• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Today I get a diagnosis...

About two years ago I was told from my daughters school counselor that she might have some sort of mental disability like autism...and I should think about getting her tested. Well it's been a VERY long wait but she was finally assessed in February and March and today I will finally be getting a diagnosis for my daughter.

I don't feel like it is going to be an accurate diagnosis first of all. The doctor is kind of a jerk and I really didn't like him. He looked at me like I was crazy when I told him some information that might help him in making a diagnosis with my daughter and a couple things she does. But anyways...I'm excited nervous and all around just fine with today. It's not like I'm going to get a magical cure. my daughter is perfect in her own way and all I am doing this for is to help the school help her. And so I can get more educated in helping her. Any advice for questions I might ask or things I should discuss with the doctor today?

No advice with that doctor, but If you feel the diagnosis is incorrect, then nothing says you have to accept it or, that you can't get a second opinion, if it's important to you.

Nothing says you have to have a diagnosis at all but, there may be more help available for your daughter if you have one. If you believe she is on the spectrum, you can learn about it, with her and work together to find working solutions to her challenges without a doctor.

Strong mentors make special people,no matter what the outcome of her diagnosis ;)
Seek another opinion if you uncomfortable with her pro,any child needs to have their needs addressed properly.
Thank you for joining here for advice and information,I am sure you will find us friendly and helpful :)

@Kristy, hi. :) I was diagnosed earlier this year. My advice is simply to make a list with your questions, even if the doc isn't what you'd hoped for. Make yourself ask all of them. :)
Best to you, from a mom (me) of 2.

Okay so her diagnosis is...ASD, ADHD and possible depression. He gave us his recommendations and I look forward to learning how to talk to my daughter and learn what traits are autistic and which are not, and how to corrective lay respond to them to help her. It's going to be a long process, but at least we are finally on our way.

It is a long road but, the longest journeys contain the most rewards. Knowing is the first step to understanding for both of you.

Being on the spectrum is in no way a sentence to failure, quite the opposite actually. We have an ability to focus and dedicate ourselves to a goal unlike any others and, if we get ourselves aimed in the right direction, there are no limits to how far that focus and dedication can take us.

We are different, not deficient and that is the important thing to remember.

You've said the only thing that matters: "my daughter is perfect in her own way."

I have the same package your daughter has, and I'm self-supporting, married with a family, and have a strong career in three different lines of work. There are challenges, and some will require things of you and some of her--and you know, that's what life is all about.

New Threads

Top Bottom