• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Timekeeping and Being Late

am unable to tell the time so luckily dont get obsessive/rigid thinking over it.
however,am unable to cope with waiting,it all causes extreme anxiety which triggers severe challenging behavior such as acute self injury,hitting or throwing anything around self the longer the wait goes on and am given a dose of PRN haliperidol when this happens,we plan things around to try and avoid waiting.

I dislike being late and I am almost never late. Timekeeping in general is an issue with me. I need to know what time it is. It does not matter when or where, I just need to know what time it is. I always wear a watch, except when I sleep. I have a lit up clock on my night stand. It has large numbers so that I can read it with out glasses. When I check the time, it's almost always about what I expected. The only way I'm ever late for anything, is if I forgot about it. But that is another issue altogether.

I hate obligations, so when I have to be somewhere at a certain time I dislike that. This often contributes to me being late, lol.

Quick question- So for people who have trouble getting into work on time-say because they hate work...whats the best remedy for getting timekeeping up to scratch? -thanks- danny

Quick question- So for people who have trouble getting into work on time-say because they hate work...whats the best remedy for getting timekeeping up to scratch? -thanks- danny

Any chance that you could get something flexible? My workplace doesn't really have "on time", you just show up and then leave eight hours later.

I am very seldom late because it really bothers me. However, being forced to wait for some one who is late, or waiting for a service person to show up at my house is exceedingly painful. Also, I can't tolerate being without my car being constantly available. If it is in the shop I am so uncomfortable I drive myself nuts, even though I may have no place I need to be.

I hate being late... I will plan way too much time to get somewhere so I can literally sit round the corner until it's the right time! It's particularly stressful now I have my own family as I will be stood by the door stressing about them not being ready to go when I am. My parents are often late which I can't stand. I will have myself ready for the time they said and they won't arrive.. My in laws are the same.. worse even. They won't even tell me a proper time. Just 'afternoon' or after dinner or something. Ouch that's awful as I'll be ready for the earliest possible time.... and pretty much just be watching out until they arrive. Which could be 2 hours later. ! I'm sure most people wouldn't do this!

Any chance that you could get something flexible? My workplace doesn't really have "on time", you just show up and then leave eight hours later.
Whats the type of place you work at-yoy dont have to name the actual company if you dont want [emoji16]

Is it common among those with Aspergers/Autism to hate being late and get anxious?

I am never late. I am always early.

In Lebanon a colleague once invited me to her home for a dinner party. She gave me her address and told me that the party would start at 7 PM. I arrived at 6:45 PM and stood outside her door for 15 minutes. At precisely 7 PM, I knocked on the door.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"You said to be here at 7 PM." I pointed at my watch. "It's 7 PM." A Canadian colleague joined us as we stood at the front door.

She rolled her eyes and invited us in. None of the Lebanese guests arrived until 8 PM. The dinner party did not begin until 8:30 PM.

Punctuality is apparently not a cultural norm in Lebanon.

Another cultural misunderstanding occurred at dinner. When dinner was served there were lots of small dishes ... fried fish ... hummus with pita bread ... bowls of fresh olives ... fatayar (an Arab "hot pocket" meat pie ... sort of like a Cornish pastie) ... pickled vegetables (which were salty, not sweet) ... falafel (chickpea paste that's formed into balls and deep fried) ... sambusas (think deep fried won-ton stuffed with ground lamb and mint) ... and kibee (Arab steak tartare ... raw ground beef seasoned with salt and lemon juice).

lebanese-meze.jpg

The Lebanese ate lightly but the Canadian and I dug in with gusto only to find that the meal in question wasn't the entire meal. It was a meze ... basically an appetizer course. The main entree came afterwards and by then the two of us were replete. So as not to offend our hostess, we forced ourselves to eat grilled garlic chicken, kafta (ground beef mixed with herbs, spices, and chopped onions. The meat is formed into a long sausage like link around a skewer and grilled). There were also grilled vegetables and mujaddara (steamed white rice mixed with boiled lentils, garlic, olive oil, and caramelized onions). For dessert, there was baklava that was served with coffee in the Arab fashion, brewed with ground cinnamon and cloves.

No culinary themed torture was ever more exquisite. (Rueful smile)

Last edited:
I'm a private tutor and punctuality is very important in my job. I simply can't be late, because the student is paying for the time he or she has with me. It really stresses me out if I'm late for any reason.

I feel extreme anxiety when I am late and hate when others are late as well! I almost have an internal clock and just know what time it is.

New Threads

Top Bottom