever toe walked in my life (can't remember) and maybe I was taught not to. I do walk very much more so on the outsides of my feet though, as shown by how my shoes always wear down on the outside edge, and barely change on the inside.

I toe walk some. Up stairs almost always. Not for long walks, but going from room to room in a house I often do, I've always considered it to be more quiet and graceful... it bothers me when people stomp around the house throwing all their weight carelessly through their heels almost as if they didn't have the front part of their feet or don't know what they're for.

This increased when I had joint problems (still do, but am much better than I was) and even very light impacts would send painful and damaging shock waves through my legs, hurting at some times my ankles, knees, hips and even lower back. Others would accuse me of creeping around in stealth mode and I'd surprise them frequently... I do value grace, but was really just trying to not hurt myself.

In situations where footing is a bit unsure or sure footing is limited (rocky or otherwise obstructed paths, hillsides etc) and I'm picking stepping places more carefully than normally I will tend to use only the very front of my feet.

i dont really toe walk,i will do it at least once or twice a day for shortish times and i dont realise im doing it until im pulled out of my thinking but nothing beyond that.

it bothers me when people stomp around the house throwing all their weight carelessly through their heels almost as if they didn't have the front part of their feet or don't know what they're for.

Oh my god, yes. Our next door neighbours are terrible for stomping around there house (tbh they're terrible for noise in general) but especially up and down the stairs. The woman isn't much taller than me (5'2") and slim...so I don't understand how she can physically make so much noise using the stairs. It sounds like a herd of elephants.

In my diagnosis, my evaluator noted that I walked a lot on my tiptoes, even in heels. I toe-walk, or tip-toe, all the time. It's very comfy. I have high arches, so it's easy. It's a relaxing way to walk.

Well, naturally, I get curious and look up this thing -- and among various wild speculations by clinicians who would rather come up with their own theories instead of ask us -- it's considered part of a weak vestibular system, or dyspraxia, or other "bad" thing.

It's funny because Jon Niednagel, the guy who is trying to find neuroscientific evidence for his "Brain Type" observations, says that ENFP and INFP types are prone to toe-walking (and neither of these types are among the more typical self-reported Myers-Briggs types for autism or Aspergers, who usually test as introverts or thinkers, especially INTJ, INTP, and ENTP, types that Niednagel says are naturally weaker in gross motor body balance).

I dunno what to make of all this. People will have what theories and observations they will. All I know is I do lots of toe walking, and I like it. That's why I do it. Putting pressure on the lower parts of the feet isn't needed if one is just sauntering around in the kitchen or whatever. Better and more fun to just toe walk.

I think William of Occam would have your back on this one;)
2 thoughts:
I actually just made this insight this morning! I learned of my SDP issues only 2 weeks ago. This morning I was making my coffee in the kitchen, and I realized that I was standing on the outsides of my feet. I realized that I have done it alot during my life--but never in my comfy flip-flops(this AM, I was wearing old, thinned out socks). I'm guessing that it has to do with me being overly sensitive to the tactile sensation of the cold kitchen floor in the morning. Possible SPD issue that I was unconsciously coping for?
I've always walked softly. But I used to heel-strike when I ran. I started barefoot-style running about a year ago(in very thin, zero-rise barefoot running shoes). Research shows that heel-striking increases the amount of force onto your skeletal system more than 2.5 times vs landing on your forefoot or toes. Now, if I heel strike when I run, it is an even more jarring experience than before I began barefoot-style running(I feel the extra pounding all the way up to my head).

Maybe you ARE just adapting in a very positive way!!

I would of guessed walking on your toes/balls of your feet would tone your legs/ankles as you're engaging more muscles for movement and balance... many animals walk on their toes, yeah they're four legged but I can't see how it wouldn't be a natural stance, since we've just evolved from that.

I do it often, always have.

if am barefoot i toe walk if i have boots on there stiffness keeps me from toe walking without realizing it.

Interesting. I've heard about the supposed connection between toe walking and autism. I don't think I've ever done it. I notice you say you have high arches - well my feet are flat as pancakes, and I never could wear high heels. I also had really bad ligament laxity when I was younger - like really bad - and would stand with my knee joints bending backwards, because they naturally bent that way at rest rather than vertical. (Got told of for that Corrinne) I have heard that we are more prone to connective tissue issues lik Marfans and EhrlersDanlos, so might it be that some of our ligaments are too tight, and others too loose? And that you and I , Khendra, are at opposite ends of ligament spectrum?:D

I can't walk on my toes at all does to my slightly deformed ankles however my NT sister toe walked for years.

Interesting. I've heard about the supposed connection between toe walking and autism. I don't think I've ever done it. I notice you say you have high arches - well my feet are flat as pancakes, and I never could wear high heels. I also had really bad ligament laxity when I was younger - like really bad - and would stand with my knee joints bending backwards, because they naturally bent that way at rest rather than vertical. (Got told of for that Corrinne) I have heard that we are more prone to connective tissue issues lik Marfans and EhrlersDanlos, so might it be that some of our ligaments are too tight, and others too loose? And that you and I , Khendra, are at opposite ends of ligament spectrum?:D

My feet are pretty flat too. Like I said, I only really do it walking up stairs. My best friend is HFA and has EhrlersDanlos as well as PoTS (Postural Tachycardia Syndrome). Her two sisters are NT and one definitely has Ehrlers, not sure about the other one.

Toe walking is bad thing for me, because it makes my muscles tighter than they should be, which causes problems.

From what I know, it's the normal way the native americans walked back in the day, better for stealth and balance or so I hear...

So I.....maybe toe walk? It's like my feet seem to land flat rather than heel first, but really I'm landing on the balls of my feet, it's a quick transition to the whole foot. I started doing this for a really random reason. When I was a kid, I read in some fictional book that American Indians walked this way so as not to make noise. No idea if that is really true. It seems others have hear this though, based on the previous response. Anyway, that idea intrigued me, so I tried it....then I kept doing it without even meaning to, it has just been my habit. So I'm often unintentionally startling people because they never hear me coming, lol!

Never walked on my toes as a child or toddler. Though I suppose I made up for it by not speaking in sentences until I was into my fourth year. Never recalled it until my mother casually mentioned it to me in one of her "trips down memory lane" in a dinner conversation when I was 50 years old.

New Threads

Top Bottom