• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Today I registered for Security Guard Training

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
Since I will need work soon, I signed up for a Security Guard Training class from November 12-14. I moved to a state that actually has licensing requirements so I had to sign up for a 3 day class (it was a reasonable 189.00) and I will have to pass a test in order to get licensed. Once I get the basic license which is unarmed, I can then upgrade to the armed license. The money is pretty good in my area at around 19.00 per hour for armed work which will help a lot. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice so that should help out a lot.

The goal is to get some money coming in the door and then hopefully qualify for some Federal Workforce Investment Act funds to update my IT certifications. At my age I think it might be a little bit of a pipe dream to get back into IT, but the training is free and I did spend most of my adult life (up until 4 years ago) in technology. The best I can do is shoot for the stars and hope to get beyond the moon. Yesterday, I got hooked up with my state's Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR). I am not optimistic that they will be able to do much but I have a little hope that something good will come of it. It helps that my new state is Democratic (liberal/progressive) so perhaps this program will be better than the old one I was in.

I had a long and somewhat frustrating day but some things did get accomplished. I needed to make the journey out of state to get a copy of my Autism diagnosis to provide to DVR and I had to take the train because I hate driving in the city. It was tough finding the office of the doctor that did my diagnosis because he changed locations and nobody really knew where to go so I ended up going to 5 different locations before finally locating the doctor. This exhausted me so I fell asleep on the train going home and missed my stop. More money spent to get back to where I needed to be. Oh well, these kinds of days happen. May tomorrow be better.

You gotta pass the second test before you can do this, right?

Hope tomorrow goes better and everything sounds great and hope it all works out for you.
Thank you @Pats. Yes, there will be a second test for the armed security portion. I've always been pretty good at academics so I think getting licensed won't be terribly difficult. If I could find an armed security job where I can work mostly alone, I think I'll be mostly okay.

Thank you @Pats. Yes, there will be a second test for the armed security portion. I've always been pretty good at academics so I think getting licensed won't be terribly difficult. If I could find an armed security job where I can work mostly alone, I think I'll be mostly okay.
I actually was trying to be funny an associating shooting for the stars with shooting testing. :)

Good luck to you Matt. Glad to see you getting back on your horse and riding back in to town :)
You're far from too old to get back into IT. I'm older than you and if I find myself out of work ever again I'd look in the same direction.
Hope you get some security work soon so you can get on with the IT training. Kudos!

Good luck to you Matt. Glad to see you getting back on your horse and riding back in to town :)
You're far from too old to get back into IT. I'm older than you and if I find myself out of work ever again I'd look in the same direction.
Hope you get some security work soon so you can get on with the IT training. Kudos!
Thank you! That's really encouraging. I think I will pursue the IT goal. But this time, I am going networking instead of systems administration. I think I'm weary of server stuff.

New Threads

Top Bottom