• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thunderstorms

Always was really afraid of close lightening. And the loud cracks of thunder can make me scream. If at home I have a windowless walk-in closet. Just sit it out in there. When it is constant lightening I plug my ears.

I was struck once on an old corded phone. It hit a palm by the window, I was on the phone, it went into the ground then into all the underground wires and cables and went through my ear and out my mouth. Blew the wall phone in the kitchen off into the floor. Knocked the curtains off, burnt the light bulbs into the sockets and blew up a tv, burning the table top under it.
I remember everything just went black but I didn't go unconcious. My left ear hurt where it went in and my teeth ached where it came out. My parents were in the same room and were holding me by the head and shoulders when my lights came back on. I was able to just get up and see the damages and said "Wow, the lights went off for a few seconds and look at what it did." Then I realised it was daytime and the lights that went out were mine! No worse for the the wear. Didn't need any medical help. Guess I can stand a lot of energy or miracles do happen.

Talking about how total dark affects you...I always wondered why in total dark, like in a cave with no light type dark or even tunnels, I feel dizzy and funny in my head, but if I shut my eyes it goes away. Weird. No light is no light, right? :confused:

I love thunderstorms. I turn off all the lights, open the curtains and just lie back and enjoy the show.
It might help that serious tornadoes are incredibly rare where I live, and although lightning struck my house once, it only did material damage.

Here in the UK we don't get tornado's and stuff so i can enjoy a thunderstorm without worrying. I love thunderstorms - the smells, sounds, lights... and the accompanying rain!

I used to live in the desert southwest which gets huge thunderstorms. As long as they were not right over the house I was okay. If the storms were exploding overhead, I'd go to my room with my cats. But I used to sit l watching out the big window as the lightning receded into the distance.

How do you and thunderstorms mix?

In short, they don't. I am terrified of thunder and lightening. Mainly because when I was very young, there was a thunderstorm and it caused a blackout. I was on the landing in our house and all the lights suddenly went out, then there was a huge flash of lightening that lit up the landing through the bathroom window. That and the noise from thunder have meant that even now at 31, I hide under a duvet if there's a storm.

Where I've lived, we've never had many large storms and I used to be fine with them. Then two years ago a freak storm hit our house that literally started to tear the roof of our house. I've had a slight fear of lightning and heavy rain ever since.

Saw
There's currently a severe thunderstorm raging on outside my house: near-black clouds, lightning, thunder, the whole package.

After a good ten minutes of hiding in our (windowless) bathroom when I thought a tornado was about to spawn outside, I decided to start hiding behind my computer and cautiously watch the storm from through the window instead. I know I already posted a thread today, but I thought this would be fitting.

How do you and thunderstorms mix? Not like a heavy rainstorm, but an all-out constant lightning and thunder, dark clouds, wind, hail, etc. storm, or whenever the radio/TV issues a "severe thunderstorm warning".

I, for one, get really, really anxious when it comes to storms like this and often grab one of our cats and hide in our bathroom and monitor the local weather non-stop on my tablet until it blows over. Saying that I'm terrified of lightning would be an understatement; it's mostly the possibility of getting struck. And the thunder, especially when it's extremely loud and sudden, makes me jump probably twenty feet. However, I like a good rain every once in a while (I actually prefer days when it's raining because sunny days are more likely to be hot days), as long as it's not flooding the local communities and accompanied by the aforementioned thunder and lightning. Unfortunately, for me, this is probably the fifth thunderstorm we've had in a row lately... and each new only seems to get worse.

On a related note, how about power-outages? This specific storm knocked the power out for a full five seconds (the horror!) earlier and I'm still feeling on edge; the storm hasn't ended, after all. It could always happen again. When there's a complete, several-hours-long power outage though, it usually leaves me extremely anxious, irritable, and just plain jumpy. Don't know why, it's just that thick, dizzying blackness. I cannot stand that disoriented, blind feeling you get when it's pitch black like that. I mean, if the power cuts out during the day and the Sun is out, then I normally don't mind, but when the Sun goes down and the power still isn't on... that's when I begin to panic. I feel like that may be an ASD thing though because, even in the dead of night, my NT parents are totally chill with it.

Enough said, I think. Thoughts?

