• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Time travel

I often daydream about this and it basically has formed two types.

1. Go back to observe/record some historic event. Without interferring. Being a studier of military history it is usually some battle we have little or no record of or something much debated. The hard part being how to do it without getting killed myself. ;)

2. Go back to prevent some misfortune to someone that is calculated not to change subsequent timeline in detrimental fashion. Usually single individuals (ie. preventing a accident/murder or trying to intervene with someone to prevent a suicide.

I'd do this:
Refuse to go to camp at age 9 ( bullied for being a little chubby which resulted in food and body obsession and eating disorders.)
Go to AA and/or NA and STAY Instead of leaving for years. Nothing to be gained from relapse!
Put every extra dollar into Amazon stock when Amazon becomes a company.
Do not go to nursing school. Instead become a forest ranger or anything where I work alone.
Live in a warm climate and in a remote area.

To elaborate some, I'll add a third type:

3) Go back to save some cultural object (ie. piece of art, book, etc).

My premise is based on the ability to repeatedly go back and is based on gaining this tech from aliens.

It quickly becomes apparent that a group (secret) of people could do this more safely and efficiently as well as provide ethical grounding (Ie. we all have to agree, etc). These would be recruited from the people that have been saved from premature death. They would not be forced, and could join later if they wish. If they do not join they would be asked to keep the secret, but even if they do spill the beans people will believe them about as much as alien abduction.

The group would have be exist secretly as this tech can't be allowed to fall into the wrong hands which is problematic but not insurmountable. Fake companies, cover professions such as archeologists, academics, or even operating out of a prehistory time period all all ideas.

Preventing someone's death is the most rewarding but also timeline risky. The other two could be handled a bit safer. A cultural treasure could be hidden/buried back in time and then arranged to be found today. The same can be done with any knowledge learned. For example what I learn about the batttle of waterloo could be disguised as a diary written right after the battle, and then again hidden in some fashion so as to be found today.

I’d take cases of disposable lighters back to the gold rush and trade them for gold.

I think you'd get a lot more gold if you went back with your fire sticks to the pre-contact Aztecs. But be careful, ok?

Codex-Mendoza.png

;)

To elaborate some, I'll add a third type:

3) Go back to save some cultural object (ie. piece of art, book, etc).

My premise is based on the ability to repeatedly go back and is based on gaining this tech from aliens.

It quickly becomes apparent that a group (secret) of people could do this more safely and efficiently as well as provide ethical grounding (Ie. we all have to agree, etc). These would be recruited from the people that have been saved from premature death. They would not be forced, and could join later if they wish. If they do not join they would be asked to keep the secret, but even if they do spill the beans people will believe them about as much as alien abduction.

The group would have be exist secretly as this tech can't be allowed to fall into the wrong hands which is problematic but not insurmountable. Fake companies, cover professions such as archeologists, academics, or even operating out of a prehistory time period all all ideas.

Preventing someone's death is the most rewarding but also timeline risky. The other two could be handled a bit safer. A cultural treasure could be hidden/buried back in time and then arranged to be found today. The same can be done with any knowledge learned. For example what I learn about the batttle of waterloo could be disguised as a diary written right after the battle, and then again hidden in some fashion so as to be found today.
This is really interesting, I love how much you know your stuff here :eek: Big props for detail!!! I totally agree with saving a cultural object, that seems to have some importance :) Like Egypt stuff with the animal heads based on Gods would be real cool, not to mention a CAT from Egyptian times?!?! Then everyone now would love it because we still love cats :33

I often daydream about this and it basically has formed two types.

1. Go back to observe/record some historic event. Without interferring. Being a studier of military history it is usually some battle we have little or no record of or something much debated. The hard part being how to do it without getting killed myself. ;)

2. Go back to prevent some misfortune to someone that is calculated not to change subsequent timeline in detrimental fashion. Usually single individuals (ie. preventing a accident/murder or trying to intervene with someone to prevent a suicide.
That last point sounds really really good like it could really help people out. Good going :)

Not according to Futurama it isn't!

Speaking of which, as a Futurama fan I would also be curious to see what New York looks like c. 3000.

And now I'm going wayyy off topic, but can you believe that the "future" in Back to the Future is now 8 years ago?
True true true! It's funny what they thought 2015 was going to look like :p:p It was a pretty good year, but nowadays it's more about modernism and minimalism rather than futurism. We haven't reached that point of super advanced technology yet :eek: :eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom