• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Timekeeping and Being Late

Droopy

Founder & Former Admin
V.I.P Member
What are you like with timekeeping and how do you feel when you are late, or know that you will be late?

Is it common among those with Aspergers/Autism to hate being late and get anxious?

I hate being late. I always make extra time to prepare for something. Being late makes me very anxious and uncomfortable. I usually leave 20-30mins early for any event that I am going to; class, doctors, etc.

Being late is definitely something that makes me anxious. I usually arrive at places way early and have to sit around a long time, but I much prefer that to knowing I'm going to arrive late.

I really dislike being late. I usually arrive early, or at the latest on time for things one is not supposed to arrive early to.

It confuses me when people show up late for things like parties. I hold a birthday "party" (in the tamest sense, with dinner and chatting ending at or before 10:00 PM) every year. I invite just a few guests. Usually most people show up at least a little bit late. Why do they do this? I say the party starts at 5:00 or whatever. I am quite tense in anticipation for at least an hour before the party starts because people are going to show up. I will mostly calm down when they arrive! But they show up late, thus prolonging my discomfort.

I am often teased about being early...like most of the above posters I usually arrive way too early and have to wait. I prefer being early because if something goes wrong, like a traffic issue or not knowing exactly where to meet, then I have plenty of time to figure things out before hand and never feel stressed. I also dislike the feeling of being late and having everyone waiting on me, then you get bombarded with the "what happened?" and having to explain yourself. I find there is less discussion required when you are early.

I hate being late any where,and also make a habit of it by showing up early, and I also considre the variables like traffic,and the possibilities of 'accidents' and road construction and the like. In relying on my own transportation,I am never late any wheres,but if I have to rely on someone for long distance travel I get very irritated if the person 'leaves at the last minuit'.

I have no sense of time, I'm always either late, or else I am way too early. Either way it makes me axioms. I can't tell the difference between 5 minutes and 50 minutes.

I used to do the very same thing when I was younger living in what I like to call 'wolf time' and still do when I have no where that I am supposed to be. Elsewise, I carry a pocket watch so that I can check the time so as not to be late,as I tend to become as agitated as a hornet,if I think I am going to be even a minute late. When I have to keep track of time,I like effeciency but when I am on break [from College] I do not care to keep track of time,as it spoils my relaxation.

I am always, always on time for everything. I hate being late. I will go out of my way to make sure that I am not late to avoid the panic that sets in if I might even possibly be late. Friends that want to hang out with me know better than to ask me to hang out on days when I have to work for this very reason. I just can't do both. If I do have to for some reason the person who is driving me is usually very aware of my agitation about being late and that I often check my watch to ensure timeliness.

In general I have a good sense of time. I rarely watch the clocks and are about 5 minutes off in guessing the time at any time of day.

Watching clocks in general stresses me out. I don't want to see the time all day. It makes me kinda neurotic to where I look at it probably a few times a minute and is way to distracting. And I totally hate analogue clocks for the ticking noise.

I rarely show up late anywhere, I'm usually way early and I can't stand it if people show up for stupid reasons (or no reason at all). A stupid reason would be leaving way late, as in; leaving at 8 if you're supposed to meet me at 7. I'm ok if people let me know they're late due to a train or bus breaking down, but that's pretty much it. Leave me out of your hectic life if you cannot manage to leave home and be on time cause of personal reasons. Usually if I go somewhere I kinda plan ahead to see what time I'm there and such, just to not waste my time waiting for longer periods.

I hate being late! It's the one of the things that bothers me. When I got to work, I'm usually 45 minutes early because I take the public transit bus.

I run a carpet cleaning business and one thing my customers love is that I am always on time. I always allow plenty of time in my schedule for each job. It stresses me out too much to have to try to beat the clock all day. I would rather do less jobs and work at a slower pace than in high anxiety mode all day.

Yep, im always somewhere, ahead of time. People know if I say im gunna be somewhere at a certain time, ill be there. Punctuality tells someone that their time is important, and being an Aspie, ill take all the browning points I can get.
Wasnt always like that tho. Remember turning up to a party a day late, with the wife in tow. It was like 20 years ago, but she still keeps dragging it up

I despise being considerably early and late. I need to arrive exactly on time! Even that will not guarantee that my mind will be at ease though. More often then not I second guess myself regarding the time and location of different events, I usually just stay home to avoid that stress and anxiety.

I've been chronically late my whole life. Late for school, late for work, late for everything. Finally, at nearly 49 years of age, I am getting to be reasonable at getting places on time. Executive dysfunction doesn't help.

I always try to be early for appointments or catching a train, I would rather run about and be a few minutes early than a half minute late. I get irritable and anxious if things or people don't arrive on time.

I'm always late to work ... It never got me in trouble since my schedule is very flexible. But I really want to get in earlier, but I always failed.

When I go to a new place, I get extremely anxious and I google map it several times to make sure i know where I'm going. Then I get there stupidly in advance cause I always have difficulties to find the place. Even if I read on the the door that its the right place, I'll be scared to go in in case its the wrong place.

Then when I'm expecting someone at my place, its horrible ... I just pace around until they arrive .. i look a million times by the window to see if anybody is there ... and when they are late even by few minutes, I'm starting to get angry and think they don't care about me.

Then they arrive and I forget everything. ;)

I'm always late to work ... It never got me in trouble since my schedule is very flexible. But I really want to get in earlier, but I always failed.

When I go to a new place, I get extremely anxious and I google map it several times to make sure i know where I'm going. Then I get there stupidly in advance cause I always have difficulties to find the place. Even if I read on the the door that its the right place, I'll be scared to go in in case its the wrong place.

Then when I'm expecting someone at my place, its horrible ... I just pace around until they arrive .. i look a million times by the window to see if anybody is there ... and when they are late even by few minutes, I'm starting to get angry and think they don't care about me.

Then they arrive and I forget everything. ;)

Hahah yeah all that sounds ritualistic from my point as well. I take it one step further with Google maps, in that ill be taking it down to street view, looking for a pic of the front of the building. Just to be sure.
The standing in the front window takes up a bit of my time as well. I get quite frustrated when my Jedi mind powers arnt willing my visitors, into my driveway.
Standing next to the front door is another, were gunna be late anxiety. The wife hates this one cos she says when I stand there, that I trying to rush her. I stay seated more of the time now, but my mind is screaming at me to get up

I despise being considerably early and late. I need to arrive exactly on time! Even that will not guarantee that my mind will be at ease though. More often then not I second guess myself regarding the time and location of different events, I usually just stay home to avoid that stress and anxiety.

Same way, I prefer to be as on time as possible. More than anything I don't so much want a time but a WINDOW. Nothing is perfect, everything has a tolerance, so would you rather have me there a bit sooner or a bit after? Tell me what is acceptable. (Like I've been told being early for a date makes you look needy, or for a surprise party it ruins the surprise, etc.) I prefer a window for paying bills and other things too.

I've always been really good about getting somewhere about exactly when I say, unless I hit a storm or whatever. I used to predict a 100 mile drive within 1 minute and without watching the clock.

I hate being late as well. Sometimes to the point I feel almost sick if I'm going to be late for something. If I'm late I'd rather not show up than enter late. And I dislike others being late but I can stand it mostly.

New Threads

Top Bottom