1200px-Thunderstorm_over_Corfu.jpg

An accurate representation of what we're dealing with... except darker because it's 9pm.
Saw A man from the us on tv who now has a seizure disorder which is killing him as he was struck by lightning that had no where to go so stayed in him
he has electricity permanently seizing him and HES dying
doctors cant cure it HES lived 6 years

I used to live in the desert southwest which gets huge thunderstorms. As long as they were not right over the house I was okay. If the storms were exploding overhead, I'd go to my room with my cats. But I used to sit l watching out the big window as the lightning receded into the distance.
Out of curiosity, did you ever see any duststorms when you lived in the desert?

The local weather is forecasting another storm later tonight. The rest of this week and the weekend isn't looking much better.

This is what we've been dealing with for weeks now: seemingly never-ending thunderstorms and rain. Will it ever end? :grimacing:

Last edited:
I love thunderstorms, I usually go out and jump around in the rain with the feeling I'm the only one outside. But where I live thunderstorms aren't that severe, so it's relatively safe.

Saw
Saw A man from the us on tv who now has a seizure disorder which is killing him as he was struck by lightning that had no where to go so stayed in him
he has electricity permanently seizing him and HES dying
doctors cant cure it HES lived 6 years
You mean the lightning is still inside of his body kinda? I would think something like that could easily be remedied by touching something metal, like when you have static electricity.

Then again, I could be misunderstanding your post entirely.

I'm scared of thunderstorms while I like the look of the lightning I find I get scared of the loud noises the thunder makes,it's something I never grew out of as a kid but my dad use to like them he use to watch them from the back veranda of our old place.

My power outages are always from idiots running into the power poles and knocking the wires loose. >: Why can't people just watch where they're driving?

If there is bad lighting I unplug everything in the house like a maniac. I get freaked out if there is a storm and I'm not home to unplug everything. I have many surge protectors but I still trust me actually unplugging everything a thousand times more. When I was a kid lightning struck the house and blew out every single thing in it more than once. x.x Terrible, terrible.

Out of curiosity, did you ever see any duststorms when you lived in the desert?

Yes indeed I saw a few of them over the years. Luckily they don't happen where my house was located. When I saw them I was driving. I was going away from the line of storm but it caught up to me in my truck on my way back up to Flagstaff from Phoenix. I had to pull over because there was a total lack of visibility. Also one closes off all windows and air intakes (obviously).

My power outages are always from idiots running into the power poles and knocking the wires loose. >: Why can't people just watch where they're driving?
Just the other day, the power went out one morning because some chick ran into a power pole... in broad daylight... on a clear day. If I remember correctly, she was intoxicated. :rolleyes:

Though I do understand if people crash into power poles during a storm; it's harder to see when it's cloudy and a foggy, rainy mess and the roads are slick if it rains enough, making cars much more prone to slippings and sliding.

I love thunderstorms, they get pretty rough over here in Texas. When it happens, I usually am outside in it, to get closer to the sounds, I like feeling the sounds against my body, and feel the rain. If it is bedtime, but there is a storm outside, I will leave the windows open, so I can get the full impact of the storm. I'm also a backpacker, so if the power gets knocked out, it is not a big deal, and I'm prepared. It is the colors, smell, sounds of the storm I love so much....I also like to play with my magnetometer when there is storm.

I love thunderstorms as long as they are distant, I find the soft rumble of distant thunder very soothing especially if its one brewing up on hot summers day. I don't like loud cracks of thunder as they give me a fright and hurt my ears. We very rarely get tornadoes in New Zealand although I was once caught in a storm that produced one (I never saw or heard it).

Bigger the better, the scarier the better, the more they shriek the better.
...sailing into the teeth of a Hurricane would be fun for me.

Actually I had planned to run the Death bar in Portland in the biggest storm I could find to slip the Navy....:rolleyes:

Was going to boost my sailing speed to 24 or more knots with a hydrofoil, and lifting baffled claw sail combination that would have rivaled a Olympic :sailboat:racer!:D
Translation for Land slugs that means I could reached powerboat racing speeds maybe?

Perhaps I am half mad???...the line between genius and madness is largely a matter of opinion...or who is getting cash $$$ off of it?

Nothing like a good roaring storm to make you feel alive tho!:cool:

I was terrified of storms until I was about 10, thought TVs would catch fire and I'd get super paranoid and have everyone turn everything off, and throw one hell of a tantrum if someone tried to use something electric as long as it was so much as raining.
And at some point, maybe around 15, I discovered I loved thunderstorms (as long as I'm inside). I still don't like to use the phone, though, even now.

New Threads

Top Bottom