• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thought Overload

Stik

I often experience thought overload where I start thinking about something and it spirals into something else and the thoughts keep coming and I have a hard time keeping up. Then my brain gets overwhelmed and I become worthless. I just experienced it and it sucks because I was getting inspired to make art, but now I'm overwhelmed and stuck. Does anyone else experience this? Does anyone have tips to handling this problem? It's really depressing when I come up with a great idea but become so overwhelmed that it never gets done.

Since 'whelm' originally meant a 'wave' (water, not hi/bye bye) , 'overwhelmed' is a feeling of being submerged.
A person submerged by a huge wave of water/thoughts, would do well to reduce the size of the wave.
How to do that?
Carry away some of the water in pails? That is a way to break the water into a smaller amount. Pailful by pailful or even a glassful or a cup. Nobody is likely to be overwhelmed by a cup of water....

How to do that with thoughts/thinking...
Break the thoughts into groups. Maybe you have some sharpies or pencils you like. Take some paper and put the ideas/thoughts onto the paper. Draw boxes around the thought groups. Underline.
Do what it takes to get them shaped into workable sizes and in relation to what you want to do.

You don't have to be crushed by your own productive creative thought process.
Pick one idea and do a little with it.

When what I am working on seems to be too big, that is what I do.
Take it apart and find an approachable aspect.
Then I start.

It seems our beautifully complex, compelling, kaleidoscopic autistic mindscape has about a gazillion spinning galaxies in it, doesn't it? ;) It seems that at "rest," the autistic mind still tends to be wildly active. Brains in general are considerable resource hogs, needing lots of nutrient-dense foods consumed regularly to support active, healthy cognition. An autistic brain constantly engaging in it's "maladaptive daydreaming" (odd term for something so amazing) will be using up lots of glucose.

How are you supporting your brain? It's a Ferrari, so it needs top-grade fuel.
Consider fish oil (add vitamin E, as the body uses up vitamin E to process the fish oil)
Add a multi-strain probiotic to your daily, to help you absorb nutrients better and improve your mood/immunity.
Find a whole-foods multivitamin. Swanson has a very affordable one to try.
Try meditation. It will give your brain a break, and make your thinking feel refreshed.
Drink more water. The brain functions best when well-hydrated.
Get the rest you need. Sleep restores and enlivens our brains as well as our bodies.

I hope you feel better soon, and can create some amazing artwork. I am cheering you on!

Last edited:
image.jpg
I often experience thought overload where I start thinking about something and it spirals into something else and the thoughts keep coming and I have a hard time keeping up. Then my brain gets overwhelmed and I become worthless. I just experienced it and it sucks because I was getting inspired to make art, but now I'm overwhelmed and stuck. Does anyone else experience this? Does anyone have tips to handling this problem? It's really depressing when I come up with a great idea but become so overwhelmed that it never gets done.
I'm replying before reading other's responses so that I stay focused. This happens to me All The Time. I am a visual sort of person so my working solution is likewise. I assign the negative stuff to the stupid little demon, then I prioritize the other stuff on paper. Bullet points, and sometimes more than one page. If I don't do this I can literally spend months going around in tracks. And not on a fun go-cart.
I hope this helps.
Edited to add, I almost forgot the meanie stupid little demon.

I like drawing with fat markers or crayons on big paper--think butcher's block paper taped to the wall--to encourage big thoughts (and let my busy internal brain sort out composition). Then the littler thoughts have places I can put them. If I don't have littler thoughts, then a paper-tearing exercise sometimes helps. Anything so that I can't get too precise, and have to get clear on what color, form, line, shape, and composition want to do.

If all else fails, it's time to stare at water or a tree. That helps me, more often than not.

It HURTS my brain when this happens ( but oh so thankfully, not often). It is not like a headache; it is like someone is rubbing on one part of my brain constantly and I could cry with it. The only relief is sleep. Even when I do something, it doesn't give up and it is mentally anguishing.

But as I say, the last episode was about a year ago and I wonder if it is related to concentrating on thoughts; a bit like breathing, for we do it naturally, but when we become AWARE of it, suddenly it feels almost sore!

Also, oh yes how the negative mind works! I am determined to learn to drive what they call in France: voiture sans permis which means: a car without license. I know I can drive it, but am petrified that something will go wrong! I have little voices saying: huh, you think you are so clever that you will be able to pop into your little car and drive to the supermarket? Well, girly you are just a puny little nothing who has 0 to offer and I have to PUSH those thoughts away and say: it is down to ME not this damn blasted cruel voice in my head! I hasten to add, it is just a whisper.

I usually get this when at night when I'm trying to sleep and its fairly awful. It'll go on all night, and if I'm lucky there will be some sleep sprinkled here and there :confounded:
Lucky it only happens every now and again.
I never go straight to bed straight after socializing (no matter how late it is) because I'm pretty much guaranteed to have a night like this, obsessing over everything I said, what I could have said, what I will say later.........blah blah. If it's really bad I'll even dream it!:fearscream:

I wish my brain would be a good brain and do what I tell it every once and a while :weary:
I can't really offer many suggestions, but I know what it's like.

This is a problem for me every minute of every day. A great example of is this reply. I read this post yesterday and have tried to reply several times, but my thoughts get in the way and I erase it. I apologize for not having a answer for you but I'm looking for it and if I find it before you do the information will be passed on.

It seems that at "rest," the autistic mind still tends to be wildly active. Brains in general are considerable resource hogs, needing lots of nutrient-dense foods consumed regularly to support active, healthy cognition. /QUOTE]

Is this why I can eat anything and everything and still be skinny? [emoji513][emoji509][emoji488]

New Threads

Top Bottom