• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Those who have dealt with the SSA--was my experience common?

Probably the most pragmatic thing to do is to contact any number of members of the bar who specialize in SSA cases and can advise you on what kind of options and terms would work for you. After all, I would venture that a considerable number of such clients are likely to be strapped for cash as well. So it stands to reason that hopefully their terms and fees would take this into consideration. Perhaps similar to those seeking tax relief from the IRS.

The politics of government entitlements in this country is inherently contentious given the very nature of the political divide. Reflecting those who support the concept of a modern welfare state and those who fundamentally oppose it.

Resulting in classic political compromise. The state provides such entitlements, but zealously regulates them limiting both real eligibility and cases of fraud- by design.
That's a good suggestions; from a quick Google search, how do I weed out a good lawyer from a bad one, though? Last thing I want to do is get scammed or something.

The whole thing is just...sad, sad, sad. What can we do to make things better? I mean, I know change cannot happen over night, but...

You can also write or speak to your congresscritters office. Part of their executive functioning is to guide their constituents through the beaurocracy and advocate for them.
Wait, really? Hmm, I had no idea this also could be an option. What might you suggest I say?

Wait, really? Hmm, I had no idea this also could be an option. What might you suggest I say?
You can go through your experience and relate that you are worried about a decision because it did not seem that you were heard. You can ask them if they can follow up and reiterate that the assistance is needed.

That's a good suggestions; from a quick Google search, how do I weed out a good lawyer from a bad one, though? Last thing I want to do is get scammed or something.

The whole thing is just...sad, sad, sad. What can we do to make things better? I mean, I know change cannot happen over night, but...
You might start with services that supposedly list preferred attorneys who specialize in Social Security law. Though ultimately your choice may come down to geographical considerations over all others.

Social Security lawyers are paid only if you win your case. Fees are contingent based on that. Generally, if you win, they then can then collect the lesser of 25% of your back pay, or $7200, if you prevail, but they could petition to collect more if several hearings were involved, if the judge thought that extra charges were reasonable.

Although looking into a local Social Security lawyer now is OK, it may make no sense to hire one now as a decision is expected soon. It is not that they could do anything now other than to listen to the wrongs you told them they did. It is very unlikely they would contact the DDS or SSA until a decision was given. Why complain of wrongs to that agency before a decision, as in spite they could then rubber stamp a denial, when they could have been leaning the other way.

The same is true for contacting the local Representative. It would not be a great idea to do that before a decision was reached, for the same reason. One thing you can do before the decision is reached, while the info from that exam was fresh in your head, if it was not recorded, is to detail everything you remember that either may have impacted the exam, showed any bias or unfairness towards you from the examiner, involved some mistake , other wrong, substandard unprofessional attitude, lack of competency and comprehensiveness, etc.

That information should be given at the Reconsideration, 1st Appeal stage, and so should new medical and witness information you have to support the disability, if an appeal is even needed at all, as if you have a prior firm Autism diagnosis and it is the primary condition, and no SGA work history, excluding part time non-SGA jobs, you have two major components there in your favor.

This is because Autism is seen by the SSA as one of those conditions that if they get benefits, almost always they would be put in a 5-7 year review timeline category, as opposed to 18 month review timelines and 3 year timelines, seen in most other mental health condition cases, as they know no cure exists and there is no widespread accepted treatment, and assume no noticeable improvement. As well, one of the factors the SSA obsesses about is SGA (Substantial Gainful Activity) ability ,when considering approval or not,and it is far easier to prove disability if no SGA work happened.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom