• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Third time's the charm?

The mere FACT that I can't live on my own is a source of shame, as is the prospect of having to go to a group home, or worse, a NURSING home after my mother passes.
If you don't mind me asking, which state do you live in? My 30yo son has a mental age of 6-10yo and the system (here, in northern Wisconsin) lets him live in a supervised apartment. There is assistance nearby, if he needs it, but he is free to come and go as he pleases.

@Crossbreed I live in Oklahoma. My mom has tried getting me into a group home for people with developmental issues here, but has had no success because my IQ far exceeds the cap of 70. Her health is deteriorating due to a surgical injury she sustained almost 9 years ago. I once read that Oklahoma is actually one of the worst states for autism. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much established here.

..., but has had no success because my IQ far exceeds the cap of 70.
When I was looking for work, I met with a similar problem at my state's employment agency. They knew how to help people with physical and/or learning disabilities, but they couldn't seem to grasp the the concept of a deficiency in social instinct.

My name is Amber Vasami. I'm a 33-year-old legally blind woman who also suffers from Asperger's Syndrome. I've been on a couple other autism forums, but became inactive partially due to my Autism Shame clashing with their perceived message of Autism Pride. I finally decided to join my third autism forum after coming to an old thread on sugar addiction, which I'm also struggling with right now.

When NOT being overwhelmed with Autism Shame, hating myself for having a sugar addiction, and hating being on Prozac, I enjoy watching robot-centric science-fiction cartoons like Transformers, drawing, role-playing, playing video games like those in the Sonic and Mario series, and ROM hacking Sonic and Super Mario World.
Hi Amber, welcome, I have found this forum to be friendly and very supportive and I am sure you'll soon be thinking that the third time's a charm.

New Threads

Top Bottom