• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tics or Compulsive behavior?

aggie

My son, age 10, has got different tics that varies over time. Or maybe it is compulsive behavior, I am not sure. Or is it both at the same time? At the moment he jumps on the spot and make a spinn, 360 degrees. He needs to do this for example 1-3 times before he brushes his teeth, 1-2 times before he goes out the door and so on. Is this a tic or does it sound more like a compulsary behavior? He is well aware about this, he sometimes tell me, "wait mum I just need to spinn".

Yep. That sounds like OCD. I have it. Formally diagnosed in 1982.

Ritualistic behaviors. Can't go to bed at night without checking to see if my door is locked. Many times. Even when I know I already checked. Same with my auto burglar alarm. And I have perceived consequences for doing the most benign things. Almost like superstition on steroids. And yet while I'm completely aware of it, I'm more often than not powerless to stop it.

Yes OCD, my son has it too, began around age 7. Started with having to turn the lights on and off a certain number of times before leaving a room, then going up and down the stairs a certain number of times. It is an anxiety-based condition that is very common in kids with ASD. There are behavioral treatments (e.g. cognitive behavior therapy) but at 10 he's probably too young (at least it didn't work with my son for that reason). We dealt with it OK but eventually my son's anxiety got to be so severe that we had to use medication. Which has worked great for him.

It could be OCD, but what you've said here is certainly not enough information to satisfy the diagnostic criteria. The need to spin could just be from vestibular hyposensitivity. Does he have other compulsions, anxiety, or other sensory seeking behaviors?

New Threads

Top Bottom